The Fast And The Furious

SPEAKER7
SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
edited February 2002 in Music & Movies
I have just picked up a copy after work today.....however, my co-worker tell's me I should rent it before buying it! just wondering if the movie was that bad?

dc.:confused:
Post edited by SPEAKER7 on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    i loved it! bought it today at lunch! can't wait to go home and watch it. i'm into auto-crossing though, so that may have something to do with it. if you are into cars, and/or enjoy driving fast, i think you'll enjoy this movie!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2002
    ...I'm all for a good car race/action movie with zero plot and spare actors....

But isn't this just a glorification of the Folgers can exhaust systems, and 'stickers=horsepower' theory?

I wonder if I put a yellow racing stripe and some 'Type R' stickers on my speakers, will they sound better? Will the bass be 'faster'?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited January 2002
    thanks guys! for the pre view!

dc.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2002
    This movie was awesome --better than I though. The sound quality on DTS was nothing short of amazing. The only other dvd that I have heard bass drops like this movie was PM. Fast paced and very entertaining.----:cool:
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited January 2002
    Can't wait to get it, just seeing that "Charger" pulling the front end up was all the preview I needed. I can let a plot go when ya have burn't rubber.
    Chris :)
  • juice21
    edited January 2002
    the dvd lives up to the movie. great soundtrack. good bass, i was surprised how well the bass was managed in the soundtrack.

i didn't however, appreciate the castrol syntex "drive safe" commercial in the beginning.... i guess it's just getting us closer to being in the theater now with effin' commercials before the movies there too....
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited January 2002
    There is a "drive safe" commercial in the beginning? That sucks, although when I saw it in the theater, everyone was peeling wheels when in the parking lot after the movie.

Cool cars, bad acting. Yeah, I'm getting it :)

~JB
  • juice21
    edited January 2002
    yep! "hi, i'm paul walker... blah blah blah...trained proffesionals in controlled environments.... blah blah blah.... drive safe..."

brough to you bye castrol/sytax.

EAT MY ****!!!! putting commercials on my DVD!!!
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited January 2002
    Isn't the red car one of our Polk Audio cars? Justin, post a pic of it or something, give us some cache, man!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited January 2002
    I am just wondering how they can justify a FatF2...
    When will people realize you can just watch the Daytona 500 for free and get the same story...and faster speeds...
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited January 2002
    i hate the stupid previews on my dvd's too.
    what sucks is they probably had to put that drive safe commercial on the movie so no one could go out and drive stupid then sue the movie co., director, actors and so on.
    unfortunetly we live in a country of sue happy morons !!!!!

like some of the classic cases:
    lets sue Mc Donalds because i am a clutz and spilled my coffee in my lap while i was driving.
    i got drunk at a bar drove off in my car killed some innocent victim, but it's not my fault the bartender should not have been serving me alcohol.
    i am sueing some rock star for making my kid commit suicide, kill some body, go postal in a school.. it cant be me the parents fault it is the music.

i think kid rock sez it best on his new album
    "if you take me out would your kid still do drugs ?"
    sorry about the rant that doesnt even have any thing to do with the actual movie. :rolleyes:
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • juice21
    edited January 2002
    the sheer fact that there are even 12 people who can sit on a jury and think these people are justified. i mean, who in the hell is going to decide in favor of an idiot who spills coffee on themselves, i mean c'mon, i don't know which is worse, the first idiot, or the 12 idiots that think the first idiot is right....

i mean it's one thing for the small man vs. the big corporation, but the world is getting a little ridiculous....

again, sorry, i had to get it out...
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2002
    Ya, I never looked at it that way. It is bad enough that these people sue for these things but they actually win the cases.
    I want to be a rich idiot..... Ha! :rolleyes:
  • ntculenuff
    edited January 2002
    scottvamp
    I want to be a rich idiot..... Ha!
    MEEEEEE TOOOOOO:D
    Speakers:
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • EJ
    EJ Posts: 42
    edited January 2002
    I watched this movie New Years eve and the sound was outstanding! It may not be Oscar material but it is definatly a first class HT experience. Extras are good as well and it makes a great rental.

Regards
    Emmett
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2002
    Well, not totally 'ug', I did make it through the entire movie. The sound is first class, very well done. Unfortunately, that is about the only thing well done with this movie. I expected a little more in the driving sequences.

Since when does a 10 second quarter mile last 42 seconds? And nos, nos, nos....gimmie a break, underbody neons, a **** pipe and a 50 shot of No2, a race car does not make. Not a bad movie, but definatley not a 'must own', even for demo purposes.

As far as driving goes, I enjoyed Ronin 10x more. Don't be afraid to rent it though, it is bareable, but this was the first, and more than likely last time I will watch it......

Cheers,
    Russ

(we won't even go into the predictable good cop-bad cop, car-gang, tough guy plot.....)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2002
    dammit, and I was all ready to rent this one! I have painted the racing stripes on the 7's and put plenty o' decals on them for effects too.

Now what do I do??

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • shrek001
    shrek001 Posts: 51
    edited January 2002
    good movie, my denon 5800 in dts, tore up the track.......

but I did enjoy gone in 60 seconds a little more

A must have for showing off your ht!!!
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited January 2002
    i don't see what all the hype is about this movie. i didn't think it was all that great. it had a few cool parts, but nothing exceptional. i work at blockbuster (come on, give me a break, i'm in college) and all people have been asking for for the last 2 months is when it comes out. it came out on the 2nd and we sold and rented out every copy (50 for sale, 130 for rent) in less than 2 hours. now i have all these redneck, cajun idiots asking "ya'll have the Fast and Fury?" they don't even know the correct name. Scottvamp knows what kind of people i'm talking about. allright, i'm done ranting. let the flaming begin for working at blockbuster!
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2002
    Ya I know those people. They have the whole Dukes of Hazard collection. Ha! Actually in my town this movie is completly sold out. They cant keep on the shelf. I liked it -- good demo material at the least. :cool:
  • ntculenuff
    edited January 2002
    Dukes of hazzard collection...Do you think i could get that on DVD ??:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Speakers:
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2002
    You have to have a Redneck id. Ha!:p
  • ntculenuff
    edited February 2002
    finaly watched fast and the furious last night..reminded me of point break a little..
    story line enuff to sit thru..
    the dts sound track yee haw, damn i was watching this with my wife had the ole' ht cranked up felt like i was there..while we were watching it one of my rt10 grills vibrated off, that will wake you up..timber, kina scared me :eek:, the wife and i both had a little jump and laugh :p
    Speakers:
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • Micah Cohen
    edited February 2002
    Micah watched it, and actually was okay with it. It was kinda POINT BREAKish. And even tho I hate that whole rice rocket scene (note that the best car in F&F is the American car he races with at the end!), I thought that...

1. The soundtrack on this DVD ROCKED. It's better than GONE IN 60 SEX, and better than DRIVEN. It flat out pounds. I had white knuckles.
    2. The story was adequate to "drive" the movie, plus it was only like 90 mins long, so as soon as I was getting bored, it was over.
    D. I like Vin Diesel. He's great. I have the feeling that he's a really talented actor getting stuck with these thick-neck roles. He's interesting and nuanced. I can't wait to see him play someone more interesting.
    4. Two words: JORDANA BREWSTER.

jordana1.jpg

Nuff said. She's only 22. She made my heart hurt. If you see her around, please have her call me.

The red car that Vin Diesel drives is a Polk car, altho in the film they show its soundsystem and it most definitely NOT Polk product. Someone else got the product placement shot. Damn. Has anyone watched the extra stuff on the disc, and does it show any Polk stuff?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• juice21
    edited February 2002
    i haven't seen any props to polk on the disc yet. i've watched a bunch of the features, but not all yet...
  • Micah Cohen
    edited February 2002
    Yeah, well, all I have to say is...

jordana2.jpg
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• juice21
    edited February 2002
    but i am left to retaliate with this...

c87.jpg
  • Micah Cohen
    edited February 2002
    WOAW!

Yes. I think I have a new fantasy woman. She went to Yale, you know; she's smarter than all of us put together.

I gotta stare at this for a while.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• juice21
    edited February 2002
    c88.jpg

maybe these should be going in the micah appreciation thread...:D
  • Micah Cohen
    edited February 2002
    Okay, stop. This is getting painful now. (How come I couldn't find these awesome shots?!)

Hold my calls.
    ultramicah@yahoo.com