Back to the SDA's

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited November 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Last night I heard my SDA's for the first time in about 7 months.

When I got the LSi9's I tried them for a few days. Then I hooked up the LSi15's and played them for almost 7 months. I had become concerned because I was afraid I had grown to like the SDA sound too much and was thinking maybe the sound was skewed. You know, like when you set an EQ extremely wrong and after a while it sounds good and becomes your reference. I was wrong.

The SDA's totally blew me away... Again. There is no substitute. I ended up listening from about 6:00 to midnight. With the other speakers I was ready to give out after about an hour. The highs were so smooth, the bass was acurate and low, the soundstage wide, the midrange perfect. It was night and day. Polk NEEDS to start making these things again. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!!!

madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited November 2003
    Welcome home Chuck! :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2003
    Can I get an AMEN brotha Chuck!

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited November 2003
    Amen brotha's!

I have the SDA-SRS, the SDA-SRS 1.2, the SDA-SRS 2.3, the SDA-1C's and the SDA-CRS+

I also have the LSi-15's, the LSi9's and an LSiC, but not for long...

On a side note, while listening to the LSi's I ended up with a Sony CD 5 disc recorder. While it sounded no different than my Luxman player on the LSi's, it was a world of difference with the SDA's. If it didn't record CD's it would be gone as well.

Just want to say that although the LSi's are great for the price not to mention for multi-channel, they do not compare to the SDA's for two channel listening in my opinion. I would also say the LSi's are easier to set up and not as room dependent as well.

BTW, another evening is gone and all I did was to listen to the SDA's. That has not happened for the past 7 months. C'mon Polk, lets get some new SDA's out there. I gave the current offerings a real chance here (7 months) for 2 channel listening. I'm just saying that some of us are still looking for SDA quality, not putting down the benifits of the LSi series.

madmax

madmax

• F1nut
    edited November 2003
    Sean,

I own the 2B's (on loan to my father). You have to feed them power, 200wpc min. When I was demoing the 2B's back in '89, I did so against the KG4's and I don't think they are anything alike. The KG4's screamed at me, the Polk's sang.The only thing the KG4's had going for them was the bass and it was really too much, boomy I would say. Bottom line, I never thought the 2B's sounded tinny, but they are not as full as the bigger SDA's.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited November 2003
    I have to say, I keep looking at my SDA's....pretending they are playing really loud....SDA'n the pants off of me.....then I just wake up with my pants off. Damn speakers are evil :mad:

I always go back to SDA's....at F1's house :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • madmax
    edited November 2003
    ATC,
    I have not heard the 2B's but I know what the CRS's sound like. Actually they (the CRS's) can sound as big as the big dogs with a little less lower midbass and bass if they are in the proper room. With a sub and a smaller room you may not be able to tell the difference unless you do a direct comparison. Of course it depends on everything!
    madmax

• RuSsMaN
    edited November 2003
    I'd actually like to get a pair of the 2b's. I will take issue with the SL2000 being a tad harsh/shrill on some recordings, but that's a know issue given it's freq response curve.

I found the 2b's to be very rich, full, and had a adequate low end. You'll have to look up my review to see the gear it was paired with.

That being said, my SRS 2's simply floor me EVERY time I listen to them. The new tube pre-amp has made the soundstage even larger and more airy than it was, and the bass has ALWAYS been DEEP and full. I almost think I'm becoming spoiled by the low-end on these things.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • peckgary
    peckgary Posts: 37
    edited November 2003
    I have 2 pair of SDA 2b's and agree they sound better with more power. The more power the better. I have an adcom 5500 200 watts per channel driving the front and and adcom 545ii 100 watts per channel driving the rear. The Front SDA 2b's sound better with the bigger amp. I also have a PSW1200 subwoofer for the added bass when watching movies.

I would like to eventually like to get a large pair of SDA's but the wife will only let me spend so much money at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2003
    As we all know speakers are very personal.

I used to own Sda 2b's and I thought my newer speakers at the time(rt1000ps) blew them away.

I feel the Lsi series is light years ahead of the SDA speakers of the past.There tweeters where so damn bright.

They sound great with some recording but most they are way to bright.

All a matter of opnion

The Lsi15's are a remarkable speaker when you connect them to great gear.That goes without saying.Like Max said about the EQ....I feel thats most people.Most people are not used to hearing things flat or natural.Colored or to the extreme is what most look for.Still it's your/our hobby and we shall all hear as we please.....

Now I need to go find a damn sub.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2003
    Hmmmmm.....let's see, the SL3000 tweeter is dead flat from one end to the other, these monsters pump out bass down to either 12Hz (2.3TL) or 10Hz (1.2TL) and at 25Hz are cleaner than most amps. You can't say that about the LSi's, so which ones are light years ahead???

I don't think 2B's on a receiver really show off the SDA line, but as you say, "As we all know speakers are very personal".

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    edited November 2003
    The brightness he (Dan) was referring to, is probably the noted SL2000 'hump' at 12-13K. Granted, he probably shouldn't have lumped the entire 'series' into the statement, but I'm willing to bet he meant only his 2b's.

They each have their strengths and weaknesses, SDA has a better total score in my book, LSi does for others. Fact is, they are both fine speakers.

Jesse, the more people buy the LSi, the less are fighting us for SDA...works for me. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
  • F1nut
    edited November 2003
    Duly noted Russ. :)

President of Club Polk

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2003
    I'm really happy with the way my SDA-2b's sound, and I am equally thrilled with my Lsi's. Just like all things audio, beauty is in the ear of the listener.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mantis
    edited November 2003
    F1nut,
    Hmmmmm.....let's see, the SL3000 tweeter is dead flat from one end to the other, these monsters pump out bass down to either 12Hz (2.3TL) or 10Hz (1.2TL) and at 25Hz are cleaner than most amps. You can't say that about the LSi's, so which ones are light years ahead???
    Hello I ran the SDA 2b's off a B&K st140 amp.I used a Denon avr3801 and before that a Pioneer Elite vsx26tx as a preamp to do so.In my opnion I felt the rt1000ps where a better sounding speaker with more detail and clearer mid range.Both speakers where bright but the SDA's where harsher..if thats a word...but get my meaning you will.I gave my SDA's to my uncle and now they sit in his closet as he now owns my rt1000p's and also feels that they are a better sounding speaker.Like it or not.

So don't get offended when my personal tastes for SDA is lesser then RT and now Lsi...They all where my speakers and I feel the way I do.I will say that the SDA's are a nice sounding speaker but I feel you can do better.I did twice.

In my opnion the Lsi 15's are the very best sounding speaker Polk ever designed that I have had the pleasure to listen to or own.I have heard almost every single model.I don't own them to be cool or in.I own them because I feel they are the best for me right now.Down the road I'm sure I will show them the curb.But not today.

If your feeling don't line up with mine...thats fine F1 but don't come out hard and not expect a reaction from me.I'll take it lightly here but come at me and I will convert into old mantis and unleash furious anger apon you.

I'm into what I'm into and thats that.

Liking Lsi and rt over SDA Mantis
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited November 2003
    Dan,

Come out hard? Are you joking?

I presented facts from Polk's own specs and a opinion. No personal attack.

You presented an opinion, no facts and a personal attack. Who is the one that got offended??? Sure wasn't me. :rolleyes:

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    edited November 2003
    Furious anger?

Here we go again.....
  • mantis
    edited November 2003
    I just got done playing Mechaasult online on Xbox.Thats where all that came from..caught up in the moment if you will.

Your opnion my opnion..........

Here we go again????
    Dan
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited November 2003
    Mantis, now this would be a personal attack:
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited November 2003
    I would say that the LSi's is not in my Polk Collection:D and I never thought about getting them...

Har
  • mantis
    edited November 2003
    dorokusai,

LOL thats funny.

SRT over the LSI's????not here
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited November 2003
    Dan,

A little Zen for you........Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know.

Have a nice day,
    Jesse

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2003
    sounds like someone is reaching into that big bag........

Jesse,

Go easy or the mantis-san will fill your email box full of obscenity laced tripe. Man, I wish I had one of those emails to post, the entertainment value was astronomical....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2003
    Here is one of the emails that Dan sent me while I was overseas.....

*****edited out per chuck's request********

but it was still pretty funny.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • madmax
    edited November 2003
    All funny stuff...
    Great cooperation!
    madmax