Just when I thought it was over...(Back to RT series)

organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited December 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm sure some of you remember my post from about a month ago about my confusion with the LSi9 and RT800i being driven by a tube amp. At the end of that thread I went back to the LSi9 even though the 800i had more "tube magic" in its presentation. I went back to the LSi9 because I switched the connection to the 8-ohms output taps from the output transformers. This increase in power made the LSi sound better. I immediately went back to the LSi after that and never gave the 800i a listen until a few days ago. So before that I was listening to the 800i hooked up to the 4-Ohms output from the amp.

So a few days ago I decided to try the 800i again and BANG! The sound was amazing. Music feels like a magic carpet ride now. It's quite difficult to describe the sound. The best one I've heard is from Madmax where he mentioned that with higher efficiency speakers and tubes, the sound just "blooms". Even though the LSi9 was more accurate, the 800i's are now more pleasing to listen to and it brings out emotions in recrdings a lot better than the LSi9. The amount of detail produced by the tri-lams is greater than the ring radiator. With pure vocals, I can hear the singer's tongue splashing around in their mouth. With the LSi I just got as far as hearing lips smacking. Another big improvement here is dynamics. The 800i is hitting harder than the 9's and sounds faster where the LSi sounds a little bit more mellow. The amount of air is something else. It feels like the room is alive. It sounds so real.

So all you RT owners out there planning to get into the LSi series for 2ch listening, give your speakers a try with a tube amp and pre amp first. You'll be surprised by how good those RT's can sound.

Before the bashing begins, reemember that this comparison was done with a 35w/ch tube amp. With a high power tube amp, the LSi would probably sound better.

I will keep listening to the RT800i until I get my Klipsch in two days.

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited December 2003
    You crazy tube guys :D I am so jealous.
    Graham
  • organ
    edited December 2003
    Oh yeah? You're a crazy transistor guy:D.

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2003
    Organ,

if I read you right, you're saying the 800's using the 70's 8-ohm out has produced the additional magic... yes?

Asking because I have read the opposite as well. Some 70 owners have reported "bloom" occurs wiring to the 4-ohm out even when using 8-ohm speakers...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • organ
    edited December 2003
    Tour,
    Yeah. To my ears it sounds better using the 8-ohm taps. You also get higher power transfer with that connection.

I get a smoother and warmer sound with the 8-ohms tap. Dynamics is the other improvement. The 800i sounded spitty with the 4-ohms output.

I think it also depends on the tubes you're using. I've been listening to the 800i with Svetlana. I tried the EH fat bottles last night and couldn't listen for more than 15 mins. No bloom at all compared to the Svets.

Which output tap works best with your gear?

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2003
    Short run I had on my 70 was on the 8-ohm to my Maggies. Layed all my tubes up a while after that, pending development of a 2ch room.

Lay up led to need for Variac, which I finally got and I added a TV7-D/U for testing jollies.

Now I just need my left arm back...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited December 2003
    I have a pair of RT-7's with a velodyne12/15 sub. that literally gives goose bumps--Way,way way much better that most expensive speakers--Do they even come close to my Martin Logan Prodigy's ??----Hard to believe,but...
    "YES" they do........ Very close.in thier own way..
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".