More Upgrade Questions

Options
sully5604
sully5604 Posts: 32
edited November 2003 in Speakers
I'm starting to rethink my upgrade. I still plan on upgrading my RTi70's and CSI 40 to the new RTi and CSi Series. I thought I wanted to move to RTi10's or even RTi12's, but now I'm starting to sway.

My latest thought is to just upgrade to the RTi8's and then buy a better Sub. Right now I have a PSW404 which just isn't doing it for me. It is okay with music, but doesn't provide the punch for HT.

What do you think? Upgrade the mains....leave the Sub

or

Do a minimal upgrade (got the the RTi8's) and get something like an SVS 20-39 PCi or PC+?

I've got about a grand for this upgrade...I want to spend it wisely as it will likely be my last for a long while.

Thanks all...
HT System
Mains: RTi70 bi-wired
Center: CSi40 bi-wired
Surround: FXi50
SVS 20-39PC+
Denon 3803
Denon 2200

2 Channel system
LSi15
Adcom GFP 565(Pre)
Adcom 5400
Post edited by sully5604 on

Comments

• Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited October 2003
    Options
    give us your music to movies ratio or percentage
  • KeithV
    KeithV Posts: 107
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Why do you want to "upgrade" your 70s?

Is there something wrong with them? Do they not sound good? Did the 8s, 10s, or 12s just totally blow you away?

One thing that I hate about warranties on speakers is that after a few years, they don't bother to repair, they just replace. Which means you loose what you loved and got used to, and get something you never wanted in return.

Edit: Sorry I've got a thing aginst the new RTis, and I worship the 70s.
  • sully5604
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I use my system for 70% music and 30% movies.

Music tastes vary tremendously...

From Sigur Ros and Moby to U2 to Pink Floyd to NIN

There is nothing wrong with my 70's. I have been enjoying them from day one. I think I just have upgrade-itis. Plus I'm coming up on a year with my system. So I need to figure out if I'm going to upgrade, or lose the trade up opportunity.

I haven't even got a chance to listen to the new Series yet. I went to CC tonight, but they only had RTi6's and a CSi3. To top it off nothing was hooked up and no one seemed to be too concerned about helping me.

What don't you like about the new Series?
    HT System
    SVS 20-39PC+
    Denon 3803
    Denon 2200

2 Channel system
    LSi15
    Adcom GFP 565(Pre)
    Adcom 5400
  • KeithV
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by sully5604
    I use my system for 70% music and 30% movies.

Music tastes vary tremendously...

From Sigur Ros and Moby to U2 to Pink Floyd to NIN

There is nothing wrong with my 70's. I have been enjoying them from day one. I think I just have upgrade-itis. Plus I'm coming up on a year with my system. So I need to figure out if I'm going to upgrade, or lose the trade up opportunity.

I haven't even got a chance to listen to the new Series yet. I went to CC tonight, but they only had RTi6's and a CSi3. To top it off nothing was hooked up and no one seemed to be too concerned about helping me.

What don't you like about the new Series?

I don't like the design or quality of the new series. Also, I doubt you'll ever see 10s or higher at CC, you should be able to find the 8s however. I work for CC, so I've had a lot of exposure to Polk speakers, and I just am not a big fan of the new ones. I think the 8s aren't that great of a replacement for the 70s. To me they are a little bright. However, thats just my opinion. I think you should try to listen to the 8s first, but in all honesty I'd stick with your 70s. I love mine :)
  • sully5604
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the input Keith.

I definitely plan on listening first. I was disappointed tonight when I couldn't listen to any of the new speakers. Not sure what was wrong with their system. The RTi6's and CSi3 looked pretty cool....but sound is what matters.

That would be a shame if CC didn't carry the 10's or 12's. The store I went to sold the 100's and the 150's.

I'm not interested in getting a 'bright' speaker. When I hear that I think Infinity.

Thanks again.
    HT System
    SVS 20-39PC+
    Denon 3803
    Denon 2200

2 Channel system
    LSi15
    Adcom GFP 565(Pre)
    Adcom 5400
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2003
    Options
    How about trying to reposition the 404 so that you get a better bass response. Maybe that's all that's needed.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • sully5604
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Frank.

First of all...awesome system you have. I just checked out your pics. Very cool. If I was able to start over... I would have gone with the LSi's.

I think part of the problem is that my HT was moved to my basement. So now I'm dealing with a larger room with a cement floor (with carpet). The 404 sounded great in a smaller room with a wood-based floor. It just doesn't seem to have the gusto to overcome the bigger room and rock-hard floor.

You've got a killer Sub...that must shake your walls.
    HT System
    SVS 20-39PC+
    Denon 3803
    Denon 2200

2 Channel system
    LSi15
    Adcom GFP 565(Pre)
    Adcom 5400
  • Ceruleance
    edited October 2003
    Options
    If you are 70 % music I would really recommend audtioning the 3 top tier speakers and choosing the one you like the best. If you were mostly HT I would think the smaller towers and the sub would be your best bet, but a good pair of mains with a good amplifier will get you 90% there as far as music is concerned.

I dont work for CC or anything, but I really can't imagine them not having the entire new RTi line up through the 12's, I mean they had the 150's right?
  • KeithV
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the input Keith.

I definitely plan on listening first. I was disappointed tonight when I couldn't listen to any of the new speakers. Not sure what was wrong with their system. The RTi6's and CSi3 looked pretty cool....but sound is what matters.

That would be a shame if CC didn't carry the 10's or 12's. The store I went to sold the 100's and the 150's.

I'm not interested in getting a 'bright' speaker. When I hear that I think Infinity.

Thanks again.

I'm pretty sure we've decided to stop carrying such high end speakers. the 12s were never in our system, and the 10s we're discontinued after just a few weeks.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Sully,
    Thanks for the compliments! Try putting your sub in your listening position and play some bass heavy music. Walk around the room untill you find the spot where the base sounds the best and put your sub right there. It might help quite a bit. You could also try corner loading the sub, try placing the sub in a corner where the longest unbroken wall ends. Face the driver at a a 45 deg. angle toward the long wall.

Yes you can get a better sub than the 404, but if you experiment a little, the 404 might just surprise you.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Larger room, concrete floor = suck the life from the 404. I bet the bass is cleaner sounding on concrete, though.

My $0.02. Buy a PB2-ISD for $900 plus shipping and keep your 70's. Music and movies will never be the same.

The consistent message I am hearing is that the sub lacks oomph in the larger room with the concrete floor. I don't doubt that for a second. When you lack floor vibes, the only thing the sub can move is the air itself. It takes a lot of sub to waffle your pants and move the couch on a concrete floor.

Upgrading to the 10's or 12's would be a huge mistake, IMHO. Too power hungry and you will be spending $$$ on an external amp and regretting your decision. The sub has its own 600 watt amp - no worries about power there.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I concur with DS.

Doc, in your opinion, is the model you have worth the extra $300 or so? In other words, if the pb2 isd had been out when you bought your, would you have went that route instead?
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Have you upgraded your cables? They can breath new life into a system. Rather than spending money on new speakers, you may want to consider your cables. It can be cheaper and yeild better results.

I'd listen to Doc.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by bigsexy1
    Doc, in your opinion, is the model you have worth the extra $300 or so? In other words, if the pb2 isd had been out when you bought your, would you have went that route instead?

Yes, it is worth it to me. I push my sub very hard on HT and I want the extra headroom and airflow the Plus offers. I might even upgrade to the PB2-Ultra someday, just because I lust after those TV-12 drivers.

But, sully says he is 70% music, which places a much lower demand on the sub (in terms of output and power handling and air flow) than HT does. So I recommended the ISD for him.

Even so, the ISD is more sub than a single PC+ for example and is no slouch on HT as a few new owners here will attest.

The ISD only lags behind the Plus by about 2-3 dB in max output headroom.

Doc

SVS
  • sully5604
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful input.

I do primarily use the system for music, however, when it comes to movies I want the full effect. I'd rather spend more now than wish I did later. For instance...looking back I wish I would have bought the LSi series, but now I can't reinvest that money.

Help complete the picture, here is what I currently have:

RTi70's bi-wired
    CSi40 bi-wired
    FXi50's
    PSW404

Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD - RV30

I do plan on a new DVD player soon. That would be outside of my $1k budget (give or take) for my speakers.
    HT System
    SVS 20-39PC+
    Denon 3803
    Denon 2200

2 Channel system
    LSi15
    Adcom GFP 565(Pre)
    Adcom 5400
  • Ceruleance
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You have a 7 channel receiver with only 5 speakers, is it possible on the 3803 to assign amp channels so you can biamp the 70's? You might like them more if you were sending them more power, and that will give you money to get the PB2+ (extra cash over 1k would be covered by sale of 404)
  • sully5604
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I just ordered an SVS 20-39 PC+. Yep...went with the cylinder. It will 'fit' in my room better. I'm anxious to receive it. Hopefully I get it by the weekend...that may be wishful thinking.

I'll let you know how it made a difference.
    HT System
    SVS 20-39PC+
    Denon 3803
    Denon 2200

2 Channel system
    LSi15
    Adcom GFP 565(Pre)
    Adcom 5400
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I just ordered an SVS 20-39 PC+. I'll let you know how it made a difference.

Conrats on the sub!! You'll be pleased with the upgrade for sure. I feel the sub is a good place in upgrade sould start. You may see that new speakers may not have been what you needed in the first place IMO.

Congrats again

Dave
  • Dr. Spec
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I'll let you know how it made a difference.

Like all others upgrading to SVS, you will be thrilled with the depth, accuracy, power, and low distortion.

10 minutes after hearing a 20-39PC+, you will find a spot in the closet for the 404 until you can sell it on e-Bay.

I owned a 20-39PC+ for over a year and absolutely loved it. It trolls deeper than sin, and I never found its limits in my room. It's a GREAT subwoofer.

Remember to set all speaks to small, set the AVR crossover to 80 Hz, set the SVS filter switch to Disable, and calibrate all your speakers and the subwoofer.

Don't run the sub overly hot - the SVS doesn't need it to impress. And run it flat for music with the 3803 Personal Memeory Plus function, which can remember different sub settings for each input/DSP mode.

Doc

SVS
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dave shepard
    You may see that new speakers may not have been what you needed in the first place IMO.

sully,

I'm betting Dave is right and you'll agree after you fire up your PC+. This sub literally made a WORLD of sound difference in my setup. Congrats!
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    10 minutes after hearing a 20-39PC+, you will find a spot in the closet for the 404 until you can sell it on e-Bay.

...took me about 1 minute, Doc! :)
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • sully5604
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Doc,

Thanks for the setup advice. I've got everything set to small, I believe the crossover is set at 80 Hz (but I'll double check.) Now the 'flat' part and the Personal Memory Plus part and calibration I'm going to have to figure out.

I'm assuming I need an SPL meter now? Calibration is something I've not done in the past.

Now comes the painful part... waiting for it to arrive!!! Is there a hurry up button on the SVS web page? :D

thanks again!
    HT System
    SVS 20-39PC+
    Denon 3803
    Denon 2200

2 Channel system
    LSi15
    Adcom GFP 565(Pre)
    Adcom 5400