Today's finds....

RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited December 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 - $20
2 Technics Digital tuners, 1 Onkyo - $10 for the lot

Anyone else have any recent finds?
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2003
    12 pack Miller Light....$9
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    12 pack Miller Light....$9

Is that from your local SevenEleven House of Pawn, Mark? ;)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2003
    REAL bad case of gas. Absolutely free with $5.99 all you can eat Chinese buffet.

Nice score there you freak Texan.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited December 2003
    I do not know how you do it russ, I found a pair of epi model 1200 for 10 bucks. Surrounds need replacing on the woofers and they have a plastic bezel around them that is glued to the basket and cover part of the surround,does anyone have any ideas on what might help bring them off with out any damage? The grills are perfect with no snags and the cabinets and drivers are perfect except for the dryrot, they look like they just came out of the box. Date code on the back places them in 83. Think they would be fun to play with in a two channel rig?
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2003
    Polkatese - You know it!! :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2003
    Does the bezel prevent you from removing the driver from the cab? If you can get em OUT - a foam shop can surely take care of them. For all we know, that bezel may be part of the surround kit, and gets replaced anyway.

How do they sound? Don't put any real power to them, but if you are ok with the tweeter tonal signature, then yes, they are worth keeping. I'm not familar off hand with the 1200, is it a dome tweet, or a horn job?

I've told you guys how I do it, they key is consistency, and opening your pie hole to ask questions. On the p-dimes, this was the 8th time I had visited this particular pawn shop in 6 weeks or so. The past 7 visits, NOTHING. (the visit prior to said 8 was the Boston A100 score that needed foam for $9.) I'm there about once a week, and if I don't see anything on the shelf, I ask whats about to get put out.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited December 2003
    Good finds there Russ, Congrats.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2003
    i can't find anything like the deals Russ and Dr. Spec find... i've only been looking for a short time.. i think i've got some stiff comptition.. some other people in the area are hard core hi fi nuts.. always looking for vintage stuff.. esp tube gear.. freaks that they are. :p:D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2003
    Great finds guys! I'm jealous.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • hotwheelman
    edited December 2003
    Russ, the woofer comes right out without a hitch. I was thinking that if I could get the plastic bezel free then I could just do the refoam job myself. If I got into any real trouble the guy that I know that does repair work is just a phone call away and the last time we talked he had mentioned doing refoams. I may order a set of butyl rubber surrounds if I can get the bezels off.

These are horn loaded with a 12 inch woofer and 5 1/2 inch cone mid, my son and I had them hooked up last night and the horn is very smooth, not typical behavior for a horn plus there are adjustments for the mid and horn on the front of the cabinet so I can attenuate if need be. If p.e. still sells the stuff I may order some of the treatment for paper cones, you just put it on with a good quality paint brush and it gives you the look of the older polk drivers. I guess that it gives some damping to the cone surface and helps protect them from drying out.
  • hotwheelman
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by George Grand
    REAL bad case of gas. Absolutely free with $5.99 all you can eat Chinese buffet.

George, I can attest to the after chinese gas buffet ordeal, happens to me every time we eat there and hits with a fury.
    My wife is like ( what the....oh jeez couldn't you have waited til you got out of the car).:D
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2003
    Nice Russ. I've got an old Technics Tuner (model ST-G6T) I bought new a decade ago. Spec's were awesome for the price.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited December 2003
    So where are you guys finding these sweet deals? internet or are you out every weekend checking out garage sales lol.