imaging question, problem

gmorris
gmorris Posts: 1,179
edited November 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I've been tweaking my R30's placement now for over a week. Each night I'll move them about & see what happens. I think I've finally got it, but I have one question.

I started moving them around to try to clean up the bass. It was too boomy. Now, with the current placement, I think the bass is just right. So then I started to play with the toe-in angle. At first I had too much toe-in, which gave a very focused image, but little soundstage width. So I decreased the toe-in until I got a good balance of image focus & soundstage width. The placement & toe-in I have now sounds just right to me.

On to my question: The center image, such as lead vocals, any guitar that is center stage, cymbals ect... all seem too high. The image seems to be about 1 - 1-1/2 feet above the top of the speaker (but in the middle of course). Is there a way to lower the image, or is it supposed to sound that high?
Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
Post edited by gmorris on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2003
    Originally posted by gmorris

On to my question: The center image, such as lead vocals, any guitar that is center stage, cymbals ect... all seem too high. The image seems to be about 1 - 1-1/2 feet above the top of the speaker (but it the middle of course). Is there a way to lower the image, or is it supposed to sound that high?

You can downtilt the speakers to adjust this. I really enjoy the height you seem to be listening to. Just a matter of preference I guess.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited November 2003
    Those speakers are about 33" high, right? If the center image was on the same level, to me, it would seem like there was a band of midgets playing. Good sound reproduction should have width, depth and height.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gmorris
    edited November 2003
    ....we represent the lolli pop guild.....

anyway, you think the image height that I've described is about right, hugh? I don't know where it is supposed to be.

also, what, if any, speaker placement adjustments can be made to alter the soundstage depth? or is that more of a function of the electronics, the amp & preamp?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited November 2003
    For me, it's about trying to get as close as possible to a live performance, so a center image height should be taller rather than shorter. IMO, depth is a function of all components, but mostly the speakers. I don't know how to get more depth out of a speaker that doesn't have it to begin with. Maybe somebody else does.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gmorris
    edited November 2003
    Excellent advice.

That sounds right to me, that if live, it would sound about that high. I think I'm done with setting them up now. I will just have to enjoy them now & stop being so anal about it.

Rock on!
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2003
    Another great tweak is to use the spikes to tilt your speakers back a little if the tweeters are below your ears. The trick is trying to get the tweeters on the same level as your ears.

For final adjustments, cut a long piece of string. Tape one end of it on the chair where your butt would be. Measure the distance of one speaker with the string and mark it with a tape. Now check the other speaker. Make sure both speakers are the exact same distance to you.

Maurice