Right speakers for surround sound?

Options
vdub
vdub Posts: 2
edited December 2003 in Speakers
Hello All,

This is my first post and I'm excited for feedback.

I'd like to establish a surround sound system. Currently, I have some vintage Polk RT-10 floor standing speaker and an Onkyo Dolby Surround/Pro-logic reciever. I plan to upgrade the reciever to a Dolby Digital Surround/Pro Logic II/ THX within a couple years.

For now, what do you think of the RT-10 speakers?...Should I ditch them or can I use them as part of the system?

Should I keep them as front speakers or use them in the rear? If I use them for the front, which rear, center, and sub would be a good match for the RT-10?

Please keep in mind that I'd like to upgrade to the digital surround with a couple years and would like to keep the speakers.

Thansk for the advice and sorry about the long post.

Brian
Post edited by vdub on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I think the first question is do you like the RT10's? If you do, no need to replace them.

Refresh my memory as to which tweeter it has, and then I can make some suggestions to match for center and rears.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • vdub
    vdub Posts: 2
    edited December 2003
    Options
    They have one 1" Dynamic Balance tweeter. Here is the link to the RT-10 on Polk's website http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=3&speaker=153&vintage=1

I like the speakers, they fit my needs nicely. I don't really have any complaints.

I was thinking of getting the RTI-6 or RTI-4 for the rear and the CSI3 or CSI 30 for the center. Any thoughts on these? What is the major difference between those two centers? And for a sub I have no idea.

Or Circuit City (by my house) has an open box pair of R50 on sale for like $160 each, that looked promising. Any thoughts?

Brian
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I own the csi30 and its alright. got it for $200 cdn at brighouse tv.
  • mmathis
    mmathis Posts: 7
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Make sure that the year models are matched. I have switched between the year models many times, and the 2004 (RTi 4 6 8 10 12, CSi 3 5, FXi 3 5) is much brighter than the 2003 models. If anyone could tell me why this is, I would love to know. The midranges and tweeters are the same in the RTi 4's 10's 12's and the CSi 3's. It also depends on whether you wanted to go 5.1 6.1 or 7.1 on which speakers I would recommend.