question about seperates

Options
dcorrea
dcorrea Posts: 80
edited November 2003 in Electronics
Ok,
being the complete noob that I am, I was doing research on the seperates. I came across the Sunfire site and ran into their pre-amp, reciever and amp. Now i pretty much gathered that I can hook the amp up to my existing AVR in order to drive more power to my speakers, but what exactly does the pre-amp do? Is the sunfire receiver nothing more than a high end AVR?
If I was to build a HT with seperates, what exactly would I need to purchase? Sorry for all the questions, but I am still learning.
Thanks in advance.
HK AVR 525
Polk RTi-100 Fronts
Polk RTi-38 Rears
Polk CSi-40 Center
Polk FXi-30 (have nowhere to put them just yet)
Post edited by dcorrea on

Comments

• howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited November 2003
    Options
    The only thing an amplifier does is take an input (CD audio from the pre/pro) and amplify it (make it louder). So the preamp does everything else. It decodes DTS, Dolby Digital, Pro Logic, switches the video and audio inputs. And so on. Its basically the controller of the system.

And Sunfire does have an AVR but they also sell amplifiers and pre/pros too.

So a receiver is the same as having a pre/pro and and amplifier. The only difference would be higher quality with the pre/pro. Now there may be some other things, like not all pre/pros have an AM/FM tuner ( I think) but basically a receiver has to cram both the pre/pro functions and the amplifier part into one box so they have to cut corners. With seperates you have two boxes and don't need to cut corners which is why seperates are usually better than a single receiver.

Just a note, pre/pro stands for preamplifier and processor (I think)

So you can either get a receiver, speakers, DVD player and TV or get a pre/pro, amplifier, speakers, DVD player and TV (don't forget yoru TiVo!)

Hope that helps

Howie
  • dcorrea
    edited November 2003
    Options
    thanks for clearing that up. I think I was mainly confused by the fact that sunfire had an AVR and I thought they only did seperates. That made me think that I would need the pre/pro, receiver and amp for a seperates system. Thanks alot.
    HK AVR 525
    Polk RTi-100 Fronts
    Polk RTi-38 Rears
    Polk CSi-40 Center
  • Phil Dawson
    Phil Dawson Posts: 288
    edited November 2003
    Options
    The preamp increases gain (makes it louder), in the signal sent to the amplifier, everything else is processing.
    Phil
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Good explanations above. And yes, pre/pro is short fro Pre-amp / Processor. One of the central functions of a pre-amp not mentioned is source selection.

The things that tend to make separates theoretically better include separate power supplies and elimination of amp generated interference in the relatively low voltage pre section.

An AVR design can overcome these issues, but as they do, the AVR price approaches that of separates.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Hey dcorrea,

welcolme to the forum, just to add a note the sunfire ultimate receiver vs the sunfire pre/pro, power amp combo only real difference is the lack of a tuner with the latter. I'd be happy with either. Things to consider are budget, space, how you intend to use the system, and how much power you want/ need, can't go wrong either way. Let us know what you decide. Good Luck
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • dcorrea
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Well as my wife would put it I am never satisified. Although I absolutely LOVE my setup now, I am always looking forward to the next upgrade. I just put my setup together over the last 6 months so seperates are still a ways away but it never hurts to plan ahead.
    HK AVR 525
    Polk RTi-100 Fronts
    Polk RTi-38 Rears
    Polk CSi-40 Center