Speaker selection for Onkyo NR801

Options
Fred
Fred Posts: 2
edited December 2003 in Speakers
I jsut purchased an Onkyo NR801 7.1 HT reciever and I am trying to decide what speakers to get. I have a pair of Polk monitor 10 that are great. I was going to move them to a zone 2 room and get 5 speakers and a sub for the main room. I dont have a lot of space (or cash for that matter) so I was thinking about bookshelf size. Crutchfield has 4 RTi38, an CSi30, and a PSW 303 for $750. Is this a good combo? They done have the RTi28 recommended in the Polk system finder. An alternate would be 2 RTi6, 2RTi4, CSi3, and a PSW 303 for $939. Is the newer models worth the extra bucks? I cant find any stores that have both to listen to the differences. Any suggestions or comments would be welcome.
Post edited by Fred on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2003
    Options
    The older RTi's are the better value right now, and an excellent choice for HT. The RTi38 is a very nice bookshelf. I think your choice/idea of RTi38/CSi30 is great.

Any reason you don't like dipole/bipole speakers? FXi30/50? If you watch more movies than listen to 5.1 music....you may want to look into using a surround effects speaker.

I have been told that the PSW505 is the better choice in the previous lineup. I would suggest that over the PSW303.

The new line uses a Vifa brand tweeter, and IMO sounds better, but that is entirely subjective. Aesthetically they are 180 degrees, so bear that in mind. Either way, the new line RTi equivalent, is also a good choice. Same sub upgrade recommendation would apply
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Fred
    Fred Posts: 2
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I have a few more questions based on your response. What did you mean by "Aesthetically they are 180 degrees, so bear that in mind." Do the newer speakers have to be set up differently? WRT the FXi30 surround speakers, I am not sure how to place them in my room. The room is 22'x14' with a 12' opening at one end, windows in the opposite end wall, a 4' opening in the middle of one 22' wall, and a fireplace opposite the 4' opening. Not exactly ideal. My listening position is against the wall near the 4' opening facing into the window/fireplace corner. I would have to put the surround speakers on the same wall as the sofa/chair listening position. I can not put them behind. Also, due to the large opening at one end, I am concerned that the diffuse sound would be lost. At one point, I considered ceiling speakers, but I think bookshelf speakers would probably sound better. Any suggestions?
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Since you can not put your rears behind you, the fx series are a better choice. They can go in corners "facing" your listening position. Hope you have enough wall at the open end for this. Sounds like you have a tough room.

As far as the asthetics comment, I think doro's just referring to the look of the speakers themsleves.

I agree with doro's rec's for you..

Welcome to the Club...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Check your local Circuit City for good prices on the Rti28 and 38s. I just bought a pair of 28s for $160 to be used as surrounds. Due to placement restrictions, I decided to get the 28s instead of the Fxi30s. They also had a Csi40 for $199, which is one-half the normal price.

I'd recommend a pair of 38s up front, Csi30 or Csi40 for the center channel, a pair of 28s (or Fxi30's, if possible) in the rear and a Hsu STF-2 sub ($399). You ought to be able to get all of this for about $1,000.

Along with your receiver, this would be an awesome HT system.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I really find the new RTi's to be significantly better than last year's. You might want to have a listen before choosing. Value is in the ear of the beholder.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I think Tour's recommendation of mounting is the best idea. The FX speakers can radiate a much larger soundstage than a direct radiating speaker. The best idea would probably be too have them "fill" as much of that open space as possible.

I agree with Fireshoes, I also like the sound of the new line, try and get am ear on them. I would go with which best fits your pocket, you will not be dissappointed either way.

Yes, I meant the look of them is definetly more modern.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.