Sony users...

Options
Grimster74
Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
edited November 2003 in Electronics
Have a question for the members who use a Sony Receiver. I finally got around to setting up the H/T this weekend using to Digital Video Essentials, man what a job that was. Anyway, before using the DVE setup disc, I setup the AVR using the test tones built into the AVR. When watching a movie, it was plenty loud at around -50.0db to -45.0db. Now that my H/T has been setup with DVE, it seems I have to go up around -40.0db to get the same sound as I was getting at -50.0db. Is this normal, what I mean is it seems I'll strain the receiver more now that I have to go up -10.0db+/-. So, what volume level do the other Sony users have when they get up near or at reference level. If I'm not mistaken, I'll check to verify when I get home. But when I'm at reference levels using the DVE which they say to set a 75db., I think I'm at around -25.0db. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
Post edited by Grimster74 on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Grim - I will check mine later to let you know what mine is set at specifically.

Is it normal? Yes, the test tones that can be generated by the Sony, are definetly not reference tones. I also used DVE, also found it not super easy, but have similar results.

I watch all my movies at about -35.0, if thats helps you match the sound in your head for now. Music wise, it varies, but I have been venturing into the -27.0 region. You aren't going to hurt the Sony, yours is even more capable than mine.

When I get home I will check my levels and relay them to you, just so you have another point of reference. It won't be exactly like yours, due to physical factors....but you get the idea.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Grimster74
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Thanks a million Doro. It's funny, I titled my post "Sony users". I'm beginning to beleive you and I are the only Sony users out here.:D
  • Maurice
    Maurice Posts: 517
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I have not used the DVE disk to calibrate my audio yet, but I did set the crossovers and so forth. When I watch movies my volume is around -45db as well. Once I get my new sub I will calibrate the audio properly, but I dont see myself watching a movie much louder than I am now. From what I can tell, "reference level" must be loud as hell. Like a 45 year old virgin gettin a BJ.;)
    Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • Grimster74
    edited November 2003
    Options
    ROFLMAO Maurice :D... I'm glad to see there is more than 2 Sony users on this forum.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,658
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Grimster74
    ROFLMAO Maurice :D... I'm glad to see there is more than 2 Sony users on this forum.

Count me for 1 more. I calibrated mine with Avia to 85 db (I think). That's -18 on the volume. WAY to loud. It's not bad during dialog and such but once the action starts, LOOK OUT, **** flying everywhere :D
  • nico
    nico Posts: 104
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Hey don't forget me I'm also a SONY user particularly the 4ES. I watch movies between 30-33db sometimes 29db depending on my mood:D and 28-29db for music. Is this too loud or am I going deaf listening to these kind of levels? NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    RTI50, CS400I, RTI38, RT55I, INFINITY IL SUB
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Grimster- I am -22.0 on reference for center channel, so yea it definetly not abnormal. Reference level is fookin' loud, just like Ken mentioned.

Nico - Buy an SPL meter, but chances are, no way in hell you will go deaf. If you were using headphones, and playing extremely high volumes, and drunk :) ....hearing damage is certainly possible. It depends on the human, certain sustained decibels may hurt you before it hurts another individual. Chances are, high volume levels will be "uncomfortable", and you will turn it down.

Sony Club:
    Bionic Mushroom
    Grimster
    Ken
    Maurice
    Nico

Maurice - LOL! If you want to borrow my DVE, just let me know.

That goes for any of you guys, just let me know an address, and you can use it to get setup.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • nico
    edited November 2003
    Options
    tHANKS FOR THE OFFER dorokusai I might take you up on that. NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • Maurice
    Maurice Posts: 517
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the offer. I have DVE but so far I've only used for video calibration.
    Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • nico
    edited November 2003
    Options
    grimster, how do you like your 7.1 set up? Do you have your rear surrounds on stands or mounted high? your surround backs are they also on stands or mounted? When I set mine up, I can only mount the surround backs. Will it affect the sounds if they're not on the same level as the other speakers?
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • Grimster74
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Hey Nico, this may help a little. But to answer your question, I'm obsessed with my H/T. As far as my showcase goes. I've rearranged some things since I last posted my pictures but as far as the speaker layout, it stayed the same. Here is my link.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/showcase/view.php?userid=40818

If you have anymore questions just give me a yell.
  • nico
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Thanks grimster nice set up. I think I'll play around my set up see what's best for the room. NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2003
    Options
    A big 2 channel amp would get you set up ;)
  • nico
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I gotcha Dorokusai;) Did you get my email?
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2003
    Options
    No I didnt...you get mine about the goodie list?

EDIT: Yes I did, sorry...you have mail.