New member, long time SDA-1C owner

Neo Fender
Neo Fender Posts: 1
edited November 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
As the subject states, I've owned a pair of walnut SDA-1Cs since new, serial # 11XXX. I believe they have the SL2000 tweeter but if I recall correctly subsequent polk speaker models came with an upgraded tweeter (SL2500 ???).

I understand there is an upgraded tweeter available. Is this a worthwhile upgrade from a cost/performance perspective? I'd also appreciate any other links or information on the entire, late great SDA line.
Post edited by Neo Fender on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2003
    Welcome!
    I understand the SL2500 may sound a little better. Others can probably help more though. The 1C is an awesome speaker!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    2500 and then 3000 in the tl line...

neither is a drop in replacement for the 2000 as they required different cross-overs.

the current replacement for the 2000 is the 2000t, which a few folks have moved to and report smoother highs...

contact helen at polk cs to order them. as a club member you get a discount and free shipping... works out to $44.95 per as i recall. if you're in one of a few lucky states, you get to pay sales tax as well.

you may be able to sell your 2000's here...

welcome to the club...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited November 2003
    I say if they work fine, why play with them. Wait until you need a new tweeter and then see about the upgrade. Man I wish my HT speakers sounded as good as the SRS's.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited November 2003
    To the best of my knowledge the SDA1C always had the SL2000.

The crossovers would, as Tour mentioned, need different components to accomodate a different tweeter like the SL3000 or SL2500. The schematics for the 1C, don't show a modification redline.

I am going to go into the new series, 2000t, after a couple of my SL2000's burn up. I don't expect that to happen anytime soon, but the word is, that they sound better.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited November 2003
    I misunderstood the question, Neo meant later models period...not just SDA1C.....ugh I am brain dead.

Sorry, but that comment still stands damnit! :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.