HK AVR230 Volume?

Options
brianwayne671
brianwayne671 Posts: 41
edited November 2003 in Speakers
Has anyone noticed there AVR230 or other HK receiver doesn't put out the same volume at similiar levels in digital (DVD) as opposed to analog sources? I can have my volume at -15 or -20 in analog and be plenty loud. However, when watching most any DVD, the volume needs to be at least -10 and preferably at -5 or even -3 to get real nice dialog. Of course it gets VERY loud in action scenes with the dynamics of DVD, but to get a real nice dialog volume it needs to really be up in the -5 range. Everything was calibrated with an SPL meter and my speaks are as follows. What do you guys listen at in terms of DVD's?

Center- Polk CSi30
Front- Polk RTi28's
Surrounds- Polk FXi30's
Sub Polk PSW303

Thanks,

Brian
Post edited by brianwayne671 on

Comments

• Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited November 2003
    Options
    check the calibrations again? you can even push the center a bit higher if you are having trouble with dialogue
  • brianwayne671
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Well, just in general the volume is much lower overall when playing DVD's than with other analog sources. For example, I play the tv on vid 2 at about -20 whereas the DVD at the same volume is at -5.
  • Telemundo
    Telemundo Posts: 45
    edited November 2003
    Options
    hi, brianwayne. I just got the same receiver recently, AVR230. Brought it back because i wanted to upgrade more power to the AVR430/630 instead. How did you system sound in your room? And how big is your listening area? I wanted to know how it sounds so it can help me base my decision between the 430/630. Thanks alot for taking your time for your help.
  • brianwayne671
    edited November 2003
    Options
    My room is fairly small, roughly 13 x 13 with one open wall to a dining room/hall/kitchen area. In most all other sources (analog) I would say this receiver is more than powerful enough. It just seems that it's lacking in the DVD area (optical/digital).
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited November 2003
    Options
    DVDs are just quieter, im pretty sure they are just made that way. dont worry i have a marants sr7200 and i have to turn my dvds up too
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Make sure you are not in night mode first off. Then when a DD source is locked go back into settup and check your channel levels. Put them at 0 across the board.

If you don't have an SPL meter do the best you can to hear level changes when running the h/k internal test mode.

Next step is an avia dist and most definetly an analog spl meter from the radio shack.

Hope this helps and is not redundant.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • brianwayne671
    edited November 2003
    Options
    HBOMB-

Night mode is off, and as stated above calibration was done. What level do others of you listen to DVD's at compared to analog sources on your receivers?
  • HBombToo
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by brianwayne671
    What level do others of you listen to DVD's at compared to analog sources on your receivers?

There is a slight reduction in volume on my h/k 520 but nothing like your experiencing. At a -15 on my h/k I am between 85 and 90 dB SPL. I'll typically run at a -25 to -30 for DVD's and I'll push a -15 for music because you don't have the huge swings in dynamic range on cd-music as you do on DVD's. You may have a bad unit....

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • brianwayne671
    edited November 2003
    Options
    HBOMB-

When you say it's at 85 and 90 db on the SPL, do you mean with the test tones? I get around 80 db at -10 on mine in DD with the test tones. The difference in that is that you receiver is rated at 75 watts x 5 while mine is rated at 50 x 5. Thing is, at -10 on a dvd the sound is fairly soft on the center channel, but when a loud passage comes around, look out! It get real loud real quick and I live in an apt. so that's not such a good thing. To get a real nice, clear, and good sounding volume from the center channel, I need it to be at around -5 which is a definite no no in the apt.

Brian
  • HBombToo
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by brianwayne671
    HBOMB-

When you say it's at 85 and 90 db on the SPL, do you mean with the test tones? Brian

I am using an Avia pink noise disc but even with the h/k tones as a stand alone I was hitting -85 no problem. I hardly think the difference between 50 and 75 watts is causing the difference. What type/guage of speaker cables are you using? Perhaps try bi-wiring your center channel if your using 16/18 guage or just jump to a 12 guage.

I'm just throwing things out there for you to consider...

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***