Is the H/K 7200 enough to run the Lsi25's or RTi12's?

Options
Parson
Parson Posts: 18
edited December 2003 in Speakers
I've heard the rti12's witht the h/k 7200 and they sounded good, but there was no bass at any level unless the bass knob on the receiver was turned up. Is this normal or is the H/k still not enough power?

Will it do better witht he LSi25 since they have powered subs in them?

Thnx
Post edited by Parson on

Comments

• RVJII
    RVJII Posts: 167
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I'm running my RTi12's with an Onkyo TX-NR900 (110/per and 140 dynamic @ 8 ohms) and it works very well. Once the speakers were broken in I did notice that the bass seemed to extend lower and hit harder. I do have the base turned up about 6db but have been thinking about turning it down a bit.

Sometime down the line I will most likely get a more powerful seperate amp and have no doubt that it will sound even better. (I'd really like the Adcom GFA 7807...Santa? Are you listening? :D )

Anyway, from the specs on that h/k 7200 I would guess that you would be just fine. Just my $.02.
    A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Personally, I'd go with the 12's. Running an entire setup of 4 ohm speakers (the LSi line) you'd be putting a strain on the receiver, even though it is one of HK's top AVR's. When I first went in and listened to the 12's at Fry's Electronics out here in Phoenix they sounded flat and shallow. When I went back a few weeks later, the sound had DRASTICALLY improved, and they were using a mid-line Onkyo receiver. When I had A/B'd the RTi12's and the 150's, the bass was significantly heavier on the 150's, but then again they'd been broken in at that point.

On my second visit, I'd say that the concerns that I had with the 12's lacking bass had been absolved for the most part after letting them break in for a month. I think that you could be content with them without a seperate sub, but further down the line, I think that you ultimately have to add a sub to reach the really deep stuff that the 12's (or any other tower) aren't able to achieve.

btw......I'm not a big fan of powered tower speakers.....too touchy to balance the bass output on them with everything IMO.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.