XBOX360 - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction - Anyone?

Options
polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
edited April 2010 in Video Games
I am on the fence, wondering if anyone has an opinion on this release.
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I have loved all of the old Splinter Cell games and I have this one on pre-order. If you've played the older ones I don't know why this one wouldn't be enjoyable. Did you play Double Agent?

UBISoft puts out great games.

Should be able to finish this one in time for Red Dead Redemption.
  • polkatese
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Over the last few years, I noticed that my preferences had shifted more to Rainbow Six, COD, type. I played DA before. Let me know how you like it Demi. Btw, what else is down the pipe in the next 6 months?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I hated Double Agent. Let me say that again... I HATE HATE HATERY HATED IT. Chaos Theory was brilliant, but the minute they put Sam Fisher in daylight situations where you weren't allowed to kill anyone, it all fell apart for me. It just wasn't Splinter Cell.

But since this is 360 exclusive and there's a demo up on the XBL Marketplace, judge for yourself. Personally, the demo alleviated ALL of my fears that it would be another crapfest like Double Agent, and my pre-order's already paid for. The new mark and execute mechanic makes you feel like a bad-****, and the game has returned to its stealth roots and then some.

Oh... and if it affects your decision... buying Splinter Cell: Conviction will give you access to the beta test of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • polkatese
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Oh... and if it affects your decision... buying Splinter Cell: Conviction will give you access to the beta test of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier.

tell us again how do you feel about Double Agent Kuntasensei.. :p

now you're talkin'. When is Future Soldier scheduled to be released?
  • kuntasensei
    edited April 2010
    Options
    polkatese wrote: »
    tell us again how do you feel about Double Agent Kuntasensei.. :p

I hated it so much, it... it... it flamed... flames... flames on the side of my face... heaving... breathing... heaving breaths... heaving :D
    now you're talkin'. When is Future Soldier scheduled to be released?

I don't think they've announced a release date, but the beta test starts this summer and you have to have Splinter Cell Conviction. They're basically doing the same thing they did with Crackdown and the Halo beta.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Nightsbane
    Nightsbane Posts: 100
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I'm going to wait on reviews, the demo was less and impressive. It was like Splinter Cell Lite, or Splinter Cell for Dummies
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Let me know how you like it Demi. Btw, what else is down the pipe in the next 6 months?

This game is a lot of fun since I like tactical shooters and gameplay in general. The P.E.C. challenges (optional) makes the game more interesting because it gives you little side things to do throughout the game that can earn you the ability to upgrade weapons though a points system. I just put a laser and reflex sight on my handgun and it makes a huge difference.

The Mark & Execute system is also nice, but I was worried in seeing the videos of the game that it was going to be a cheesy crutch. Not so much -- you can only use Mark & Execute after you've done a hand to hand kill.

The enemies taunting you when they know you're **** around with them is pretty funny.

I'm working towards the end of the 2nd mission so far and loving it. The only thing that could disappoint me is if the game is too short. No way of knowing that yet.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I saw this thread and thought Tom Clancy had a new Rainbow 6 game coming out.:( Honestly, after playing COD MW 1 and 2 ,I still have more fun going back to the Vegas 2 Rainbow 6 game.
  • kuntasensei
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I didn't even get through the second single player campaign mission last night, 'cause I had too much going on. Did spend some time in Deniable Ops though, which was a blast! Reminded me a lot of Terrorist Hunt in R6: Vegas 1&2. I was concerned that the game would be too easy based on the demo, but it's surprisingly challenging even on normal. Plus, there's nothing so satisfying as doing a "death from above" on a guy, then using Mark & Execute to clip his 3 friends. Makes you feel like a total badass!

Didn't get a chance to do any co-op though. I hear that the single player campaign is only 6-7 hours long, but with Deniable Ops and the co-op campaign, it's still worth the money.

And Polkie, there's no official announcement yet, but Ubisoft is working on a new Rainbow Six game. I expect we'll see more about it after Ghost Recon Future Soldier comes out.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Nightsbane
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I picked it up due to the pretty good reviews. Seems to have quite a few modes to it, but haven't hardly had any time to touch it yet.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Thanks for the info kuntasensel, I might have to check out this Splinter Cell. It's nice to have a lot of modes to choose from. Plus I like the games that allow 2 people to play split screen offline.
  • Nightsbane
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Just started the campaign last night. It's fantastic.
  • Nightsbane
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The co-op is also very satisfying, I'm at about 75% complete with it, and it has been varied and fun.