new toys

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited December 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I bagged a Marantz 2238B receiver the other day, paid a little more than I wanted but what the heck.....

Got it set up in the other spare bedroom with my KLH model 22's and AR XA turntable....what a FUN rig to listen to. The highs on the KLH's can get a little rough but the the rest is just pure magic.

Anyone who says that hifi started with the CD, c'mon over and have a listen.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• TroyD
    edited December 2003
    Oh, I went to the base thrift shop today at lunch and practically STOLE a pair of Dynaco A-25 speakers......

BDT
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited December 2003
    I want something
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • TroyD
    edited December 2003
    what do you want?
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2003
    If Hoosier gets something I want something too. :)

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2003
    Guess what I want.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2003
    Damn you Troy and your bargain hunting....you guys are an odd lot of blokes.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • George Grand
    edited December 2003
    A-25 is a nice pair of speakers. Not the deepest low end but real accurate and flat within the range it does reproduce. I used a pair of those with a pair of A-10's in a surround system driving them with various Dynaco amps. An SCA-80Q with the DynaQuad circuit aboard, and with an ST-120/Quadaptor combo. I even used a Dynaco FM-5 pre/tuner as a front end for a complete Dynaco rig. Awful lot of good sound. That was a good find.

$3 doesn't set the standard though. I've found mint tube FM tuners for $3. Kind of killed me to pay $6 for the matching tube integrated but that was the deal. They were Shell products. One was called The Manhassett, and one was called The Hampton., but I can't remember which was which. I ended up trading those for a pair of Polk RTA11TL's.

• TroyD
    edited December 2003
    I think the lovely Wendi put it best:

'George sets the standard for other to follow but will never be able to achieve.'

I have no idea what that means but it sounds good.

BDT
  • George Grand
    edited December 2003
    I'm tellin' ya, it's like a freakin' CURSE. But I'm managing in spite of it.

• weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited December 2003
    With Troy and his bargain hunting....He doens't leave anything in this town for anyone else to find.....Always too late.....Troy need to leave a sign at the front door "Troy has been here"
  • TroyD
    edited December 2003
    Not true, not true.....

There is a MINT pair of Sansui SP/XP-1700 (or somesuch) at the base thrift store, a little high priced at 20 bucks (I think) though. They looked like they were brand new though.

BDT
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2003
    If you happen to venture back in could you check to see the woofer size on those Sansuis? I need one 12" for a pair.

Since we're talking "new toys", I just bagged a Sansui AU-999 integrated and it is sounding veerrrrrryyy sweet.
    Make it Funky! :)