Surround balanced placement?

Options
mknutt
mknutt Posts: 61
edited October 2003 in Speakers
Wondering how critical it is to have the rear surrounds balanced (centered) on the front soundstage or is it ok to offset them a bit? In other words, the centerpoint between the surrounds would not be in line with the centerpoint between mains (where the center channel is).
Post edited by mknutt on

Comments

• Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited October 2003
    Options
    your receiver should be able to adjust either the distance setting or the loudness of each surround speaker so that they balance better. Set them up off center and see if you can use your receiver to balance it out. If you are satisfied with the performance then no problems, I generally try to keep my surrounds equally placed however
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2003
    Options
    My surrounds are way off balance, but used RadioShack's SPL meter and the receiver's test tones to balance them out.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."