Center channel and surround selection-help!

Options
doccraw
doccraw Posts: 3
edited November 2003 in Speakers
Hello all,

I am a recent Polk Audio convert. I have been learning a lot about Polk from the forum. Thanks!

My orginal setup was all optimus (Pro LX8 mains, Pro 77 rears and Pro CS-5 center) A nice low cost setup. I purchased a pair of RT 15s for the living room and I was hooked! I now have RTi38s for my mains in the family room and home theater, love the sound. Now I need to replace the center channel and surrounds.

I'm an ebay fan and have to sell things to get enough cash to purchase new equipment (wife, and 2 kids= budget). So my problem is that Polk recommends the CSi30 center for my speakers. A little pricey new and I can't find one on ebay.
May be able to swing a deal on the Csi20 ( a little small I think)

I see great deals on the CS 175 and CS 200. Can anyone tell me how these would match/ work?

As for surrounds. I would like something in the Rti series, but I keep seeing some M3II on ebay at good prices and a I like the looks and specs. Can anyone tell me how these would match/work with the Rti38s?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

:cool:
Post edited by doccraw on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    CSi20 - Underachiever.
    CSi30 - Very good center channel.
    CSi40 - Excellent center channel.

Any of these will suit your needs, but I would bare minimum, get the CSi30. The CSi series matches the best with your RTi38's. The CS series has a different tweeter, and the center channel IMO is a little too important to not have it match your mains.

The FXi30 is a great surround speaker, and it can be found quite cheap. The M3II is acceptable, but still does not match. The surround is less essential to match than your front stage, but nonetheless, important. I would take baby steps and get the right stuff from the beginning.

CSi30/FXi30 is the best bang for the buck if cost is a factor.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • scornful
    scornful Posts: 272
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Doro,

How do you like the PSW-202? I was pricing some stuff out for a friend and Crutchfield has the 202 for free w/ $500 purchase of Polk speakers. I thought it might be a little under powered but free? Sounds like I need to listen to it at CC.
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
    InFocus 4805 ~100" Screen
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Scorn - I actually received the same kind of deal when I bought my RTi38/CSi30 combo....free sounded good too me. It's ok performance wise. I am going to upgrade it in the future, but it performs well enough, that it isn't a priority for me.

Free is free in my book. I tweaked it a little bit and it improved the performance a little. Spikes and a granite slab on top and bottom was most helpful. The granite could just be a concrete paver, I picked up the granite free. You can still sell these things for close to $100, so I would just get it for now.

Good luck :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • doccraw
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Hmm,

Good points, thanks for the advice. I should just do it right the first time.
  • doccraw
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Well I'm glad I waited a little. Crutchfield has the CSi30 on clearance for $149. I chatted with a sales rep and turns out there was one in scratch and dent for $127! It just arrived today and looks flawless to me. So I'm happy and it sounds great. Thanks

I would like to add some matching surrounds to the RTi38s I was considering some RTi15s I see on ebay, as well as some R10s.

Is there a difference between the two? Thanks again

:D
  • scornful
    scornful Posts: 272
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Doc

I'd look to replace the surrounds with something like Rti28's or 38's if you like point source surrounds or the Fxi 30's if you like a disperse sound. Keep in mind your room and furniture arrangement.... if you sit too close the FXi30's might be a better choice. You can get these at very good prices from Crutchfield right now. Of course weigh in the cost for your decision.
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
    InFocus 4805 ~100" Screen