Power issue with RB-1090 ? Help Please

Options
tapeshc
tapeshc Posts: 135
edited November 2003 in Speakers
There is continuous a krrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. sound coming from my speaker. Possibly power related issue.

Connections CD Player Sony 555ES -> ASL AQ2004DT -> Rotel RB-1090 -> Polk Lsi9 Speakers

Sound level increases as connections are made. Just speakers hooked on, you have to close to speaker to hear this.

Connect PreAmp, you can hear this.

With CD Player connected you cant bear this, it dominates the music.

Solutions as suggested by Rotel Dealers, I tried Monster Strip with stage 1 filteration, it didn’t help.

Tried every thing from that strip and then amplifier direct and sources from strip. Nothing changed ?

Certain lights in the house make more louder.

Should the amplifier be connected directly and it’s the reqources that are creating problem ?

If good power cord will help ?

Please help what am I doing wrong ? buy monster conditioners ? How come my receiver setup never picked up these problems in the current.
Thanks

Tapesh
Post edited by tapeshc on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    Options
    first i'd advise you to stop buying to fix the problem.

inclined to suspect a problem wth the rotel, but before jumping to that conclusion...

anything else change? circuits used? appliances?

do you still have the receiver? putting it back in would reestablish your baseline...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • tapeshc
    edited November 2003
    Options
    A little background.

I already have a separate HT setup with Denon AVR3300 + Polk RM7500. Perfect no problem.

This is just recently that I got in to setting up a new separate setup for two channel listening. So the only inputs to PreAmp are from CD Player.

Did try using Belkin surge protector, Monster Cable level 1 power strip, tried changing diff. out lets.

I live in an apartment, just in case if that helps.
    Thanks

Tapesh
  • Tour2ma
    edited November 2003
    Options
    same room? please see other questions above...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • tapeshc
    edited November 2003
    Options
    No this new, every thing else is as it used to be. Same room. HT still working without any noise.
    Thanks

Tapesh
  • Tour2ma
    edited November 2003
    Options
    i'd take the 1090 into the dealer... something's amiss...

edit: have you tried unplugging the ht rig?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I'm assuming this is an audio only system?
    Try reversing your amps ac plug in the socket; if its polarized, buy an adapter at your local hardware store that will let you reverse it. If that doesn't do it, try each components ac plug, one at a time, and check for the hum.

Might also be a flourescent fixture or major appliance on the same circuit.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    edited November 2003
    Options
    It is normal for there to be a low level sound coming from tweeters with a preamp/amp system. However, the level varies from system to system and increases, sometimes to annoying levels, when preamps and amps are mismatched. For example, I've used Yamaha, Sony ES, and Denon receivers as preamps with my Rotel RMB-1075. When hooked up to the amp, the tweeter buzz was almost inaudible with the Sony, is barely noticeable with the Denon, and was clearly audible from a distance with the Yamaha.

I'd suggest taking the RB-1090 to a Rotel dealer. Say you're interested in a Rotel preamp (RC-1070 or RC-1090) and ask the dealer to hook one up to your RB-1090. If you still hear a buzz with that combo, you'll have to get your amp fixed because there's something wrong with it.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2003
    Options
    i have rotel seperates, and can sometimes hear a buzzing, but only when i have my tv on, i isolated it down to the video wire from my dvd being to close to the back of my tv (i think its called a ground loop, but i could be wrong). given the extent of your problem, i still think you are going to have to bring the amp back to the dealer, but before you do, play with the wires behind your system, especially the ones that run close to a power source or power outlet etc.

if this does not work, try setting it up in another room, or another house. if all this playing around yields the same noise, obviously bring the amp back to the dealer and see if it makes the noise there as well. hope all turns out well, I think rotel makes great equipment and when you finally get the problem solved, i'm sure youll be happy
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,461
    edited November 2003
    Options
    ohskigod - Nice call!

tape - I had this problem once and it turned out to be that the interconnect running from my pre to the main amp was too close to the TV. Not touching but within about 5 inches. This was enough to create a buzzing sound that drove me nuts. Switched the routing of the cable and WALA, problem solved!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Before getting the amp checked out try a different pre amp. I'm sure that sound is from the ASL. All tube equipments generate a lot more noise than SS. The noise is increased when a combination of tube pre and ss amp is used due to the higher sensitivity of the ss amp's input. I get a slight buzzing/hiss sound when I hook up my ASL to the NAD amp but it's only audible when I'm very close to the speakers. With the ASL and Dyna combo, there's very little noise.

It could also be your tubes. Tubes tend to become very noisy when leaking or shorted. Also, diferent brands of tubes generate different levels of noise and microphonics.

How loud is this noise? If you can hear it only whe standing very close to the speakers, it's normal. But if you can hear it from the listening position, something is wrong.

Maurice
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Sounds like a ground loop problem. Can you plug the amp into a different circuit than the rest of the gear?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk