What is your favorite tweeter?

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,162
edited December 2003 in Speakers
I currently own 3 series of RT speakers. Each Tweeter has its own trait. They all fail in one way that the other dosnt...

My personal favorite is the Polymer that is in the RTx series (RT3(?), RT5, RT7). It has gotta have the most seperation out of the three (Silk, Tri Lam, Polymer). The snare is right on target, its exact, the cymbals are very clear, with each ring intact with the sound. Everything about this tweeter, the detail, the clearness, seperation, its just...good. It's not overly bright, it's not laid back.

Man oh man, the acoustic guitar, man what can I say about the acoustic guitar. It has this killer metallic sound, each string that is hit, comes in clearly and seperate. I can't believe the sound.

Thats my take on the Polymer. Its my personal favorite out of the 4 different tweeters in my system right now. (Polymer, Tri Lam, Silk, Klipsch Tweeter).

My second favorite has gotta be the Tri Lam. I was ashamed to belittle the RT35i to surrounds after being a part of my mains for over 2 years. Also being the first speakers I ever bought, it just sucked. The difference in sound though, placed them on the shelves. The Tri Lam has killer definetion, not quite as open as the Polymer. Not as seperated, like with cymbals, snares, etc. Vocals and such are right there on the same level. The biggest thing that probally placed it on the shelf was how bright it was. It sometimes just had to much force.

My least favorite has gotta be the silk. I just don't understand it. It's not very open, it holds little to no detail. Snares, cymbals seem to be all meshed together. You can definetely tell when you turn off the RT5 that lays on top of it. Although this tweeter holds its on specialty in soundstage and what not, it just isnt the clearest tweeter in my opinion.

I would love to hear some of the older tweeters, like in the SDA's and such. Hopefully sometime in my future I will obtain a pair to hear. Until then, the Polymer ranks in my book, the best Polk tweeter that I have heard.

What is your favorite, and why?

PS: All of the above is opinion, none of the above is based on facts, specs, or others opinions. Nothing above is attacking anyones speakers, or is meant to attack others speakers. Again, is all opinion.

- Sid
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2003
    Options
    all tubes: Tri-lams.

tube pre/ss amp: Ring radiator

ss pre/ss amp: Ring radiator

Like you said, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I find the tri=lams bring out emotions better than the ring radiator when powered by all tube set up. They sound so well behaved that way too:).

Looks like my ears are going to hear some new tweeters tomorrow. A metal dome horn tweeter from Klipsch. I'll post my first impression tomorrow in the 2ch forum.

Maurice
  • organ
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I just remembered. Didn't I tell you those RT5 kick serious butt?:) Glad to hear you really like the sound. My parents are really enjoying them too in their system.

Maurice
  • organ
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Sorry.. double post
  • VR3
    edited December 2003
    Options
    3 replies, lol...

Anyways...

Yes the RT5 just gave me the exact sound I wanted in the high end. I have the mids where i want them. Hopefully a SVS can put the lows in place. My system is about to come to a close, and then its on to my room......no more wallpaper for me...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • agw
    agw Posts: 22
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I agree with your assessment on the silk tweeter. It always sounded like something was missing - not detailed, very "enclosed" sounding. I compared the new line to the previous one (Rti70 vs. Rti8) in my listening enviornment. Difference is like day and night. The new tweeter is much more detailed - open and airy. I have heard the tri-lam but not in an a/b against the new.
  • VR3
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Agw,
    Did you notice the RTi70 mid-basses to be enclosed sounding too...?
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Perhaps a bit nitpicky, but to be correct, the RT7 had the tri-lam tweeter, not the same one as the RT3 or 5 as was mentioned in the original post.

I think my favorite Polk tweeter (of the ones I've heard enough to have an opinion of) would have to be the tri-lam. Some people claim it's harsh, but not to my ears, on my gear. I didn't find the tweeter in the RTixx's to be an improvement. I have RT3's also and like them very much, but I prefer the additional sparkle the tri-lams offer.

Jason
  • agw
    agw Posts: 22
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Sid,

Yes I agree. I think it does sound enclosed overall due to the tweeter. Because of that the 70's sound as though there is more bass going on. I find the tweeter in the 8's not to be harsh at all. In an a/b comparison I found the 8's with a good sub to be the best combo. What is interesting is when I was demoed the 70's against the 8's at CC, it sounded like the 70's had more in the bass area and the high freq. to be about equal. But after I a/b'd them at home in my listening enviornment it was like night and day the difference. The 8's brought out detail I hadn't heard before on all kinds of familar material.
  • VR3
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Finally someone agrees with me!!! Thanks for sharing, anyone else?