Anybody using horns?

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited November 2003 in Speakers
I know gidrah owns a pair of large horns but I'm looking at the smaller bookshelfs from Klipsch (Reference line). I always hear a lot of hype about horns with tubes and I'm thinking about giving them a try. I'm not planning to spend a lot, just the lower level bookshelfs in Klipsch's Reference line. I'm 110% satisfied with my LSi9. I want to try horns because I've never heard them before. Something inside of me is telling me to try them out. I want to hear this "effortless, dynamic, live" sound people talk about.

If you've heard the Klipsch reference speakers I'd like to know what you think. Did you still get a good soundstage? What was the dynamics like?

Thanks

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2003
    Options
    VERY dynamic speakers, very detailed and airy (esp on tubes).

I wasn't used to the 'horn' sound at first, but it's grown on me in the past couple of years (when done right).

Definatley stick to the Ref line, to get the metal dome - the lower (synergy?) line is simply a horn-loaded mylar tweet and I can't find ANYTHING redeeming about the sound.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I just got off the phone with a Klipsch dealer and he told me that the RB-15 are $499, RB-25 $650 and RB-35 $999. The prices are in CDN$ and I'm sure they'll go lower than retail. So I'm looking at those models at the moment. Opinion?

Maurice
  • organ
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Thanks Russ. I'm going to demo the 15 and 25's. If I like what I hear, I'll probably get the 25's. If I really like them I'm saving up for the 35's. Can't wait to hear their dynamics. Do you think the smaller bookshelfs like the 15 and 25 have good dynamics?

Maurice
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Are you sold on getting a shelf speaker? What are they asking for the RF15?

I spent some quality time with them a couple weeks ago, and was VERY impressed at the performance and the price for a Ref series floorstander.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    edited November 2003
    Options
    It's going to be tough to get floorstanders because I'm not even going to tell my parents I'm getting a pair of bookshelfs:D. My friend is going to give me a ride to the store because I know my dad would cut my throat if I ask him.

I'll have to take a look at the size of the RF-15 first. I'm sure they're smaller than my 800i because they use two 5.25" woofs. If I purchase them, I'll have to be prepared to get in big **** by my parents when I bring them home. However, if the price is right and they look good I'll probably get them. I'm sure they're under $1000CDN. I'll have to find a place to hide the 800i and move the LSi9 to the rear if I get towers.

What source, pre and amp were they hooked up to when you heard them? How did they sound compared to the LSi9?

Another thing I'm really worried about is the amount of noise from my gear. I knokw the bookshelfs have lower eff than the towers. Even with the LSi9, when I put my ears up to the speakers, I can hear some hissing and buzzing sound which is normal for tubes. I'm just afraid that the high eff of the Klipsch will play them too loud.

Maurice

*edit* I just saw them on the Klipsch site and they are small for towers. Probably smaller than the RT600 and efficiency is the same as the RB-25 which is 96db/w/m. I'll have to take a look at them.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I'm gonna have to suggest you look into rear loaded single driver horns. If you have some tools, wood, skills, etc. you can make some great sounding speakers. Great dynamics and imaging that will make you giggle.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Good call Mark - Some Voight Pipes perhaps?

I've seen em done in straight plywood with the 8" Pioneer FR driver (38-18000Hz, 96db 1w-1m, $25/each).

I WISH I could cut a straight line.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2003
    Options
    That's what Liquid Nails and spray paint are for.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    ...the 8" Pioneer FR driver (38-18000Hz, 96db 1w-1m, $25/each). ...Cheers,
    Russ

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=15516740&St=6284&St2=38022870&St3=-85438909&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=7458&DID=7

??
  • organ
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I'd love to build my own speakers but I have no woodworking skills:(.

Anyways, I was so excited I had to tell my mom about it and for some reason she's cool with it. She flipped when I told her I was going to buy a pair of Polk S4 from a member here but didn't care about the Klipsch. Weird.... I even told her I was getting floorstanders and she didn't mind YEAH!!!!!:D. She just said "your dad is going to kill you". Oh man, I'm so juiced up right now. I'm going to look around for the best price and I should have a par of RF-15 by mid December. A Christmas present for myself:). Thanks again guys.

Maurice