KeithV
KeithV Posts: 107
edited December 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Marantz 1060 Preamp
Marantz 6150 turntable
Marantz 2230 as a FM tuner
Marantz 510R amp (350 rated WPC@4ohms)
Polk LSi15s

As for a cd player.. I'd love to get one of those Shanglin tube cd-players.. But I think a modest Rotel would get the job done.

Cables? I dont think I'm ready to even deal with that :D
Post edited by KeithV on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2003
    nice goals..

why all the vintage gear? just curious.. i assume this is for a kick **** 2 channel only system huh?

;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2003
    Although I personally would never stick to one brand for a whole system (because each company excells in a different area) it seems strange that you do not want a Marantz CD player given the rest of the equipment.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • KeithV
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by madmax
    Although I personally would never stick to one brand for a whole system (because each company excells in a different area) it seems strange that you do not want a Marantz CD player given the rest of the equipment.
    madmax

I'm not terribly impressed with newer Marantz equipment.

The reasoning beind the vintage pre and amp is that I can get quality and power for a price that I can afford, also I'm one of those people that buys into the whole "old solid state with massive circuits is better than tiny ICs with different stuff running near each other" thing.

I am currently running my RTi70s with a Marantz 250M and a 2230 as a pre. It sounds awesome, I just want to take that next step up in 2 channel audio.

I'm not all about sticking with one brand.. I want the best cd player for the money, something that matches the warmth that my vintage equipment has a tendency for.
  • Phil Dawson
    Phil Dawson Posts: 288
    edited December 2003
    Over in the Flea Market someone has a Sony CDP XA3ES for $300. This is a wonderful player. I've had one for about ten years and so has a friend of mine. I have used mine through my 1.2s bi-amped and it sounds great.
    Good Luck, Phil
  • danger boy
    edited December 2003
    keith,

there is a lot to be said for good vintage equipment.. such as the older Marantz stuff.. i have to agree with you there.. the Marantz of the past 10 years is nothing like they used to be. Sounds like you're on the right track for a kick **** sounding system. nice benefit of vintage gear. it's usually less expensive than newer stuff.

WTG!
  • KeithV
    edited December 2003
    Some updates..

After spending some time at a local place that has some high quality stuff (yet on the outside appears to only be a vinyl store), I've decided on this cd player most likely.

Also, I'm thinking about going with two 250s and bi-amping rather than one 510. In addition, I am considering LSi9s instead of the 15s.. It really depends on my budget and everything.
  • KeithV
    edited December 2003
    I just noticed that my current Onkyo 701 does 170wpc@4ohmms.. damn! so I have a reciever capable of powering the 9s, maybe the 15s. But I don't know if I'll want the sound of the Onkyo, or if the 9s will have enough bass for me.

argh!!
  • danger boy
    edited December 2003
    hey i can't get your CD player link to work.. can you tell us which one it is?

thanks, Al
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by madmax
    Although I personally would never stick to one brand for a whole system (because each company excells in a different area) ...
    I could not agree more...

The Pre and amp are worthy targets from the golden age of Marantz, and the tuner makes a nice round out, but the TT? There are many vintage choices out there that would out perform it by a good margin...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • danger boy
    edited December 2003
    yeah maybe a nice B&O (Bang and Olufsen) with it's high tech brushed metal to match your receiver. just a thought.

:D
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2003
    You might want to keep an eye out for Marantz "Esotec" separates. This was a no-holds barred line that was produced right before they went downhill.

I found the SC-8 preamp, and SM-8 power amp, in the original boxes, a little over a year ago. November 21, 02 to be precise. They were absotively mint, and I promptly sold them for approximately 70 times what I paid for them. Hint....
    they cost me $5 each. Now THAT was a good day.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)

Had I desired to go international on e-bay the sky would've been the limit. Asian buyers go ape-**** over that stuff. I'm almost positive the guy I sold them to did exactly that.
  • KeithV
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by danger boy
    hey i can't get your CD player link to work.. can you tell us which one it is?

thanks, Al

The music hall cd-25.
  • danger boy
    edited December 2003
    yeah.. nice. i've read good things about the music hall CD players.. as well as their phono pre amps. as well as their turntables.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2003
    Sounds cool. Vintage gear usually have a warmer sound which I really like.

"But I don't know if I'll want the sound of the Onkyo, or if the 9s will have enough bass for me."

Oh man, I think you will crap your pants when you hear how hard and deep those little drivers can hit:D . I'm sure some people may think a sub is hidden somewhere in the room when they hear the LSi9 play for the first time.

Not too sure about the Onkyo though. Does it have pre outs for an external amp?

Maurice
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2003
    I like the idea Keith, that sounds fantastic :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.