amps

Options
Buster
Buster Posts: 11
edited December 2003 in Electronics
what is a good 2/4 channel amp. its for the mains and two small surrounds. or i could get a 5 channel and hook up my sub. the amps is just for rock music and movies. things like that. iam not looking for anything that is a lot of money. this will be my first amp and i want to get a godd one but not send a lot of money. something with 300 watts or something like that.

so can u tell me what r some good kinds of amps or ones u would recomend.

thanks
later
Buster
Post edited by Buster on

Comments

• RVJII
    RVJII Posts: 167
    edited December 2003
    Options
    First off, a multichannel amp of 2, 5, or 7 channels and 300/per is not going to be inexpensive at all. Although, you may be able to find a used 2 channel on ebay for under $1K.

For instance: Adcom GFA-5500 : 200 watts x 2 (don't forget you'll need a pre amp as well.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3062904522&category=39783

What kind of speakers are you going to be driving...impedance, etc? Is there a reason that you feel the need for so much power?

You need to be a bit more specific on what you are trying to do. Also, a bit more realistic on what an amp like that would cost. How much are you looking to spend?

Unless you've got some really power hungry speakers you probably don't need (and may not even be able to use) that kind of power. If this is your first amp you might want to look at a middle of the line Denon or Onkyo receiver. (If you want to go with seperates it is going to cost a bit more.)

Give us more information on what you've got and I'm sure that people here can make some recomendations that would be reasonable.
    A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...
  • Buster
    edited December 2003
    Options
    after thinking about that i think iam goin to wait on getting an amp. and i think i might get an center speaker. i was thinking about the CSi3 or the CSi30. any suggestions.
  • Buster
    edited December 2003
    Options
    forgot this

i only have a 500 watt pioneer reciever and some 200 watt old sony speakers, and a 120 watt sony sub woffer, two small KLM speakers. and i want to add a center speaker to it. so i just have a basic system. iam only a teen not like u guys that r like 20-30 that have big systems. iam just a starter. so iam adding on to my system. so i want thinking on an amp.

so u really need a pre amp for the amp. i was reading up on it and now they r building them inside recievers.

i was just looking at a small wattage amp for my mains, or my sub.

so if u have any suggetions on the amps or the center speaker i will be happy to take them.

the center speaker i was looking at again is the CSi3 and the CSi30.

also why on the onkyo website they don't say what there prices are. i was looking at there amp and i was a 2 channel 100 w/channel, but it didn't say the price.

now if i didn't say enough tell me and i post another reply to tell u me. but just tell me what to tell u.

later
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I think you will hear a greater improvement by spending that cash on main speakers.

You need a pre amp to drive an amp if your receiver doesn't have pre outs. When you connect an amp to the pre out, you use the receiver as a pre amp.

Some companies don't list prices on their website. Best thing to do is to call a nearby dealer and ask for the price. They usually don't give deals over the phone but will tell you the retail price.

Maurice