The Demo CD...you know who you are!

Options
Frank Z
Frank Z Posts: 5,860
edited October 2003 in Speakers
I told the "Usual Suspects" that I'd start another thread for them to post their findings on the Demo CD I sent them. So here it is!

This is the brief note that I sent with each CD, it kinda explains the reason for a little Lsi-15 comparo! Soory if anyone feels leftout, but my experiment was limited to what I own at the present time.

Here’s the deal. I would like your honest opinion about the capabilities of your Lsi-15’s to faithfully reproduce the enclosed CD without a subwoofer. As I stated in my PM, Jerry Rausch gave this CD to me some time ago, and I have no idea who the various artist are. I have used this demo on numerous occasions and have a lot of people comment on the quality of the sound as well as my 15’s ability to reproduce the lower frequencies without my sub’s assistance.

Some of the tracks do not contain a great deal of bass, but those that do are very impressive. Track #1 is nothing more than a Triangle being struck and is very clear. Track #2 is a Bass drum being thumped a few times, be careful with your volume on this one. The rest are….. well I’ll let that be a surprise!

Whether you agree or disagree really doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things. Just enjoy it!

Thanks for being part of my little experiment. Send me a PM after you’ve had a chance to listen and maybe I’ll start another thread on this subject.

FYI , So far the confirmed test subjects are Fireshoes, Polkatese, Pjdami, Phuz &
ATCVenom , and yes I even extended to the offer to one other member although he has not responded as of 9-24-03.

So have at it fellas...lets hear your opinions, findings, or thoughts concerning tracks 1-16!
9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
Post edited by Frank Z on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited September 2003
    Options
    since I am not really in a place to do critical review tonight, I'll save it for tomorrow. But, one thing I want to comment, that demo cd is one hell of a recording! I've been using it back and forth between the 9 and 15, and enjoy it very much! thanks again, Frank!

Now, Track #3, I swear it sounded as it came from H Ford's "Blade Runner" or is it? may need to take out my old dusty laser disc to answer this question, but may be you can confirm it for me.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Polkatese,
    You're welcome! Enjoy!!

Wish I could help, but I really don't know who the artists are. Track 3 does make me want to go outside and tell the neighbors dog to shut the hell up though! Have you heard it in the background?

I think one of the tracks (#12) is by Robbie Robertson, but I'm not certain.
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Sean,
    No sweat, post when you can. Thanks for offer, but I think I've already got it. Have you considered borrowing a receiver from work to power your 15's for awhile?;)
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Come on fellas, lets hear it.

Phuz, Pjdami, I know you got it.

Fireshoes, did the CD ever make it to your mailbox?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hey Frank, on a side note - thought you might enjoy this quote....

It's from ATC right after he got the 9's (and right before he blew them up) and a KLH 15" sub he was very fond of.

"This (KLH sub) is not meant to blend with the 9's. The 9's provide me with more then enough bass for most of the music I constantly listen to. The KLH is just there for hip hop and other heavy bass tracks -when Im in the mood to crank some volume...."

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I thought it was a pair of KLH towers that he bought that he was digging.....hell, **** been through more gear than a person can keep up with.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Yeah, I remember that one. He went on his $300 KLH shopping spree, only to be talked out of it once he posted.

My fav quote there was:

"I have extreme high standards for quality, and low end -used- B&W, Polk, Infinity just dont cut it for me. If I have expectations of decent sound then I become incredibly intolerant of every flaw."

That being said, he went out and bought what could have possibly been THE worst speakers (klh towers) for sale today (at least top ten).

Funny to look back on those things.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2003
    Options
    It's all a learning process I guess. Hopefully Sean will be more than impressed with his 15's once he is able to put some decent amplification into them.
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hello Hello Hello

Anyone here here here?

Guess no one's gonna reply. Bummer.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hey Frank,

I haven't forgotten about you buddy. You were very kind in mailing us the demo cds. Thanks again. I refuse to allow that effort go to waste!

I just got back from a much needed vacation a couple of days ago and have done some listening mostly to get familiar with the music. I will post when I get a chance to demo some more so that I am sure.

I'm sure when I post my results that the others will join in. I may just have to be the icebreaker!

Paul
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Frank sorry but I won't be able to reply and give a full report for a little while. I *will* do it when i have the chance though.

The CD IS GREAT! Thanks.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Okay Frank. Here goes. I finally got my demo on last night.

Equipment used: Rotel RSX 1055 preamp output stage, Rotel RB 1070 amp, Rotel RCD 961 cd player. LSi 15 mains and PSW 350 sub.

Two channel mode for testing. Alternating between sub on and no sub on. With no sub, LSi 15 speaker selected as "large" on the receiver. With sub, LSi 15 set as "small", sub "yes", crossover set at 60 Hz. Subwoofer calibrated 2 db "hotter" than the LSi 15 mains to correct for the Radio Shack low frequency readout on an analog RS decibel meter.

Volume set to 50 / 90 on the Rotel which played to an average of 80 - 85 db continuously from the listening position with peaks over 90 db.

In summary, the LSi 15 played admirably; however, my personal preference is to have the sub playing as well. The bass has more weight to it with the sub on and the bass resonates a little longer after bass notes with more weight to the sound.

Track #1 - Some high frequency stuff. Sounds great on the Vifa tweeters. No bass on this track.

Track #2 - Bass drum being hit. LSi 15 a little thin sounding playing alone. With the sub there is definitely deeper bass and rumble that lingers around longer after the drum is hit.

Track #3 - Some Pink Floyd sounding song with dogs barking in background, peoples voices mumbling, electric guitar riffs. Sounds very good and detailed on the 15s. Not much bass difference between sub and no sub.

Track #4 - Some guy mumbling and drum beats. I didn't notice much difference between sub on or off here.

Track #5 - Good bass on this song. Not much vocals but people humming. I can definitely tell that the bass is deeper with the sub on and there is more weight. Almost "boomy" at times with the PSW 350. Interesting about 3:11 minutes into the song there is a solid continuos bass note that the 350 attempts to pressurize the room with. With just the LSi 15, pressurizing the room just doesn't happen at all.

Track #6 - Starts off with some bass. Good rumble with the sub on. Rumbel that hits and resonates for about 1 - 2 seconds. No rumble with just the LSi 15.

Track #7 - Not much discernable difference in bass here.

Track #8 - same. Mostly flutes/horns/and saxophone i think.

Track #9 - The bass notes at about 1:10 seem to have the same weight to them sub or no sub.

Track #10 - Sax and piano. No difference here.

Track #11 - Female and then male vocals. Can definitely hear some boominess with the sub on and more weight to the bass.

Track #12 - Not much difference here; sub or no sub.

Track #13 - LSi 15 held its own on this track. Slightly more weight to the bass with the sub but not by much. Bass seems to get stronger at the end of the song.

Track #14 - Some kind of Jimi Hendrix remix / cover song. Electric guitar. Not much bass on this song. Sounds the same either way.

Track #15 - Can definitely hear more bass at the beginning of the song with the sub on.

Track #16 - about the same here as well sub or no sub.

Thanks Frank for a great and clean sounding demo cd. It really does sound great with the LSi's. I wish I had a "real" sub like a SVS, Velo, Hsu, etc. to demo with and compare. The LSi 15 actually has a lower FR than the PSW 350 on paper; but in the real world the PSW 350 does reproduce lower notes and moves more air than the LSi 15. Its actually borderline "boomy" with the PSW 350 to me on some tracks.
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Cool! Thanks for getting your review up for us. Hopefully the rest of the Lsi15 Chowder Head Crew will get their butts in gear soon!;)

I'm going to hold off on commenting until everyone has had a chance to post their review. Thanks again for getting it done!
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You know...There are probably a few people reading this thread wondering what the hell we're talking about.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2003
    Options
    What happened on Polk forum, STAY on polk forum ;)

this chowder head has done it, and is waiting for the medication to kick in...(to start writing, that is)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2003
    Options
    "Jerry Rausch gave this CD to me some time ago"

Jerry, what is this CD?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."