Dante's Inferno Xbox 360 - Go To Hell...and really mean it!

Options
KASR
KASR Posts: 450
edited April 2010 in Video Games
dantes_inferno_xbox360_cover.jpg

Game Title: Dante's Inferno
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: Visceral Games, Artificial Mind and Movement
Genre(s): third-person hack and slash, action-adventure
Players: Single Player (DLC co-op add-on)
ESRB Rating: Mature
Release Date: February 18th, 2010
Review Rating: :4.5stars:

Story
Loosely based on the first part of "Divine Comedy" by Dante Aligheri, Dante's Inferno follows the main character (Dante), a supposed hardcore Christian, through hell (literally) to reclaim the soul of his beloved (Beatrice) as well as face his own demons (again, literally) and sins - and - find some measure of redemption for his otherwise, wicked life. The setting is during the 3rd Crusade of King Richard the Lionheart during his quest to reclaim the holy land of Jerusalem. If you've read the "Divine Comedy" then you have some measure of what to expect - but it's certainly not required reading to enjoy this game. It's a one-way ticket to the nether-realm and you aren't exactly welcome so back in some grit and determination, becuz the dark ones aren't giving the keys to the kingdom willingly! We're going to Hell -so bring the popcorn! How bad could it be....right?

Graphics and Sound
I gotta say, I'm becoming a huge fan of Visceral - they match the mood graphically for whichever game you are playing and set the tone with a great sound stage. From the very get go, you pop in the disc and the log splash screen lets you know what you're in for: a total surround sound treat.
The start screen beckons and when you finally decide to tackle Dante's sins with a push of the start button, a beautiful transition is accompanied by despairing screams and agony (which hits every channel) .... oh yeaaaa....this is my kinda game!

Cut-scene animations are beautifully done and storyline animation are done with a tapestry stylization that truly makes the game its own. The rendering and level mapping is nothing short of brilliant and the developers/designed have done well in translating what "ones" hell could look like. I for one wouldn't want to go there....but I gotta save my true love, so it's into the 9-rings we go!
The level design is a pretty compelling translation of the poem - but don't my word for it - check it out for yourself!

dantes-inferno.jpg

s37121_360_11.jpg

dantes-inferno.jpg

Dantes-Inferno-22.jpg

dante-inferno-demo-psn.jpg

Sound is weaved masterfully into the game. You get your fair share of ambient noise, directionally dialog and effects and the music cues and then fades perfectly so that you aren't being distracted by it - instead being drawn deeper into the games style. Swinging Death's scythe produces some terrific highs and the thudding of hell's many demons produce some goodies for the LFE channel

Extras
As you proceed through the game and achieve certain tasks or achievements, you can unlock developer/designer artwork. The game also have quite a few downloadable content pieces that you can purchase. One DLC is free on Xbox Live. Each DLC contains an amount of "souls" used for purchasing more abilities. On March 4th, the Dark Forest DLC was released, which is the prologue level based loosely on the opening of the "Divine Comedy". This DLC contains new enemies and a series of puzzles for the player to overcome. On April 29th, 2010 - the Trials of St. Lucia will be released which has been rumored to allow co-op play. This DLC also include a game-editor - which takes the replay value to a whole new level as you share custom created maps and levels with your friends.
And of course, this is beginning of a great new franchise, one that I will gladly buy into - as the game is guaranteed a continuation.

Gameplay
Dante's Inferno is listed as an action/adventure game - but I think that's a little light. I would classify this as a horror/thriller as well as a hack n' slash third person game. The combat hot-n-heavy fast-paced combat and there is quite abit of level platforming and environment based puzzles - which is a joy (one think that Ninja Gaiden could have had more of).

Dante has two weapons: Death's Scythe and Beatrice's cross - each capable of devastating attacks and both having the ability to "level-up" to gain more destructive attacks as the game progresses. In addition to these weapons, Dante also has the ability to perform certain types of magic. The game also employs a quick time event system to one engaged to dispatch with enemies. Attack combos can be unlocked and/or upgraded using "souls" (in-game currency) and when crossing the paths with the many famous figures in history (that are mentioned in the original poem), you can enter into a mini-game that can grant the tortured souls absolution for their sins....or you can punish the moos right then and there. It's your choice. :D

Now quite a bit of flack that this game catches is when critics draw comparisons between this game and "God of War". Now, it's always easy to tear something down and the brain constantly tries to make connections/comparisons/similarities/patterns when analyzing material - but if you come into this game and enjoy/appreciate what it has to offer, then you'll be pleasantly surprised. The game does wrap up alittle too quickly when you a "10-stage challenge level". This is one part where I felt each piece of "Fraud" could have been expanded upon.
With that said, even if you say: "This game is just like God of War" - you are basically saying: "This game is just like this other awesome game!" so, that makes it awesome as well? I think it does and enjoyed every minute of it! The game has great material from which it draws it's story and as a result it has built a competent game-play mechanic.

Summary
My wife tried to play 30 minutes of this game and had to walk away becuz it scared the bejeebus outta of her. So I knew I would love it and having NEVER played God of War, I had no benchmark to taint my perception of the game. I think I'm more objective as a result, becuz I was able to enjoy the level detail, revel in the audio bliss and gnash my teeth through the horrific depictions of hell. This is definitely mature material for blood, gory, sex, religion, content - and once you come out the other end, you may suspect that things couldn't possibly end well when you go for a stroll through hell...you might be surprised. A solid investment through and through!
Enjoy....oh, and GO TO HELL! ;)

Post edited by KASR on

Comments

• Nightsbane
    Nightsbane Posts: 100
    edited April 2010
    Options
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited April 2010
    Options
    This is going to be my next purchase for the PS3. If anything, the art direction appears brutal. Thanks for the review.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You know I just realized I preordered this game but never picked it up! Man I don't have much time to play but need to pick this up.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I'm in the process of playing the game as well-Again and again and again. It's addictive--unfortunately I'm not getting much sleep at night and chores are getting neglected. :(

I love the game play and the graphics and sound effects/music. There are some annoyances such as the inability to skip some cut scenes and in some of the harder levels when you die you really have to start from way back in the level--and with having to endure the cut scenes each time it gets tiring.

I finished the game on the default Zealot difficulty (2/4) in about 11 hours (not including reloads from constantly getting killed) over 3 or 4 days, but I'm getting better each time. Yay I defeated Lucifer!!!

Once finished, the 'Infernal' level (4/4) was unlocked as well as a challenge series of levels (Gates of Hell). I don't know how many there are but I think it might be 40. I made it through to level 30. The challenge levels are tough because once you die your done. No second chances.

OK so now that I'm better at the game I decided to tackle the more difficult Hellish Level (3/4). Finshed--Took about 8 hours this time over 2 days. I still wasn't able to find all the Silver coins or Shades. Unfortunately once you go too far in the game you can't go back so the only way to ensure that you get everything is to get them the 1st time. If you miss something then you have to start over and try again.

I decided to play the Easiest level (1/4) so that I could breeze through it and just find all the coins and shades so that I could get my achievements. I paid very close attention but for some reason I still missed at least 1 coin and 1 shade. Arhhgggh. I think that took 4 or 5 hours. There are some things you just can't rush trhough in this game--some of the cut scenes can't be avoided and I really took my time looking around for those coins and shades.

Well today I said what the hay! Why not, while I'm hot. So I started tackling the Infernal level (4/4). :eek::cool:
    I'm about to the 7th circle of Hell right now---too tired--I'll have to finish another night. But hey I'm about 5 hours into it and about 85% of the way through it!! :cool: And believe it or not I found all the coins this time. I only have a couple more achievements left: absolving/damning all the Shades and getting a 666 hit combo (not sure how I'll do that one yet)

g'night

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • KASR
    KASR Posts: 450
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yea, I feel the same way about the 666 hit combo! I think it can be done on the Fraud challenges. Might be worth a look!