Speaker Cable – A Test

Options
tapeshc
tapeshc Posts: 135
edited December 2003 in Speakers
System

Source – Pioneer – DVD 563S
Jolida 1000A or ASL AQ2004 + Rotel RB-1090.
Lsi15
Interconnects – Audioquest Sidewinder.
Power Cable – Monster Cable IEC 300

Reference Cable used –
Audioquest Type 4 (2X20 AWG Solid, 2 17AWG Solid)
Long Grain Copper
Marked for signal direction.

Cables that I used were bought at Home Depot.

14G Solid Core @.12c/ft. (Used for electrical needs) for Bass/Mid
2-18G Solid Core @ .10C/ft (Used for thermostat and security alarm system) For Highs
I twisted them together.

Although here the gauges are not same of but that was best AQ wire I could afford for this experiment. Although before I settle down with this wire I would like to compare it with Cardas Cross, as that’s what I wanted initially.

Results- AQ wire couldn’t carry all the bass for sure, and had overall loss in mid and highs too. May be AWG, played its roll here.

HD wire exceptional performance in Bass and bit more open better feeling in mid and highs.

Monster XP – not even comparable. I used it for last 5 years.

While visiting many manufacturers sites and some independent sites, one thing was common that twisting and braiding was always recommended to take care interference. Although not being too technical I couldn’t understand much about it.

Although I do feel that these manufacturers are not fooling us, there a lot one can do with geometry of cable and shielding and of course the wire it self. So if they say they are doing it I believe it and that may be making a diff. Point is how much diff and is it practicable/audible and that gain justifies that extra 00’s $.

Bottom line its worth a try before spending $250+ for a full range cable. It will cost you $5-$10 and some time and hassle.

Please understand that this is entirely my opinion based on what my 36yr old humble ears could hear :D It’s a opinion not a verdict. Neither I am suggesting that one or the other manufacturer is better or worst. While these manufacturers know what they are doing based on their research and huge knowledgebase, I am nobody to comment on their work or product. :o

Please advice or suggest if you think I missed something.

Although rusting is what I am concerned about that will induce connection resistance.

Helpful links, that I used.
http://www.tnt-audio.com/int.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~rogerr7/wire.htm
Thanks

Tapesh
Post edited by tapeshc on

Comments

• tapeshc
    edited December 2003
    Options
    No comments, suggestions :eek:

Is the topic is so unintresting or my test is so stupid to even comment.
    Thanks

Tapesh
  • P.HUNT
    P.HUNT Posts: 211
    edited December 2003
    Options
    WAS THE MONSTER BETTER OR WORSE THAN THE TWO
    PROCESSOR-- Sherbourn PT-7010A
    AMP
    Sherbourn 7/2100A
    DVD
    DENON 3910
    BLU RAY
    PS-3
    PROJECTOR --- Panasonic ae-900u
    SPEAKERS
    Klipsch Ultra2 System
    92" Screen
    PS Audio power cords
    Buttkickers
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I quess that I need a bit of clarification.

You listed the wire as "Solid Core". Can I assume you were using solid wire instead of stranded?

Not sure about the reference to Monster cable either. Are you saying that it sounded better than the AQ and HD wire?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Nice comments, but if it aint a dbt, it really dont mean sheat.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • tapeshc
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Yes the wire was solid wire not stranded.

Monster XP was lacking in bass most and mids and highs were not as resolved as in case of hand made wires.
    Thanks

Tapesh
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2003
    Options
    While I appreciate the comparison and the effort you put into it, I think that comparing similar wire configurations would be a bit more revealing. Brand X (14 ga stranded copper) vs Brand Y (14 GA stranded copper) vs Brand Z (14 GA stranded copper)

Still, your results are interesting.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • tapeshc
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Frank,

Point is valid but actualy my cocentration was more on cost.

Why Monster XP : Because thats the first wire every body tries when he gets in HT / ST, at least thats the one suggested by every audio store or BB OR CC, so thats why I chose that one.

AQ Type 4+ : Thats where their premium or serious wires start. They talk about geomatry and copper and sheilding. So I thought this can be another one to compare with.

Point is while above mentioned cables are starting points for beginners(XP) or serious listners(AQ Type 4+), they are way too expensive and underperform when compared to a ordinary wire.

As I mentioned it was an excersie to save money while not sacrificing music quality.

If I have to have same gauge as the ordinary wire I would be spending much more money for comparing them. It will be like $3.00 V/S $300.00, in that case even if it out performs hand made wire, I wont spend those extra $297.00, if its not significant. Thats me :D, just an opinion.
    Thanks

Tapesh
  • dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I believe the mind can play 'tricks' on you. One cable might sound better or worse than the other if you know which cables you are comparing.

Blind test's are the way to go. I'll try it with some Vodka's I'm taste testing. Is Kettle One better than Stoli? I'll keep you posted.

Dan
  • tapeshc
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Tests were blind.

When I listened my wife was swapping wires.

When my wife listened, I was swapping wires.

We just refered to them as #1 #2 #3.

Hope that helps
    Thanks

Tapesh
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Blind is *ok*, double blind is better.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dan t
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Tests were blind.

Ok. That helps. Thanks for posting your opinions from this experiment.

Dan
  • dan t
    edited December 2003
    Options
    double blind is better.

I'll make sure to have both eyes closed when I'm sampling the Vodka. ;)

Dan
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I vote for Kettle 1....hijack over.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.