The Blues on PBS....

Options
Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
edited November 2003 in Music & Movies
Could be very nice...

http://www.pbs.org/theblues/

A 5 CD set is already up on Amazon.com for the discounted price of $55.98.
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by Tour2ma on

Comments

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Other than this, you got any suggestions on a couple of great blues albums to get started with? I've always loved the bluesier (sp?) side of rock and would love to explore it furthur.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    dc,
    You'll get more rec's now than you can handle... mostly from others... and there have been a couple threads in the past on the Blues...

I'lll start with one that's often overlooked... Johnny Winter's "The Progressive Blues Experiment"... possible to still find the vinyl.

Otherwise Lightnin Hopkins' "L.A. Blues", Muddy Waters' "I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man", James Cotton "Best of the Verve Years" jump out of my meager collection....

Picked up BB King's "Live at the Regal" based on a strong endorsement by F1, but have not spun it yet. BB's "Blues Summit" is a good listen.

And while I can't name a specific album, John Lee Hooker is a name I need to add to my collection.

And another from the dim past, Mississippi Fred McDowell's "I do not play no rock and roll", features great bottleneck work.

Early Steve Miller and Boz Scaggs, deserve a mention...

and on and on...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • redhouse
    redhouse Posts: 78
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Alright a post that will fire me up. Trust me I not only play the blues on guitar in clubs and such but I am a huge lover of blues music. To get you started and really turned on to the blues, I would start with these.

1. Stevie Ray Vaughan, The blues before sunrise cd.
    2. Buddy Guy, Live the real deal
    3. Ronnie Baker Brooks, Take me with ya.
    4. Jimi Hendrix the Blues album.
    5. Eric and BB King, Riding with the king or
    Eric Clapton from the craddle.
    You will dig this stuff based on you saying you always like the blues side of rock.
  • dcarlson
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Cool. :cool: Baby steps.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Picked up BB King's "Live at the Regal" based on a strong endorsement by F1, but have not spun it yet. BB's "Blues Summit" is a good listen.[/QUOTE

I guess Jessie just is more credible and my review in the R&R thread ( http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8909 ) didn't carry much weight :( ... JK.

BTW - Just take the (CD or LP) out of the package and PLAY it! One of the finest blues recording ever!

Good calls on Johnny Winter and Stevie Ray Vaughan...Don't forget that Edgar Winter plays a little blues too. Winter Blues is a nice little album that I've spent some time with lately. (Yes...White Boys can play the Blues...)

Let's not forget the other King..."Albert" King. Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters are must haves if you are getting back to early blues.

Some compilation albums you might want to consider:

Muddy Waters - His Best: 1956-1964

Robert Johnson - King Of The Delta Blues

Albert King - Ultimate Collection
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,874
    edited September 2003
    Options
    In addition to the many great blues men listed already here are a few more.

Albert Collins - anything and everything by this great Texas blues legend.

Robert Lucas - "Luke and the Locomotives" A bunch of white guys and one of the best recordings ever made.

Freddie King - the third King brother, also great.

Junior Wells - pure Delta blues.....doesn't get much more blue than this.

Lonnie Mack - "Attack of the Killer V" Awesome performance.

Climax Blues Band - "FM Live" Classic.

I don't know Shack, quess he liked my presentation more. ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma

And while I can't name a specific album, John Lee Hooker is a name I need to add to my collection.

I just purchased "The Very Best of John Lee Hooker" at BB for $10, Rhino Records, Cat. # R2 71915.

Some of the tracks are really rough, which is not surprising really. I mean it's a $10 dollar CD! That being said, I like it!! Raw, gutsy, and powerfull. This is great intro to his music, I'll be looking for more soon.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Here is a local radio station that also happens to broadcast over the net. They are going to be running it in simulcast.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Gidrah,
    Thanks for the nod to the original thread theme...

Nothing wrong with a good Blues discussion though...
    Originally posted by shack
    I guess Jessie just is more credible and my review in the R&R thread ( http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8909 ) didn't carry much weight :( ... JK.
    Holy brainfart Batman.... Should have consulted "da List"...

Interesting slant towards Delta Blues developing, which is right and proper, but there is a whole 'nother center to that universe... Chicago Blues.

Anyone remember "The Siegel Schwall Band" from the 70's?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by shack
    BTW - Just take the (CD or LP) out of the package and PLAY it! One of the finest blues recording ever!
    Robert Johnson - King Of The Delta Blues
    OK, I brought BB out last nite and must say it's very fine indeed. BB does need to watch those "plosives" though... jumped about three times.

Also rumaging through an odd pile of discs I've got the 1997 Sony reissue of RJ's "KotDB's". Twenty-four tracks dating back as far as 1936... Now them's some old Blues... Good stuff and sound is amazingly good on many tracks.... Many sound like they were recorded on sandpaper using a tin can mike, but somehow it only adds to the charm.... Good call, shack.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Frank Z
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gidrah
    Here is a local radio station that also happens to broadcast over the net. They are going to be running it in simulcast.
    Howz 'bout some linkages?
  • mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dcarlson
    Other than this, you got any suggestions on a couple of great blues albums to get started with? I've always loved the bluesier (sp?) side of rock and would love to explore it furthur.

I'm a huge Stevie Ray Vaughan fan and higly recommend
    all his cd's, especially Texas Flood and In Step. Pick up his
    dvd 'Live at El Mocombo' to see Stevie play a blistering
    performance. His dvd 'Austin City Limits' is also great.
    You can't go wrong with Stevie IMO.
    Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Kenny Wayne Shepard as well.
  • Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Frank, This guy is getting out your way now. If you get a chance check him out..
    http://www.hamiltonloomis.com/
    I think I owe you a..........ummm... CD loan. Let me know if you are interested.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I forgot to put the link.
    http://wdetfm.org/listenlive/
    Make it Funky! :)
  • dcarlson
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I'll be hitting a good vinyl shop in Toronto in couple of weeks. I'll mark some of the suggestions here and hopefully score some.

Thanks guys.

• Tour2ma
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Series started tonite.... I found it very soothing, which is to say I fell asleep on the couch...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• hljones821
    hljones821 Posts: 35
    edited October 2003
    Options
    It looked great on PBS HD in 1080i with DD5.1 sound
    2 Channel: Adcom GTP-450,Adcom GFA-555II,Denon DVD-1920,Denon DCD-610,Pro-ject Phono Box E, Music Hall MMF-2.3 SE with Music Hall Spirit, Klipsch RP-250f, Velodyne F-1200 sub

HT Rig: Mitsubishi WD-73642,HK AVR-2600, Sony BDP-S580, Polk RTi100, Polk R50s,CSi25 Center,SVS 25-31 PCi Sub NSD Upgrade
  • dcarlson
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I went to pick up a CD today and came across a few CDs of the Martin Scorsese Presents the Blues, Jimi Hendrix, B.B. King and Muddy Waters. I didn't see Robert Johnson. Anyway they were pretty cheap and was wondering if they're worth picking up and if anyone else has.

Futureshop has the DVD of the PBS show for $150CDN, ouch.