value of RT55's

Options
caseymou
caseymou Posts: 327
edited December 2003 in Speakers
I am in process of getting a set of RTi100's so my RT55's must go. Can anyone help me out with a fair value? Maybe use the audio blue book? They are in excellent condition and I have the original box.
Post edited by caseymou on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2003
    Options
    casey, casey, casey.......I'm gonna guess that you weren't intentionally inviting a verbal lashing.....;)

I've sat here and tried to think of a reason that one would want to go from the most highly regarded bookshelf speaker to one of the entry/mid level towers, and I can think of NO reason to do so.

That wouldn't be a step up in any way/shape/form. You could probably get between $300and $350for the 55's, but I'm more curious as to why you're choosing the route that you've mentioned above.......I think that you'd end up missing a LOT of the sound that teh 100's won't produce that the 55's do.

Splain yosef g.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited December 2003
    Options
    300-350 is probably a little over what he should expect, considering they are 55's, I think your pricing is probably more accurate for 55i's. However the 55's are a coveted speaker and are discontinued, so if you find someone who has been looking for them you can probably get a decent price, maybe 300-350 indeed?
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I wouldn't get rid of those RT55's. Those are some very nice speakers. I'm not a big fan of floorstanding w/ powered subwoofers. Seems useless as long as you get a good subwoofer. Have you thought about just investing in a sub? Might be a better option.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • caseymou
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I am picking these up for $189 NIB via circuit city clearance sale. I will probably wait to sell the 55's until I can unbox and hook up the 100's. I have a buddy that would probably take them if I don't want them. I really like the idea of towers. If I keep the 55's I really need to upgrade to a set of metal (sand filled) stands I saw referred to on another post. I won't lose either way. BTW I have Ron P.'s old CT-12 Velo sub already.
  • agw
    agw Posts: 22
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Powered towers are not the way to go. Thet are very difficult to get set up the right way. There have been many postings about that here. If you notice, the new lineup doesn't include powered towers anymore. If you want towers, the 800, 70 or 8's would be the way to go. They are essentially 55's in tower form. Of all of them, the 8's scream with that new tweeter. Very detailed and smooooooth!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2003
    Options
    keep the 55's if you can... or hope you get a good price and a good home for them.

i have to agree.. i used to think the same way.. powered towers with a sub was the way to go.. i quickly learned when i was running RT1000i's that it wasn't. So i sold them and moved to RT800i's. and it sounded so much better. the 800i's/70's are much better at mids then the towers with built in subs.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2003
    Options
    i have the rt55's. while you got the rt100i at a great price (i probably couldnt pass it up either). I would hold onto the rt55. I dont use mine in any set up at the moment. thy are taking up space in my attic, but at least these fine speaks are in my attic :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • caseymou
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Well, after the advice given I might have to keep the 55's and send on the 100's.
  • jeff reimer
    jeff reimer Posts: 16
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Do what you want. Dont let anyone influence your decision. I have the RTI100's and actually like them. But I'm not a TOTAL stereo geek that spends every dime and time on it.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited December 2003
    Options
    yeah, don't base your whole decision on anyone else's opinion, get the 100's set up and then spend some quality time A-Bing between the two speakers and see which one you like. I don't think people here are telling you what do to do, I think they just want to make sure that you are going with the 100's because you like them better, not because you got sold on the fact that they are bigger and have a powered woofer. I have a pair of infinity's which have 12" 500 watt powered woofers in each tower, and they retail for 3 times as much as the 55i's I have, and I ended up paying twice as much for them as I did for the 55i's, but I like the 55i's better.

This is of course music only, home theater is a different story, and that's why I have two systems..

oh, and I AM a total stereo geek, thanks very much.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by jeff reimer
    But I'm not a TOTAL stereo geek that spends every dime and time on it.

Then why are you here?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2003
    Options
    hey lets hear it for the geeks! :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Sydney's Dad
    Sydney's Dad Posts: 98
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I have a set of Rti100's that I'm very happy with but would prefer a smaller speaker for the room.

If you would like to trade your RTi55 for my RTi100 maybe we could works something out. I'm faily close to Indy.
    Sony 53" TV
    Sony DA777ES Receiver
    Sony SCD-C55ES CD/SACD
    Sony DVP-NS755V DVD
    Sony 4-TA-N55ES Amplifers
    Front 2 pair Polk RTi150
    Center Polk CSi40
    Rear Polk RTi70
    Sub SVS PC+ & Infinity BL-2