New Non "HDTV" question.

Options
scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
edited November 2003 in Electronics
I recently bought a 32" Philips with component inputs. Many of the new non "HDTV's" are supporting component input. The picture quality is jaw dropping.
Here is the question:
Do any of you know if these tv's support Progressive/Interlaced scan from a DVD player????? It has plenty of resolution.
Let me know - i'm going to try it out this weekend and see what happens. It so then the PQ should be amazing.
Post edited by scottvamp on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Scott...I believe the answer is no. The progressive scan/interlaced will not do anything with this TV...you will need to set your DVD to non-interlaced. I too just bought a new flatscreen non HDTV Philips TV. It has component connections like yours and you can use them but as I understand you will not get the noticable difference that you would get with the progressive signal (still better..just not a whole lot). I've considered getting the component cables but based on what I've read over at HTF and other forums I will probably just go with a good quality S-video cable. I would be interested to hear what you discover if you go component...and yes the PQ is very good!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Thanks Shack - I am using the component but have not done a comparision with S video.
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Yeah Shack is right. Its got plenty of resolution for interlaced but not progressive. The component video input on non-digital TV's just enhance brightness and color separation.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Is there a good read on interlaced vs. progressive scan technology?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD