Heavy Rain

Options
cheddar
cheddar Posts: 2,390
edited April 2010 in Video Games
Anyone playing this one yet? While Uncharted 2 played like a 3rd person theatrical movie with a few interactive cut scenes, Heavy Rain is a dark, gritty, R-rated interactive movie. Your choices have consequences, characters can die, and violence is scripted into the game to get you to identify with the characters instead of just running around shooting everything. I found the digital models to be much more detailed with more natural movement than other motion capture titles. Especially the R-rated scenes. Seems like they scanned more than the faces of the actors and actresses and/or they had very good digital artists. Even the background people, like at the club and party, seemed to be made with attention to motion capture and detail. I hope they continue to take games in this more adult theatrical direction. But the censor police will probably step in at some point and mess it up. It's definitely not something for kids.
Post edited by cheddar on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited March 2010
    Options
    is this a film noir kinda of concept like max Payne, or something different that's just generally dark?
  • cheddar
    edited March 2010
    Options
    If I understand the term correctly, it is. It's a serial killer crime drama where the player has to make some, at times, split second gut wrenching moral choices.
  • cheddar
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Also, while it is possible to make choices that would give the game a PG rating, the more extreme scenes contain a lot of nudity for a console game. IMO, the nudity only adds to the gritty theatrical realism of the game, but some may question if it's all necessary.
  • ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Wish this game (or type of game) would be on the PC, instead of console-only.
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • cheddar
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Whatever platform it's on, it really deserves to be played on a Home Theater system. The visuals are completely cinematic and IMO are enjoyed best on a comfortable couch or recliner with a simple handheld controller.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I might have to check this one out... been bored out of my mind with the last few games I bought...
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• cheddar
    edited March 2010
    Options
    You can try it out. They've got the demo in the playstation store. Two playable 'chapters'.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Was there a game similar to this on the Xbox? I had it but can't remember the name.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2010
    Options
    cheddar wrote: »
    You can try it out. They've got the demo in the playstation store. Two playable 'chapters'.

Thanks for the heads up... I am gonna download it now :) If I like it, I will buy it for my birthday present to myself LOL :D
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• cheddar
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Well happy future birthday present whatever it is...

Just some things about the demo, it's a fairly good introduction to the controls you will have to use in the game and the game's pacing. If you dislike either, be prepared for a lot more of the same in the full game. But it only hints at the full R-rated content (violence, nudity) that is contained in the full version. This is a game about moral choices and identifying with the descent into darkness of the main character, not about bad guy body count. I really liked the change of pace from FPS games. However, I can see it may not be for everyone.
  • cheddar
    edited April 2010
    Options
    They've even started to release new 'chapters' as DLC. I think the extra storyline stars the girl, madison. Wonder if she gets naked in the new story as well...
  • Loisal
    Loisal Posts: 5
    edited April 2010
    Options
    If you're planning on skipping the bulk of this text and heading straight to the review score to decide whether or not you should play through Heavy Rain, just know this: the game starts slow. It'll take you a couple hours to get into the meat of the experience and for things to really pick up, but once it does, you'll be on the edge of your seat until the end and you won't want to put the controller down. In other words, if you stick with it, Heavy Rain will give you a ride like you rarely see in games.
    Having said that, it's also worth quickly pointing out that I'm going to keep this review completely spoiler-free, so feel free to read it without fear of anything being ruined for you (and trust me, you don't want anything ruined.
  • cheddar
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Signature Spam reported.