RTi70 vs RTi8

Options
COMEon
COMEon Posts: 7
edited November 2003 in Speakers
Has anyone A/B RTi70 and Rti8. I was shopping for RTi70 at Frys, but they only had open box ones for $299/each. The saleman recommended RTi8 to me with $50 more for each. Can anyone tell the difference between these two. Clearness is my first priority. My receiver is HK 525.

Thanks!
Post edited by COMEon on

Comments

• COMEon
    COMEon Posts: 7
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Comments on hometheaterspot.com

Anyone has the same experience ?

i have the rti70's with the csi40 and 4 fxi surrounds and like them very much for movies(coupled with a pioneer 912)but had an offer to upgrade them to the rti8's and a new center and surrounds.
    i listened to a selection of music only on both at future shop through an h/k 330 on friday night. there is no doubt that the rti8's that i heard(no idea of how many hours on them) sounded brighter then the 70's. much more apparent treble. however both the salesman and i thought that the 8's sounded a lot less cohesive then the 70's. with the 8's it seemed almost that we were hearing 3 seperate speakers; one for the treble , one for the mid and one for the bass. the 70's on the other hand sounded smoother and more together, like we were listening to one speaker.the 70's appeared to have more bass as well.i also thought that the 8s would be difficult to listen to for long periods of time.needless to say i prefered the 70's and will not be "up-grading".
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I A/Bed them against each other, and I thought the 8s were better. Not dramatically so mind you, but better nevertheless. I really like the tweeter in the 70s much better than the older tri-lams, but I like the new Vifa tweets even that much better than the last series.

I thought the 12s blew away either the 70s/8s or the 150s.
  • Duffman
    Duffman Posts: 51
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I auditioned the 70's before I bought my 8's. The 8's, IMO are quite bright initially but mellow out with once they' re broken in. They seem to have a clearer highs but no real bass to speak of.

With either the 70's or the 8's you'll want a decent sub to fill it out.