LSi speakers and PSW505

Options
J9_ls1
J9_ls1 Posts: 20
edited December 2003 in Speakers
I need a sub within the next few weeks, so the LSiW is not an option really. I think I am going with dual PSW505s. From what I can tell spec wise, they will match fine. Does anyone see anything that I may have missed? Any suggestions/comments would be great.

My current setup is LSi15s up front
LSiC center
2 pair LSifx for rear

Thanks
Post edited by J9_ls1 on

Comments

• MAP1911
    MAP1911 Posts: 34
    edited December 2003
    Options
    What is an Lsiw?

Thanks

Mike
  • J9_ls1
    edited December 2003
    Options
    The new polk sub designed for the lsi series. It is what the psw-808 used to be
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2003
    Options
    If I were you I'd wait for the LSiW. Why are you in such a hurry to get a sub? If you really need one quick and it must be Polk, get a PSW650. It's a great subwoofer.

Maurice
  • J9_ls1
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I want something slot loaded, I have a store credit that I have 2 weeks to use, I am sure the lsiw will not be out until at least spring.
  • stevecramer2
    stevecramer2 Posts: 34
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I would go with the PSW505. Wonderful sub, you can't go wrong. It's also video friendly (shielding) where the PSW650 is not.

The 505 has a BASH amp rated at 300w RMS while the 650 is not a BASH amp and rated at 165w RMS.

I love my 505, it can shake the house down or be as delicate and precise as one would want.

But really, both are stylish, powerful and accurate as any sub you want.

Either one should rock your world and the 650 is beautiful to look at too. I sure wouldn't turn it down.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited December 2003
    Options
    How much store credit are we talking? Enough to buy both subs, or considerably less?

There are better choices out there than dual 505's for the price you are going to pay, and you might be able to get something else with the store credit. I assume this is CC? What will be the total price for both subs with tax?

With that said, the 505 looks like a solid performer. Only instrumented testing (FR & THD at various volumes/frequencies) could tell for sure, though.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • J9_ls1
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I can get both for around 500 bux. I basically need a sub, I guess my question is: will they match up to my lsi's well.

Thanks again
  • Dr. Spec
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Well, you didn't say how much store credit that includes. What I'm asking is how much are you going to pay for both subs with tax BEFORE your credit is applied.

Will they match well with the LSi? Don't know, never heard one, but there is really no such thing is timbre matching a subwoofer.

What are your needs and listening tastes like? Is this for HT or primarily music? If its for music, do you need the extension for organ music?

SVS
  • J9_ls1
    edited December 2003
    Options
    The price before tax is around 800 bucks for two, I only have to pay 500 bucks if I want both of them. Basically I have a 300 store credit. I primarily use it for HT.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I would look at the SVS PB2-ISD for $950 delivered to your door, and use the store credit for something else.

If you do go with dual 505's I'm sure it will be pretty amazing in the >30 Hz region, probably better than even a Velo CHT-15.

The SVS will play considerably lower than the dual 505's, an important consideration for HT. The -3dB point in room for the stock tune will be about 22 Hz. It can be tuned even deeper by varying the tune point with the port plugs and SS/EQ switch.

Just my $0.02, take or leave. Good luck in your quest for great bass.

SVS