Speaker building project

gmorris
gmorris Posts: 1,179
edited December 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Hello everyone. After the successul subwoofer project I completed with help from many of you, I have decided to tackle the full range tower again. This time, I've found a design that was done by someone else, and has been built & used successfuly. Here is a link to that desing:
http://members.interfold.com/tedrobinson/

I would like everyones thoughts on this design & project. This is just one version of the project, there are a couple others, but I like this one the best. Here is a link to another:
http://www.wadsnet.com/~dtenney/dayton_8MTM.htm

Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg
Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
Post edited by gmorris on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2003
    www.adireaudio.com has plans and parts for many speaker designs also.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    edited November 2003
    Do you want to stay with something more in the "line array" theme or are you open to other layouts? Full range front loaded horns can be a very cool project with low cost and very effecient. Then there is always bigger with compression driver horns. Lots of stuff out there.
  • gmorris
    edited November 2003
    This will be my 2'nd build project, the first of which was the subwoofer, which turned out to be easy. As such, I'm looking to keep things simple. This fits the bill, as the X-over is already designed, the cabinet is designed, and the drivers & X-over components are pre-selected. All I have to do is build it.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12462
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    edited November 2003
    :eek: Hey CNC - that's cheating. :D
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2003
    You might also try here....

http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/default.htm

Either the Eros MkII or the Lyra. Both fully designed, but possibly better sound quality than the Dayton-based. Don't get me wrong, I've read GREAT things about the Dayton-based DIY systems and drivers (especially the 1.125" silk dome). But if you wanted higher quality drivers....
  • gmorris
    edited November 2003
    Yes, I've reviewed the Eros MkII & the Lyra, but I'd rather stick with the Dayton because of the much lower cost of components, just in case I goof up big time & the whole thing is a steaming ****. I also like the dual 8" drivers.
  • burdette
    edited November 2003
    Well, you sound as if you've decided. Your original post asked for opinions.... hard to tell. I've read the exact same thing you read.

You might try posting the question on the Parts Express forum. I'll bet there are more than one guys over there who have either built this project or used the drivers and have opinions on them.

http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl
  • gmorris
    edited November 2003
    Well no, actually my original post did not ask for options, I asked what everyone thought about this project. I pretty much have decided on this one based on the low cost & it looks like it won't be overly difficult.

There are always people on here full of tips, that is what I'm after, I guess.
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited November 2003
    building a speakers is a lot of work. I used a polk design to build a sub woofer for some db-10's. Why not just go out a buy some nice LSi speakers? :D
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2003
    Wardsweb - I salute you! Someday I'll find some time and actually build the FR line arrays I've been meaning to for some time. After that it's time to put my Altecs into a more "magnificent" enclosure.;)
    Make it Funky! :)
  • burdette
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by gmorris
    Well no, actually my original post did not ask for options, I asked what everyone thought about this project.

Well, I always as many options as possible when making a decision, to be sure I've considered everything I should consider. Didn't mean to step on toes or question your judgment.

I'd still go over the PE forum and ask there if you want more information... although, again, not sure what information you might want if you've decided. BUT, you probably can find out what people think of the sound, if they've altered the crossover for any reason, etc.