Dirty Dozen

Options
bgaskins
bgaskins Posts: 65
edited December 2003 in Music & Movies
Okay, I just watched this movie the other night for the first time. It was on DVD, and unfortunately I couldn't get it to work in my DVD player so I watched it on the playstation. I am 23 and had never seen it. Man was this movie amazing. I think they should do a remake of it. Like they did for Ocean's Eleven. The sound was crappy, because it was so old, but worth the viewing. I recomend it to all.
Post edited by bgaskins on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,874
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Congrats! You've just watched a true classic and IMHO a remake would be a bad idea, you can't find another Lee Marvin.

I've got it on VHS and the sound is fine.......must be that new technology. ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2003
    Options
    "What's your name soldier?"

"Number 11!"

Saw that one a lifetime ago in the THEEayter when it was originally released.

I'm with F1. You can't re-make stuff that good.

Lee Marvin (Major Reisman), John Cassavetes (Franco, or "Number 11"), Telly Savalas (Maggot), Charles Bronson (Waterslaw), Donald Sutherland (Pinckley), Robert Ryan (the scumbag colonel), Ernest Borgnine (the friendly general), Clint Walker (Posey), Trini lopez (Jiminez), Richard Jaeckel (Lee Marvin's enlisted assistant), Jim Brown, and I wish I could think of the rest.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2003
    Options
    i'm with you all. i was just a mere youngster when this movie was playin at the theater. a true classic
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Oh hell yeah! I'm with you all!

The part where Donald Sutherland has to pose as a General and do an inspection is total classic!

This is one of those movies that you have to watch when it's on TV no matter how many times you've seen it.

John
    No excuses!
  • bgaskins
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Yeah that movie was great. Another one that you have to watch when it comes on is escape from alcatraz.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2003
    Options
    "... and where's Donald Duck?"

Hated that movie... It hastened Jim Brown's retirement from the Browns. :(
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by bgaskins
    Okay, I just watched this movie the other night for the first time. It was on DVD, and unfortunately I couldn't get it to work in my DVD player so I watched it on the playstation. I am 23 and had never seen it. Man was this movie amazing. I think they should do a remake of it. Like they did for Ocean's Eleven. The sound was crappy, because it was so old, but worth the viewing. I recomend it to all.
    if you think the movie is so good why do you want it remade???
    dont get me wrong ,Im in agreement that the movie is a classic . All the more reason not to remake it.
  • bgaskins
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I am a strong believer in the fact that most remakes suck so much. The fact of the matter is though, the movie is good. But the youth of today, even people my age, miss out on a lot because they are closed minded. In my opinion, it would be a great way for more people to see a film. I have no problem watching an old movie. I just figured a remake would be a good way to get a new audience. Unfortunately, it would probably be bad. That is how those things usually work.

I do see where you are coming from though. Why fix it if it isn't broken.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2003
    Options
    How could you possibly do a remake of this movie in today's "politically correct" environment. What you have in this movie are convicts knowingly slaughtering civilians who just happened to be at a party with some German generals with the full knowledge and consent of the U. S. Military (dousing them with gasoline in a bunker and tossing in grenades). How would you get that by the PC police. Remember, today a decorated U.S. Officer is being court martialed for interogating a prisoner in Iraq "too harshly" ( Lt. Col. Allen West).

IF this movie was re-made today I'm sure it would have so many political overtones that any of the stuff that made this a good movie would be lost.

In fact there was a made for TV sequal The Dirty Dozen - The Next Mission that actually had Marvin, Borgnine and Jaeckel...and it SUCKED. Followed by The Dirty Dozen - The Deadly Mission and The Dirty Dozen - The Fatal Mission which were even worse (all TV movies). And then there was The Dirty Dozen: The Series.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson