6th Ave order

Options
2»

Comments

• dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Thanks guys I will give the cheater plug a try first. Is there any risk to the equipment because of this?, I have things in the same surge protector (reciever, dvd, vcr,sat. reciever, tv) except the sub it has it's own in another outlet, could there be too many things in the same protector? What is a good speaker wire choice (min.gadge)? Lastly the sub cable (monster THX) has directional arrows, I noticed that I have it backwards, does that really matter?

Thanks

Dave
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Regarding directional sub cable: In theory it matters (you can read all about it at monster web site). I have hooked up several, both ways on different systems and didn't notice a difference.
  • kingtut
    kingtut Posts: 813
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I have no problem w/my system using the cheater plug. It's connected to the surge protector anyway, so it should be fine.
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Sorry about that, I should have specified my coincern as damage to the equipment with a ground loop problem.
  • kingtut
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I don't believe that the groundloop problem will have any long term affect on the system, just very annoying.
  • russell55
    russell55 Posts: 12
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Dave,

You first impressions are my lasting impressions.

Well, I have had my Denon 3803 for a couple of weeks now. I have read the manual forward and backwards. I have calibrated it 10 ways to Sunday. I have to say that I am not at all impressed with its dynamic performance. It flat out lacks punch when playing movies. Sporting events, and music. The sound just doesn’t reach out and touch you. A small example of what I mean is, while watching Football on FOX this past Sunday, the sound effects that I was accustomed to listening to with my Yamaha were gone. When the banners raced a crossed the screen or popped out at you, the sound was flat. With the Yamaha the sound rushed by or rumbled out at you. You can set the compression to any level and it makes no difference. You just flat out turn the volume way up when playing DVDs or anything for that matter. Something is just holding this AV unit back. For 110 watts something’s wrong. I wondered why the 3803 did not have a THX certification I think I now know why.

Musically, the unit has a very nice sound field, but it still lacks punch.

Very Disappointed, I now know why 6th avenue has been dumping them. I ‘m dam glad I pay $648 instead of 1200 or 1000. Stilled paid too much though. I plan to send it back, unless I find I have been doing something wrong and I can make some corrections. I like to at least get back to where I was with my 4 year old 100 watt Yamaha.

Denon: DVD 2900
    Denon: 3003
    Polk: Rti70s fronts
    Polk: Cti40 center
    Polk: Fxi30s surround
    Polk: Rti28s rears
    RS 12” 150 Powered sub
  • kingtut
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Russell, I believe that 6Ave charges a restocking fee, if you return the Denon.

A friend of mine who owns the Denon 4802 complained about the same issues and bought a 200Wx3 B&K and a 120Wx2 Parasound amps to run his five speakers. He is using the 4802 as a pre-pro for movies, but he complained about the clarity for two channel music. He has the B&W Matrix 801 front speakers, which are wonderful speakers but very pricy. My friend also ended up buying a Jeffsoundsvalue pre-pro for the two channel music listening, and this really opened up the sound stage. On some duets, closing my eyes I could picture two different artists standing on left and right sides to perform their duets. On one jazz selection, I could actually hear the musician licking his lips prior to drawing his breath to play his saxophone . This was not present on my Polk RTi70. Of course, his B&W Matrix cost about 10x my RTi70, and his Jeffsoundsvalue pre-pro cost about $1400.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Not having THX certification doesn't mean much with respect to sound quality.

The 3803 is a great AVR, with thousands of happy owners, including those who compared to Yammy and found it better.

I won't debate what you are hearing, though. The final judge is your ears. If you don't like it, you don't like it - end of discussion.

If you are 100% positive you aren't running a limiter or have some other set-up problem, you can easily sell the 3803 for what you paid instead of returning it.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited November 2003
    Options
    If you have compression on that could be your issue. Compression takes the punch out of the system so family can sleep at night while you watch a movie. If you have not already, disable compression. I demoed my system to a friend with compression on (I forgot it was on) and was trying to figure out were my bass went! The next day I tried to turn it on at night and it went off. Sure enough it was compression (or night mode, it is the same thing).

Howie
  • EnoughOfThis
    EnoughOfThis Posts: 10
    edited November 2003
    Options
    If you do end up returning your 3803, check out the HK 525 from OneCall for only $598.91. They are an authorized online HK dealer. I have been using this receiver for the past 4 months and couldn't be happier. In my opinion, my father's Denon 3802 also sounds 'flat' when compared to my HK. The 3802 is a nice receiver, but it just didn't do it for me. It has been said many times before, but I am sure you will feel the HK exceeds it's advertised rated power, and will not be left with that nagging feeling that it lacks punch.
  • pwmcon1
    pwmcon1 Posts: 29
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I also bought the 3803 from 6th ave.
    I had trouble getting the zone 2 speakers to work in my bedroom.
    I was runnign a new denon 1805 dvd/cd player and had it hooked up using coax.
    Another poster suggested that I try to hook up the RCA cables to the unit also and WOW that was it, now I can get sound out of my ZONE 2.
    the instructions say its either/or, as well as the option of optical, but I am wondering if anyone else had the problem
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Russell,You should have a P.M.