SVS: was it tuned by the factory

Options
fgr41
fgr41 Posts: 432
edited December 2003 in Speakers
Greetings all,

Just got my 25-31PCi and am very happy with it, although with a new baby I have not been able to really let it open up. I ordered the 25-31 with the 22Hz tuning port mod, figured it would kind of be 1/2 way between a 20-39 and 25-31 in performance. When I got the sub out of the box there were no markings on the sub stating the 22Hz mod was done. I looked at the invoice and there was no mention of it their either.

I'm not complaining because I really like the way it seems to have livened up EVERYTHING but I want to know I got what I asked for.

Has anyone else had this or other mods done by the factory and how did you know it was done?
Front
Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
Rear
Polk RT600i
Center
Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
Sub
SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
Receiver
YAMAHA RX-V1400
TV
Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
HD receiver
T i V o HR10-250
Post edited by fgr41 on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Give Tom V or Ron S and Email and they will let you if the mod was done. Either way, enjoy the sub and the new baby, that picture is very cute.
    Graham
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I'm sure if you asked them when you ordered it they did it. You could call and ask they will surely be able to let you know, given that it isn't anywhere on the invoice there is no reason not to call and ask.

Dave
  • fgr41
    edited December 2003
    Options
    One way to be sure...really sure...it to pop the grille top off and remove
    the 4 screws that hold the port in. 25hz tuning will use a port about 12"
    long...22hz tuning is about 15" long.

Sorry for the confusion to date on this, we haven't missed a 22hz tuning
    request that I can remember..but there is always a first time. If you have
    any other questions about our products, please let me know.

Tom V.
    SVS

I checked and it's a 15" port. Once again a shining example of SVS customer service.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by fgr41
    I checked and it's a 15" port. Once again a shining example of SVS customer service.

Of course. :cool: Glad you are loving it. Please post more impressions if/when you get the chance. Especially for music as the SVS' HT capabilities are well documented.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,137
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Doc and Others,
    I know the PCi-25(w/e) plays the loudest, but how much DB do you lose in the 20-39 one against the 25 one?

Also...

How much extra does it cost for the 22hz tune, and...how much db do you lose off of that?

Thanks...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Sid,

There is a performance chart on the website of the three PCi subs. I would post it but dont know how.
    Graham
  • fgr41
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    How much extra does it cost for the 22hz tune, and...how much db do you lose off of that?

I went with the 22hz tune because they do it for free. I was undecided between the 20-39 and the 25-31 so I decided to split the difference. Buy the 25 and put the 22hz port tune in it for free. This way I got a little more extension than the 25 but a few more db than the 20 for the price of the 25.

In the long run, from what I understand the difference between the 25, 20, or even the 22 will be slight. Corner loading the 22 may even give me reach down to 20 or lower depending on tuning and room setup.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • fgr41
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Here is the performance chart
    * 16-46PCi is in purple, 20-39PCi is in red, and the 25-31PCi is in light blue.
    * Output measured with calibrated test mike, ground plane, at 2 meters (quasi-anechoic).
    * This frequency sweep ran from 10Hz to 80Hz, (response is actually very flat to roughly 100Hz).

sub_cs_performance.jpg
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Sid:

The difference in max output capability above the tune point will be about 1.5 dB for each change in enclosure size.

It will be even less than that for the difference between the "22-31" and the 20-39 or 25-31.

Also, remember this chart is for ground plane, and shows no room gain. In-room response will not roll-off so quickly.

The "22-31" and the "17-39" deeper tune options are free at the time of order.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,137
    edited December 2003
    Options
    OK, I have decided on the 22hz tune instead of the 20hz model. Its cheaper to get that, with being under 600 shipped. Anyways, I will order this sub shortly after christmas probally.

How do you request the 22hz tune?

Thank you for all your responses.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • fgr41
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Email sales-svs@svsubwoofers.com when you place your order and let them know you want the 22Hz port tune. They will get back to you in no time.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV