Psw202 VS MTX SW1

Options
LiquidSound
LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
edited November 2003 in Speakers
Circuit City has the MTX sub for 149 on the website. I got my 202 for 189. If I exchange them I'll get the difference in store credit. Yes I want the credit but I don't want to take a step down in quality. Does anyone have experience with this sub? I didn't have enough time to wait on the CC help today to show me how to switch between the two. That sucked, but the new polks look great and sound very crisp. They made the trip worthwhile.
Two Channel Main
Receiver - VSX-54TX
Mains - Csi40's
Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
Post edited by LiquidSound on

Comments

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited October 2003
    Options
    MTX is one of those but-rapingly loud kindof subs...boom boom boom boom boom....whats this? you want to play lotr? hahaha...come on turn on that "all da hits all da time" station that plays nothing but midbass laden mainstream (c)rap.

It feels cheaply built. It's light, with a cheap box. The amp gets very hot even at low volumes. Not your normal hot, but almost uncomfortable to touch even at regular tv volume.

It doesn't blend nicely. It has tons of resonances because of the cheap cabinet, and what feels like a very cheap woofer and a very weak amp doesn't help.

---

But thats not to say the PSW202 doesn't suffer from the same problems. It takes a lot of shortcuts to make that $200 price point. Thing is, it just has that feel of quality instead of a fisher price "boom" box. It has a heavier, yet smaller (better constructed) box. It won't be able to reach the same SPL as the MTX, but it will sound a lot better before it gets to that point.

I guess what I'm trying to say is - it depends. If you listen to alot of hip hop or something like that and just want the loudest you can get, then go for the MTX. If you want almost as loud, almost as deep, but better SQ, go for the 202.
  • rs159
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Liquid, got your PM...read up.
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hmm, guess I won't be doing the trade down then. Kinda sucks, I want the store credit to get the new Primus album/dvd..

"whats this? you want to play lotr? hahaha...come on turn on that "all da hits all da time" station that plays nothing but midbass laden mainstream (c)rap."

So it's the Sid of subwoofers? :D;)
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • rs159
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Nah, Trey's wised up lately.

I think it's Airplay your talking about ;)
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited October 2003
    Options
    funny how im criticized from someone who has no HT....hmmm lol:p
  • rs159
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Don't go changing your tampon over this...

In case you haven't noticed I've gone through hell with this house, audio-wise, for a relatively long time (since at least last winter) Eventually I just gave up and put some of the cheaper gear in various parts of the house for non critical applications. I am about sick of it actually, and will probably reassemble a system in the basement this weekend. Even with its defficiencies, it's better than nothing.

BTW - moving sometime in early-mid March. Hopefully the audio gods will smile down upon me...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,080
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hey im the one with the DVD player on top of my right main so the cable reaches the receiver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!

Must say I get twice the bass in movies now with the speaker wire connect than the lfe......amazing.....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • rs159
    edited November 2003
    Options
    You know - I've seen the inside of the 202, and just tonight I got bored and removed the driver from the MTX, and it's just pathetic. Build quality is nowhere to be found. No bracing, no polyfill, $8 driver, just sad. It smells like half burnt amps, cheap particle board, and ****. I would go on but I'm tired and I think you get the point.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Keep the PSW202. MTX is for homeless people.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • rs159
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Keep the PSW202. MTX is for homeless people.

Actually, with driver off, it would make a good catbed... :lol:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    RS - LOL, or even a planter for some nice vegetation.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.