Holy Cow!!

gmorris
gmorris Posts: 1,179
edited November 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Holy Crap everyone!!

I finally got to experience some high end gear. Last night on my way home from work, I decided to stop in at an audio/video store. It is called Audio Craft in Fairlawn, Oh for anyone in the Akron area.

I got to listen to the Anthem TLP 1 preamp, the Anthem PVA 2 2 channel amp, Paradigm Studio 80's, some random Sony CD player, Monster Cable M2.2s™ Speaker Cable, and some random interconnects. This was my first time listening to gear of this high caliber. It was awesome. I finally understand all the catch phrases about soundstage width & depth, imaging, detail, all that stuff.

It was very cool.
Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
Post edited by gmorris on

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited November 2003
    That first experience is always the best!

If you REALLY want to hear some HIGH end gear, drive on down to Columbus for a day. Go to Progressive Audio. No words can describe the stuff you'll hear there!

www.progressiveaudio.com
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • gmorris
    edited November 2003
    i just checked out that website, man alive. that store is the cat's pajamas, the bees knees! (just saw School of Rock)

I will have to stop in there next time i'm in Columbus. i will be shooting on down there to check out the Sofa Express outlet store for a new leather couch for my new home theater room.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    i used to frequent audiocraft's flagship store on carnegie ave in cleveland in the 70's, when it was really high end, e.g., mcintosh, ar, klipsch... 2nd room was advent, epi, etc...

stopped by a couple years ago and definitely has moved to more mid-line stuff.

progressive's line up is more than a bit higher on the food chain...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gmorris
    edited November 2003
    yes, I agree the Anthem equipment is more mid-line, but that is why I listened to it, I could potentially afford it. It certainly sounded better than my 7 year old Pioneer receiver, which I now MUST replace.
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited November 2003
    I grew up shopping at Progressive Audio (still do)...what a wonderful audio shop. Highly recommended.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited November 2003
    Not to diss Anthem or Paradigm, but your awesome listening experience was no doubt the result of the other aforementioned components.....specifically the Random CD player and Random interconnects. They absolutely rock!!! They are not too well known yet but just watch out! ;)
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    dragon,
    do you have a link to Random you can post?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gmorris
    edited November 2003
    dragon1952,

I also forgot to mention the Paradigms were pointed at each other, with me sitting on top of one of them, all the while wearing a Santa hat, pulled down over my entire face. I was also demo-ing the pink noise section of a home theater setup disc. HILARIOUS
  • dragon1952
    edited November 2003
    dragon, do you have a link to Random you can post?

Hmmmm?!?.........just had it here a minute ago!?!? :rolleyes:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dragon1952
    edited November 2003
    I also forgot to mention the Paradigms were pointed at each other, with me sitting on top of one of them, all the while wearing a Santa hat, pulled down over my entire face. I was also demo-ing the pink noise section of a home theater setup disc. HILARIOUS

:p
  • gmorris
    edited November 2003
    Today, I had a hum dinger of an idea.

I'm going to do a 5.1 surround sound system, but here is the catch. For the 5 speakers, I'm going to use 5 Bose Wave Radios, which will get their input signal from an FM modulator, set to 88.9. Then I'll tune the Wave radios to 88.9, and crank them up. While I'm at it, I'm going to use a ProLogic source instead of Dolby Digital, just because everyone knows mixed mono surround is WAY better than discreet.

At about $2000 just for the 5 Wave Radios, this should be about the most expensive, worst sounding system ever. Haaaaa. I know, it is a great idea. You can copy it if you want.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited November 2003
    i'm pretty sure you are going to need the auxillary input bases for all those wave radios. Bose sells em for $99 a pop, so you're at $2500 now
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    edited November 2003
    While high end has some advantages, I find most of it comes from bragging rights. Now not to upset anyone who has, loves, and continues to own these high end pieces, I use to be one of you audiophiles. I now consider myself an audio enthusiast. I love the music and find I can get 95% of the way to nirvana on 1/4 the bugdet of a high end system. Do your homework, a lot of research and mainly listen with your own ears. While reviews are a good yardstick you have to hear it for yourself. If you can't hear a difference, don't spend the extra money. Now, having said that here is a picture of a system I no longer have. Sold to fund A LOT of other purchases.
  • gmorris
    edited November 2003
    Yes, I agree. To most people, the differences are very small, but to each his own. That is why I auditioned the Anthem equipment. I'm thinking of buying a great sounding 2 channel system for my first speaker building project. The Anthem equipment is priced very reasonably, plus it had a quality of sound that I'd personally never heard before.

Also, why did you have such a killer system shoved in the corner like that? That rig should have been in a room all its own.
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    edited November 2003
    I actually bought new stuff before selling the old, so the Levinson/B&W were moved to this corner before boxing.