Yammie preamp question

phoneisbusy
phoneisbusy Posts: 867
edited December 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Just had a quick question to the forum. I've noticed a bit of static when I adjust the volume on the preamp. Is this normal or do I need to clean the pot in the preamp? Is it terribly difficult?

Thanks

Dave
Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
Post edited by phoneisbusy on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited December 2003
    Canned air will usually clean it out pretty good. Just be careful cleaning it 'cause they can get fairly hot if the unit has been on for a while. If the canned air doesn't work, usually some electrical contact cleaner will do the trick too. You can get both at most office supply stores or Radio Shack.

Also, if you have an anti-static bruch like you would use for vinyl LP's, they are good for cleaning electrical contacts too. It may be worth it just to pick up a brush for stuff like that.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2003
    If the problem still persists, replacing the pot should be easy. Just make sure you replace it with a of the same value.

Maurice
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2003
    Many times this problem will show up when the air is really dry and then go away once the humidity is back up to normal.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by phoneisbusy
    Just had a quick question to the forum. I've noticed a bit of static when I adjust the volume on the preamp. Is this normal or do I need to clean the pot in the preamp? Is it terribly difficult?

Thanks

Dave

Dave,

What model is your preamp? Some of the older Yamaha preamps used pots that were in a sealed plastic case that you couldn't clean.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    edited December 2003
    I've cleaned/repaired my share of vintage audio over the years and the best I've found for the job has been Deoxite (Part Number 341-200) for really dirty pots and tuners gangs. I follow it up with some ProGold (Part Number 341-225) . If it's not real dirty then just the ProGold. You can get this stuff from Parts Express.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by madmax
    Many times this problem will show up when the air is really dry and then go away once the humidity is back up to normal.
    madmax

It's a very common complaint in the winter time because heaters tend to dry out the air. When the air dries out, you get more airborne particles because there is not moisture or humidity holding them down anymore. They get stuck to things with an electric charge...like potentiometers.

Once you get the problem fixed, regular dusting of equipment will help keep this problem to a minimum. Fix it soon too because excessive dust and grime build-up will eventually kill a potentiometer.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited December 2003
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    The Preamp is the yamaha C-40.

Looks like I'll be opening it up and taking a peek inside.
    Maybe pick up some cleaning supplies.

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited December 2003
    Phone,

I have a Yamaha C-80 pre that developed a scratchy volume/balance pot after a few years. I had to replace the pot since it was in a sealed plastic casing. It wasnt dirty, it was just worn out.

I am not familiar with the internal parts of the C-40. You can call Yamaha parts in Buena Park, CA (714) 522-9888 and ask to speak to technician Jim Bennet. Jim has been around for over 25 years and is very familiar with the older Yamaha gear.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!