Little feat - waiting for columbus (numbered limited edition gold cd)

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,704
edited June 2011 in Music & Movies
Coming out this month.....finally!

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/85580?utm_campaign=

One of the greatest live rock recordings ever.
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Post edited by F1nut on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited August 2010
    F1nut wrote: »
    You sure do have that right!
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    edited August 2010
    Yes I did Mike and they sound good. Thanks!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2010
    That, JATP and "Live at Leeds" are my all time favs for live recordings. There are quite a few others but they are the tops.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2010
    The best live R&R recording (sonics and performance) extant, in my hardly humble opinion.

I have a nice copy on vinyl courtesy of our friend George Grand (of the Jersey Grands).
    Everyone who takes rock and roll and/or hifi seriously should seek out a copy of the MobileFidelity half-speed mastered LP set, I would further opine.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited August 2010
    Wow, this is awesome. One of my favorite live LPs ever. I have the two-CD remaster, with all the extra tracks from the shows? It's superb. Funny how the band was coming apart (at the time), hated each other, and yet put on the best effing show imaginable.

I was lucky enough to meet the band about 6 years ago, and they all signed the CD for me. (No Lowell...:()

Other favorite live LPs:
    Who "Live @ Leeds" (complete show)
    Purple "Made In Japan" (complete show)
    Kansas "Two For The Show"
    Tull "Bursting Out"
    Neil Young "Rust Never Sleeps"

What else?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2010
    Wow, this is awesome. One of my favorite live LPs ever. I have the two-CD remaster, with all the extra tracks from the shows? It's superb. Funny how the band was coming apart (at the time), hated each other, and yet put on the best effing show imaginable.

(I was lucky enough to meet the band about 6 years ago, and they all signed the CD for me. (No Lowell...:()

Other favorite live LPs:
    Who "Live @ Leeds" (complete show)
    Purple "Made In Japan" (complete show)
    Kansas "Two For The Show"
    Tull "Bursting Out"
    Neil Young "Rust Never Sleeps"

What else?

MC

That is cool. They're sill out there, treading the boards, AFAIK.

(and, yes, the Rhino 2-CD set is also quite good)
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited August 2010
    Coming out this month.....finally!

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/85580?utm_campaign=

If you had to pick 3 what would be your other 2?

Me-- Allman Bros-Filmore
    Something that Hendrix did.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited August 2010
    Between this and the new Dead boxed set, this is going to be a tough month for the music budget!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • F1nut
    edited August 2010
    If you had to pick 3 what would be your other 2?

Me-- Allman Bros-Filmore
    Something that Hendrix did.

Fortunately, I can pick more than 3. :D

The top of my list has always been The Who - Live at Leeds. The rest in no order...
    Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus (I was at one of the Lisner shows)
    The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East
    The Kinks - Live/The Road (hard to find)
    Eric Clapton - Just One Night
    Albert Collins and the Icebreakers - Live in Japan
    The Rolling Stones - Get Your Ya-Ya's Out
    Aimee Mann - Live at St. Ann's Warehouse

President of Club Polk

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited August 2010
    Great F1! Now I have to buy the ones of those I don't already have.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • F1nut
    edited August 2010
    Doug, I'm always happy to help others spend their money. :)

President of Club Polk

• Micah Cohen
    edited August 2010
    Yes! "Fillmore East"! I spaced.

I love that these live albums are sometimes all you need from that artist, catching the artist at an absolute zenith. You can basically toss all your Allman Bros studio albums and just stick with "Fillmore East." Same with Purple and Little Feat. The band's are THERE, caught perfect, and there's no need for anything else.

There have been about four or five different "Fillmore East" releases. I think I have the one with the outer sleeve, that went back to the "original tapes"? Which is the best one?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2010
    Just to clarify my position a little bit... The Who was the greatest R&R band (to my way of thinking, at any rate).
    Live at Leeds is very good and it certainly captures them at or near their peak.
    It's still not my fave, though... I think that's because I grew up with the original album (with all the cool junk inside the jacket), which was just too abstracted from the show. The subsequent expanded versions (there are two, I think; I just have the original expanded one, on 1 CD, with Tattoo, A Quick One, etc. added) definitely help in that regard - but the 1LP original version was just not enough meat to really portray the 'OO of the late 1960s.
  • F1nut
    edited August 2010
    There have been about four or five different "Fillmore East" releases. I think I have the one with the outer sleeve, that went back to the "original tapes"? Which is the best one?

MC

IMO, the new SHM-SACD version sounds the best.

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited August 2010
    I want the CD and the Vinyl... Guess I better get my pre order in..
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited August 2010
    F1nut: Thanks for the recommendation of Eric Clapton's "Just One Night!"

Dang, dude, that is one EXCELLENT album! Just got it & absolutely digging it! Thanks so much & if you know of any others like it, I'd love to know about them too!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • F1nut
    edited August 2010
    F1nut: Thanks for the recommendation of Eric Clapton's "Just One Night!"

Dang, dude, that is one EXCELLENT album! Just got it & absolutely digging it! Thanks so much & if you know of any others like it, I'd love to know about them too!

Glad you like it. Do you mean music with Eric Clapton or just good live recordings in general?

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited August 2010
    Keiko wrote: »
    Just read on facebook that Richie Hayward passed away. :(

RIP Richie

http://www.undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=11610

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that.

RIP

President of Club Polk

• Micah Cohen
    edited August 2010
    but the 1LP original version was just not enough meat to really portray the 'OO of the late 1960s

Right. But the expanded version, the whole show, is one of the best hard rock/punk rock LPs ever. I mean, you just don't even need "punk rock" if you have the complete "Live @ Leeds." Could it be the best-recorded rock rhythm section ever? I think it captures the band at the very peak of ripeness. Yum.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Micah Cohen
    edited August 2010
    Richie Hayward passed away

Great unsung percussionist. :(

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2010
    Just read on facebook that Richie Hayward passed away. :(

RIP Richie

http://www.undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=11610

I had no idea. That is very sad.
  • BottomFeeder
    edited August 2010
    F1nut: Music just like that. Doesn't even have to be live. The more I listen to Clapton, the more I realize that I like his bluesy/rock style.

I realize that this may be a hard question to answer, but hey, I'm always on the prowl for good tuneage.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2010
    I bought the first Little Feat album "Little Feat" when it first came out for one reason only. Little Feat is one band that Roy Estrada from the original Mothers performed in after Frank disbanded The Mothers. I bought it cause Roy Estrada was going to be on it. What a pleasant surprise to see a great drummer like Hayward also aboard, and of course that lunatic George. An instant hit with this consumer. Try that album. If for nothing else, the first Pirate Rock song, "Crazy Captain Gunboat Willy."
  • F1nut
    edited August 2010
    F1nut: Music just like that. Doesn't even have to be live. The more I listen to Clapton, the more I realize that I like his bluesy/rock style.

I realize that this may be a hard question to answer, but hey, I'm always on the prowl for good tuneage.

Ok, I'll work up a list.

President of Club Polk

• BottomFeeder
    edited August 2010
    WOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Thanks & can't wait!
  • F1nut
    edited August 2010
    Ok, here's a few more.

Eric Clapton - Blues (must have)
    Crossroads Vol. 2 (4 cd set) (must have)
    Unplugged (live set)
    Layla (all time classic)
    461 Ocean Boulevard (recorded after he kicked heroin, a classic)

President of Club Polk

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2010
    Janey bought me the MoFi, 180g of this for my birthday. It's a great album. The MoFi, WFC is on my wish list.

I like the debut album better than any of the follow-ups.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2010
    I like the debut album better than any of the follow-ups.

The one Little Feat album I don't have...
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2010
    Ok, here's a few more.

Eric Clapton - Blues (must have)
    Crossroads Vol. 2 (4 cd set) (must have)
    Unplugged (live set)
    Layla (all time classic)
    461 Ocean Boulevard (recorded after he kicked heroin, a classic)

All excellent suggestions. As far as I'm concerned they are all must have!
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited August 2010
    Hmmmm. Went to the Mofi website and it isn't available yet. Says "shipping TBD". Wish they would hurry up. The other Little Feat albums they have released receintly have all been excellent recordings.