Question about special speaker grilles on 5jr speakers?

Options
nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited November 2003 in Speakers
Are the speaker grills for the 5jr model speakers designed to effect the way the tweeter sounds? Best explained through pictures...

Inside of speaker grill-
www.king-nerd.com/dood/images/2ch/mvc-003f.jpg

Tweeter-
www.king-nerd.com/dood/images/2ch/mvc-004f.jpg

Is that cutout meant to go around the tweeter and effect the sound?

Thanks,

nadams
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2003
    Options
    These are the last speakers my father ever bought & Mom still uses them. I must admit that I never noticed that. I occasionally inspect the rig when I'm down there, just to make sure that the wires are connected, the cleaning lady hasn't "polked" a hole in a driver, etc. Maybe a Polk employee will be able to tell you.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • nadams
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Anyone know? I also just noticed that they look like they might fit around the port, perhaps to reduce port noise or enhance the bass output? I'm kinda stumped about this, as when I got the speakers, one grill was on one way and the other was on the opposite way.

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Sorry folks, have to bump this to the top of the list.

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I know this thread is really old, but I'd still like to know about these things. If I could entice a Polk employee to answer without having to call them directly, it would be much appreciated. Thanks,

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Turbota
    Turbota Posts: 255
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Good luck talking to a Polk employee on this board.

Although I am fairly new to this board, Polk employees don't seem to get much envolved here. Maybe they are told to stay out.

There was a very long thread not long ago concerning the quality (or should I say .. lack of quality) of Polk's authorized distributor's listening rooms, displays, availability of Polk speakers, etc, etc.

Anyway, I don't think Polk made a comment about any of it.
    2-Channel Audio
    Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
    Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
    Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
    Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
    Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
  • nadams
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Well, I just PMed Ken Swauger, so we'll see if there's any response.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Don't pm him, email him.

My RT7's have a similar setup. Maybe it's along the lines of a phase-shield (to roll off high freq response).

That holds some weight (for me) with the 7's, as the original version of the trilam is a little on the bright side.... but the tweets used in the monitor series weren't (to my ears).

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.