Windows Vista log on problem, need help

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited September 2012 in The Clubhouse
Started my laptop this morning and stupid Vista has locked me out from logging in.

The error I get is that log on authentication has failed.. you're screwed!

so I can't get into my computer. Basically I have two user accounts on the computer... i can log into and use my secondary account, but I can not log in an use the primary user, which is the master account.

How do I get around it or set the log on back to defaults.
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Easy as pie!

Go to http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ and follow the instructions :)

You'll be able to get rid of your admin password (or any other for that matter), reboot and log right into the admin user.

Enjoy!

FYI, it's great for getting in just about anyone's computer.....not that I condone such behavior!
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • kawizx9r
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You should be able to burn a cd/usb boot for Vista in case you ever lose/forget your password again.

If I recall correctly, it's somewhere in the User/Administration settings in your control panel.

-Freddy
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• fujicat
    fujicat Posts: 18
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You are infected with spyware. With Vista home, you can not log in as administrator. You need the password reset tool.
    SDA SRS, 3.1TL, 2B, SDA CRS, Outlaw Sub
    Carver TMF and SAE amps, Panny projector
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited June 2010
    Options
    fujicat wrote: »
    You are infected with spyware. With Vista home, you can not log in as administrator. You need the password reset tool.

Wow, how did you run a remote malware scan on his box to know what the cause of his issue is? AMAZING!!!

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • mmadden28
    edited June 2010
    Options
    danger boy wrote: »
    Started my laptop this morning and stupid Vista has locked me out from logging in.

The error I get is that log on authentication has failed.. you're screwed!

so I can't get into my computer. Basically I have two user accounts on the computer... i can log into and use my secondary account, but I can not log in an use the primary user, which is the master account.

How do I get around it or set the log on back to defaults.

Before you go the route of externally resetting the admin password (which doesn't always work and sometimes can make things worse), give your system a break for a little while--depending on the settings it may auto unlock the account (maybe 15 mins or an hour) if that is the problem.

Also be sure that none of your keyboard keys are stuck, esp the CTRL/ALT/SHIFT keys.

Also, does your secondary account happen to have admin rights? If so, reset the primary account's password that way.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
  • fujicat
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I work on computers all day. I have just seen some spyware lock you out of you machine. To fix a vista, I would pull the hard drive out and edit the registry on a different machine.
    Do a search for password reset tools. There is 1 free one that will let you choose any account to reset the password. Vista by default disables the admin account.
  • danger boy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i did not forget my password.. it just says the log in user authentication is not responding.

might be malware, anything is possible these days.

I did install 6 updates just before this happen. so maybe one of them monkey'd with the settings
  • mmadden28
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I work on computers all day. I have just seen some spyware lock you out of you machine. To fix a vista, I would pull the hard drive out and edit the registry on a different machine.
    Do a search for password reset tools. There is 1 free one that will let you choose any account to reset the password. Vista by default disables the admin account.

As do I, in the computer and network security end of things--just because somebody is locked out of their computer because of a password failure does not immediately mean they are infected with a virus or other malware. Possible? sure but not the final diagnosis by any stretch.

Editing the registry will not fix a password issue.

The OP didn't say anything about the built-in hidden "Administrator" account but his "master/admin" account-which means his account with administrator privileges.

A free password reset tool that lets you choose the account to reset has already been suggested.

• mmadden28
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i did not forget my password.. it just says the log in user authentication is not responding.

might be malware, anything is possible these days.

I did install 6 updates just before this happen. so maybe one of them monkey'd with the settings

Run a malware scan on the system using a Live CD such as the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD), or PartedMagic, etc. Just some CD/USB bootable distro that allows you to run antivirus scans on your offline windows drive. PartedMagic (standalone or included with UBCD) has ClamAV installed and allows for updating the defs, then you can scan the windows directory.

There are many more choices in that respect but start there.

• kawizx9r
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Im with mmadden28 on this one :)
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• danger boy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ok. thanks. i'll do that when I get home tonight... it has happend before, but usually fixes itself after rebooting, this time it won't though.
  • fujicat
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You are correct on editing registry will not reset a password. But it will give you a change to look at your startup items to see what is starting. The spyware stuff that I have seen it the last month, has been more destructive. Changing permissions, disabling service and locking you out. I'm not saying you are infected, but it is a good possibility.
  • fujicat
    edited June 2010
    Options
    One other thing you can try with Vista is boot the install CD, go to repair my computer and from there do a system restore.
    Good Luck
  • kawizx9r
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You are correct on editing registry will not reset a password. But it will give you a change to look at your startup items to see what is starting. The spyware stuff that I have seen it the last month, has been more destructive. Changing permissions, disabling service and locking you out. I'm not saying you are infected, but it is a good possibility.

This is exactly why I don't do any web-browsing on my primary OS :)

It's just getting worse and worse out there.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited June 2010
    Options

Forgive my silly questions...

1. Is the hard drive making weird or strange noises? Sometimes, a failing hard drive just so happens to have a bad cluster where your profile is and will lock you out which is why the last time this happen all you had to do was reboot, giving the drive another chance to read the bad sector or re-align.

2. Any chance you're not logging into the correct domain or not logging into the laptop itself? I know, I know. Dumb question but I have to ask.

3. Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and attempting to log in with your admin account from there? This assumes you're not on a domain account. This won't fix your problem but will give a clue as to what's going on.
  • danger boy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    fat,

the HD is not making strange noises

i do not think i am logging into the wrong domain and I don't have a password in my laptop to log into

3. i have booted into safe mode, but honestly, i don't know what i'm looking for in their.
  • fatchowmein
    edited June 2010
    Options
    fat,

the HD is not making strange noises

i do not think i am logging into the wrong domain and I don't have a password in my laptop to log into

3. i have booted into safe mode, but honestly, i don't know what i'm looking for in their.

So what you're saying is that when you boot up, you have the option of two user accounts but only one of them works, correct? In other words, when you boot up, you see two icons and you merely click on whichever one you want and it goes straight to the desktop without asking for a password but one of them doesn't work?
  • fatchowmein
    edited June 2010
    Options
    One other question. Have you been experiencing Shutdown problems whereby the system hangs and you merely close the lid because it's taking so long? The symptom is a "shutting down" comment but it takes forever to turn off.
  • fatchowmein
    edited June 2010
    Options
    fat,

i have booted into safe mode, but honestly, i don't know what i'm looking for in their.

When you're in Safe Mode, pick the "Administrator" account. I'm guessing there's not a password for it. If it's asking you for a password while you're in Safe Mode for the Administrator account, we won't be able to use this fix. If your other account has administrator rights, you can use it instead of the "Administrator" account to unlock the locked account.

Once you're in the desktop, go to the Control Panel and select User Accounts. Find the account that is locked and reset the password even if you've never had one before. You can always go back later and remove the password.

Sorry, I'm not at home so I don't have Vista in front of me so I'm doing this from memory and cannot give you the exact steps to take.
  • ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Boot into safe mode, and try to log into your "main" account (the one you're locked out of right now). It may let you on in Safe Mode.

If not, use the "Administrator" login if you can remember the password. It would have asked you to create one when you installed Vista.

If you can get into any account in Safe Mode, go to Control Panel>Users and either create a new admin account or reset your password on the old admin account. I prefer to have 2 admin accounts (with separate passwords) just in case something happens to one.

I've had several profiles just go kaput randomly and not let me log back in before.
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • danger boy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    So what you're saying is that when you boot up, you have the option of two user accounts but only one of them works, correct? In other words, when you boot up, you see two icons and you merely click on whichever one you want and it goes straight to the desktop without asking for a password but one of them doesn't work?

Yes sir! that is correct.
  • danger boy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    One other question. Have you been experiencing Shutdown problems whereby the system hangs and you merely close the lid because it's taking so long? The symptom is a "shutting down" comment but it takes forever to turn off.

yes it does hang some, but not forever.. slower than I would like of course.
  • fatchowmein
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Okay. Looks like that profile may be corrupt and that's why you're having logon and shutdown issues (system saves your profile during logoff/shutdown). Before you go with the password reset, let's try Last Known Good Configuration.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Using-Last-Known-Good-Configuration Configuration.

Hopefully, that'll repair any errors and anomolies from prior shutdowns or bad updates.

If it doesn't work, attempt the Safe Mode password reset we mentioned earlier and see how far you get.

Good luck
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Boot up in safe mode, then go into the account and delete the password. Easy.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • danger boy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ok.. a friend helped me fix the problemo. he went in and deleted my user profile and while I lost all my settings and bookmarks, that seems to be the only set backs.. everything else seems ok though.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ok.. a friend helped me fix the problemo. he went in and deleted my user profile and while I lost all my settings and bookmarks, that seems to be the only set backs.. everything else seems ok though.

Should this happen in the future DB see post 25.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • danger boy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Sherardp wrote: »
    Should this happen in the future DB see post 25.

dang, i never listen huh? ;)
  • ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    edited June 2010
    Options
    And next time tell your friend to copy your Favorites+Desktop folder somewhere safe before deleting the old profile. That way you keep all your bookmarks and settings, but lose all the other problem-inducing things.
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • danger boy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    welp, i found out the problem with my laptop running Vista..

it seems when i download and install the latest windows update, it locks me out of the log on and I did a reset last night and everything is ok.. from the last time I had a set point, which was like 24 hours before.

I should have tried that reset before my friend deleted my profile. my bad..
  • danger boy
    edited July 2010
    Options
    wellp.. i found out that Adobe reader update kept prompting me to install the update.. well that was what was effing up my log on problems. it changed the log on user profile for me, the admin and it locked me out of my Vista laptop.

either the Adobe update is messed up.. OR it's a trojan and not really a true Acrobat updater.

what do you all think?

I have uninstalled all Adobe acrobat from my computer, but the install update is still prompting me to install it.. so i think it's a trojan/virus :mad::mad: