How would you spend the money.....?

Options
shack
shack Posts: 11,154
edited November 2003 in Speakers
Just a hypothetical question.... let's say dear old Aunt Emma got run over by a dump truck and when they read her will there was your name with a $4,000 bequest. She knew you loved music and the only catch was that you had to spend the money on a NEW PAIR of speakers (On sale...discount...whatever...just has to be NEW). What would you buy?

Seriously. What is out there in the $3,000 to $4,000 per pair range that you have heard and are impressed with. I've heard a couple that I like. I know the LSi15 are quite a bit less...but will another $1,500 - $2,500 get something significantly better IYO. Ignore amplification...this is simply a probe to see what folks think is out there worth listening too.
"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
Post edited by shack on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2003
    Options
    LSi25:) So far the LSi9 is the best speakers I've heard. I know it's less than $4K but I can't think of anything else right now.

Maurice
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited November 2003
    Options
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I would buy a pair of Radio Shack Optimus speakers, spend the rest on cheap Colt 45 malt, a sleeping bag and become a bum.

I would stumble around, drag my speakers by their wires, and drink my beer.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • organ
    edited November 2003
    Options
    OK..............:confused:

Maurice
  • BIGECASTILLO
    BIGECASTILLO Posts: 38
    edited November 2003
    Options
    From your comment Organ the LSi9s are the best mains out of the LSi series just wandered im gonna buy some LSi series next year. Was wondering what was the best mains they made.Thanks for the tip.Does a lot of people agree with the LSi9s.
    TV WS 65809 MITSUBISHI HDTV REC ONKYO TX-SR800 DVD SR-5700 TOSHIBHA MAIN RTi70s CENTER CSi40 REAR FXi50s BACK REAR FXi30s SUB VELODYNE CHT15
  • scornful
    scornful Posts: 272
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    I would buy a pair of Radio Shack Optimus speakers, spend the rest on cheap Colt 45 malt, a sleeping bag and become a bum.

rofl... what about your change?
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
    InFocus 4805 ~100" Screen
  • organ
    edited November 2003
    Options
    BigC,
    Actually, I meant the LSi9 are the best mains I've heard so far. I still haven't heard the 7, 15 or 25.

The best mains they made would probably be the SRT mains but their top of the line speakers now is the LSi. They all should sound similar except for the bass. So the best mains now would be the LSi. Try to demo all 3 models and pick the one that sounds best to you.

Maurice
  • BIGECASTILLO
    BIGECASTILLO Posts: 38
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Thanks ORGAN i like my system now took 11 months of overtime to get . But i wanna upgrade to the LSi series ive heard so many great things about this line.Anybody that has them im sure there lucky.
    TV WS 65809 MITSUBISHI HDTV REC ONKYO TX-SR800 DVD SR-5700 TOSHIBHA MAIN RTi70s CENTER CSi40 REAR FXi50s BACK REAR FXi30s SUB VELODYNE CHT15
  • organ
    edited November 2003
    Options
    You're welcome. I'm sure you're going to enjoy the LSi. Just give them some good clean power and they'll take your mind on a great journey.

Maurice
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited November 2003
    Options
    For new speakers, Sonus Faber's (@3500.00) are significantly better speakers than the LSi's. Now, if it were my money, I'd get one of the big SDA's (used 2.3TL/1.2TL), hands down. Come to think about it, I already own some......:p
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• NomortaL
    NomortaL Posts: 8
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I would get B&W's Nautilus 803's, I have sat for hours listening to music infront of a pair of these and they sounded like they filled the room in a very complete way.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai

No Doro, he wants to know what you would do next time. :D

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • paymontana
    paymontana Posts: 234
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I would buy 10 pair of lsi 9's and turn my shack into one big speaker box. I don't need to look beyond my 9's. The only thing I love more than my 9's is my family. If i could only rig this pc in my home theatre and lock up my family there also. I would never leave.
    "It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ****."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Sonus Faber Grand Piano's or whatever JM Lab / Tannoy / VMPS / or Vandersteen falls in that range.

Well, that and some Colt 45 as mentioned above.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited November 2003
    Options
    A pair of Magnepan 3.6s in Light Cherry with the black grilles.
    Aunt Emma would love these girls!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    No Doro, he wants to know what you would do next time. :D

madmax

Oh well nevermind then.... :)

Sonus Faber Grand Piano's would be my flavor of the month choice.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited November 2003
    Options
    SRS SRT if you could find a set at that price.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Agreed with Russ and doro, SFGP is the one!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.