I need help with speaker selection!

Options
whitedogone
whitedogone Posts: 4
edited December 2003 in Speakers
I have an older sub/sat system I.E., one sub and two sats. I am not sure of the model though. The sats are the grayish rock looking ones and say Series II on them. The sub is down firing passive. I would like to add rears and a center for HT. I was thinking I could find something on Ebay but I don't know what would match up with my current setup. Also, I was thinking that two of the sats like I currently have would fit in my entertainment center better than a wide center channel speaker. Could that be done? TIA for your responses guys/gals. :)
Post edited by whitedogone on

Comments

• thehalo8
    thehalo8 Posts: 127
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I would suggest first you find out what kind of power your receiver puts out. You can get some nice speakers on eBay for cheaper prices, but they may not sound too good if underpowered.
    Mains: Polk RTi70's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surrounds: Polk TC60i's
    Sub: Polk PSW505
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS696
    TV: Samsung HLS 5687W 56"
    DVD: Sony DVP S5300
    Protection: Monster HTS 3600
    Backup Battery: Belkin AP3080010
  • whitedogone
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I guess I should have stated that I am running a JVC RX-884VBK. It's output is 100w/channel in the suround mode. I think that my Polks might have been RM 3000's. Does that sound right?
  • whitedogone
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Can anybody help? :confused:
  • Telemundo
    Telemundo Posts: 45
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Well, why dont u tell us alittle more bout what u want it for? For movies or for mainly 2 channel music? What's your budget like? How big is your listening area? Any of those factors above will help you decide which speakers to go with.
  • whitedogone
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Sure, this is for a second HT system. The system is mainly for watching TV and some movies. I'm just running the two speaks now, along with the passive sub. It's in a fairly large room (12'x20'). For now I am going to use the Polk passive sub that I have. I was hoping to just add some fronts and rears and use the two sats that I have now for the center. The reason I would like to use the two sats for the center is that they fit beside my receiver nicely. A long center channel would not fit in the entertainment center at all. I was trying to put it together on the cheap.
  • drumsnspace
    drumsnspace Posts: 6
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Well I am not a speaker expert or anything, but I have heard that center channel is the most important speaker out of the whole set up. 50% of the dialog from movies comes from the center. You couldn't fit the center either above or below the TV? It is important to anchor the dialog to the middle of the screen.

But if it just doesn't work for you, I have heard that FXi30's are good for inexpensive surround, and RTi38's would probably be good for fronts.

You can find new ones on Ebay for decent prices as far as I can tell.

I do not necessarily advocate going into debt, but if the difference is a $100 or so, I think it might be a decent idea to use a credit card to pony up the extra cash to buy good speakers.

With stuff I plan to have for awhile, it is my opinion that it is worthwhile to spend a touch more than otherwise, just because it really sucks to buy something and then find out you don't like it and you want to buy something else.