How to switch components in a HS without compromise.

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited December 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
So, I have high powered SS stuff and low powered tube stuff. It depends on your mood which you want to mess with. Any ideas on how to switch amps quickly? Remember that this is my HS and the less connections and switches the better. As a matter of fact you want completely clean connections from CD/LP to amp to speakers, no places where the signal gets abused. I can't imagine what it is I'm asking for here and so that is why I'm asking. Maybe I'm thinking knife switches, maybe relays, maybe connectors which are easy to switch, who knows. Maybe even two sets of speakers, two sources etc. I'm open if anyone has an idea.
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Sounds like you are not busy enough :D

I would look into some Niles Audio equipment.

NILES AUDIO
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • madmax
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Niles is OK but keep in mind I want very little compromise. Remember that the difference in what type of spade connectors can make a reasonable difference so hooking up a switching box may not fill the bill. There may not be a reasonable solution here, I'm just fishing.
    madmax

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited December 2003
    Options
    set up more than one stereo, you have the gear, just change systems as the mood changes
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Just thinking about this last night. My preamp has two output connections, so I was thinking about hooking a tube amp to the unused output and either hooking up another set of speakers or moving the speakers cables from the other amp. I don't like the idea of a switch box. I won't want any extra in the signal path, KISS (keep it simple stupid) always works for me.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2003
    Options
    max,
    If you're talking about IC's and speaker runs, I really don't see a solution with which you'll be happy. At minimum you're adding 2 more connection on each side of the amp (per ch).... and that's if you don't count soldered joints...

Maybe you need to do something to reduce the number of mood swings... ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2003
    Options
    As suggested, setup another rig.

You can't have TOO many rigs Chuck.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I guess another rig is possible. Still thinking though. One Idea I got from elsewhere was to use push in speaker plugs instead of spade lugs to make it easy to change amp output connections.
    madmax

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited December 2003
    Options
    What about a patch-panel solution? Maybe order a "blank" rackmount panel from Middle Atlantic and try to mount some high quality terminals on it. Use very short cables to "patch" the amp you want into the system?...

Use 3 sets of HQ rca jacks; 1 set Preamp-In (L,R), 1 set Amp 1, 1 set Amp 2. Then use 2ea .5 meter interconnects to "patch" in the amp you want...

Just an idea
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited December 2003
    Options
    seems like a good idea to me, then you could also add binding posts, one for each amp, and plug in your speaker cable to there, so you could always leave it connected to your speakers. + side is that with the ease of access to the panel you shouldn't have a problem using spades as they will be easy to change out without having to twist your hand all over the place, - side is you will have a panel with your speaker cables, and interconnects dangling off of it.
  • madmax
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Hey Cer,
    You gave me a good idea, maybe. What if I hook up (-) sides with normal lugs to both amps and to the speakers. The only change would be to plug in the positive lead (from the speaker) to the desired amp.
    madmax

• Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I dunno, I would be hesitant to do something like that. If you are going to be changing the pos. anyways might as well change both. I think switching to banana plugs on the amp end of your cables would help your situation.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't MacGuyver it up Chuck.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Yeah, I wouldn't MacGuyver it up Chuck.

The (-) terminals wouldn't cause any problems if they stay hooked up...

Besides,
    I could take some gum, a pen, and a piece of chicken wire, hook it all together with some shoe laces, wrap a sock around it and hold it all together with my watch band and still come out ahead... (MacGuyver could do it)
    madmax

• RuSsMaN
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    The (-) terminals wouldn't cause any problems if they stay hooked up...

Maybe not, I'm not that smart on the electrical side....but if you are talking SDA's, common grounding and what not... if both amps happened to be turned on at the same time...

Just scares me a little. Buy more gear already, setup another rig so I can sleep at night.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I guess using plugs on the speaker wires is the easiest way for me. I switch between amps and pre amps often and after a while it really starts to piss me off. Since I don't want to add any other component in the signal path, I have to do it the hard way:).

Maurice
  • madmax
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Good point Russman. My assumption was that only one amp was on at a time and you are correct that maybe there could be a problem if both were turned on, maybe. Another problem (unrelated to grounds) is that you don't want a tube amp powered up with no load.
    madmax

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2003
    Options
    About the only thin I can come up with is to make your connections as accessible as possible. When in comparing mode, I usually move my rack to where it's perpendicular to the back wall. This way I don't have to lean over or reach around anything.

A surge protector (with switch) makes for easy power up/down.

When comparing speakers, I like to compare them first on only one channel (one model on left and one on right). Forget soundstage and imaging for a moment. Listen for realistic tonality. A well painted picure with the wrong colors is still ugly, no matter how smooth the brush strokes.

A preamp with dual outs is nice, but unless you're comparing apples to apples there will be a bias toward one or the other. If you're handy with a soldering iron and SPL meter, you might be able to get some decent stereo pots and skip the pre alltogether.

Good luck!

Sorry if I stepped it down a notch, but I think some newer people may benefit from this info also.
    Make it Funky! :)