Turntable ? Which one to buy.

tapeshc
tapeshc Posts: 135
edited October 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
On a recent visit to a audio store my wife saw a truntable and now she wants a turntable.

Being a starter in high end audio and 2 ch., I would prefer to go with a reasonably priced TT initialy then if we like it then we can continue to keep it.

My budget is $100.00 - $400. Wont prefer a used one unless untill its too cheap & good.

What brands I should look for.

Denon 29F how is that ? or Sony LX350H

I plan to go with ASL Phono stage.

Thanks

Tapesh
Thanks

Tapesh
Post edited by tapeshc on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    I think in this price range the Used market is excellent, why the caution? There are some great values on www.audiogon.com Please don't buy a $100 TT.

Shipping is a concern, but that is easy enough to get ironed out, between the fine individuals here in the forum.

If you really want new...then I think the NAD 533 is <400 new, and a very good TT for a starter platter.

http://www.nadelectronics.com/turntable/533_framset.htm

Just a thought, the TT guys will drop some more information for you I am sure.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    tapeshc,
    Does your $400 budget include the ASL? If yes, your TT/ cartridge funds are down to $150. Not much to work with, but...

A couple questions:
    Why the ASL? Tubes are nice, but if rest of your rig is SS, I'm not sure you'll get the full benefit.
    Are you open to used eq? TT's? Phono pre's?

doro's right about shipping by an individual seller being a concern, but all TT's are shipped, so it's a matter of assuring the prep and packing are done right.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • tapeshc
    edited October 2003
    No ASL is not part of the budget. As of now my Pre and phono are going to be tube. Rotel 1090 is going to be power amplifier. Hopefully this is a good starting point at a very low investment.

And in my another new thread as I have mentioned I have narrowed down my choices to Thorens TD 190/Music Hall's MMF-5.

Both are in or around my budget.
    Thanks

Tapesh
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Found thread #2, repied then found thread #3...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • katya
    katya Posts: 32
    edited October 2003
    Ok what kind of a better turntable if I have a budget from $500
    to $1000 range?
    My Polk Audio Speakers are:
    RTA 11TL>SOLD
    CS 245i
    LS/Fx
    PSW 650
  • tapeshc
    edited October 2003
    It may sound funny that I am advising.

But after lots fo research on internet and after talking to various people here and manufacturers.

Music Hall's MMF-7 seems to be the best choice in that price range. Read its review at http:\\www.audioreview.com

Best price till now I could find was $879.00 incl shipping. He is a authorized dealer can be contacted at

Michael

651-770-9793

Hope this helps !
    Thanks

Tapesh
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2003
    I've found that a turntable with a record clamp is a plus. It holds the lp tight against the platter which acts as if it adds mass to the lp and quiets down feedback and other noises. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Agree on the clamp, but you can buy one for any TT. I would not chose one just because it came with a clamp...

katya,
    In that range I think the Mitchell becomes an option... Someone in the Club has one... Can't remember who right off...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by tapeshc
    Music Hall's MMF-7 seems to be the best choice in that price range.

I strongly agree with tapeshc. I am fairly new to the 2 ch. world, and recently purchased the MMF-7. Before purchasing I did tons of research. I considered tables from Rega, Project, Vpi, etc...

I did most my comparing between the Rega P3 and the MMF-7. The Rega's big plus is that it comes with one of the best tonearms on the market. However by the time you purchase a high quality cartridge for it you are usually above the price of the Music hall. Another down side to me is that you have to purchase an additional kit for the Rega to be able to adjust the VTA on the arm.

Now for the Music hall......First of all it is a split plinth with the platter bearing on the bottom plinth and the tone arm mounted to the top plinth, and the motor sits seperatly completely isolated from the table. Second, this table comes with the very nice Project-9 tone arm, as you may have guessed by my comment about the Rega this one is completely adjustable right out of the box. Last but not least, the arm comes with a high quality Goldring Eroica MC cartridge already mounted and aligned. So you can honestly be spinning your first piece of vinyl in about 15 minutes. Oh I almost forgot, it also comes with a record clamp (another good feature as mentioned by Madmax).

So from what I could find it is next to impossible to beat the overall value of the Music Hall. I was able to purchase mine from a dealer in PA and have it shipped to my door for $850. The prices you find now might be slightly higher than that because the manufacturing price has gone up since then.

I understand you are on a budget, as was I when I started looking. But if you can hold out a little longer and get a table like this I think you will be much happier in the long run. When I started looking I was going to settle, and buy a cheaper table, but then my wife pointed out that if I did that I would just want to turn right around and upgrade to something different. I knew she was right (don't you hate it when they're right!) so I waited and man was it worth it.

Ok I'll shut up now. I hope this helps. Enjoy

Dave
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited October 2003
    In that range I think the Mitchell becomes an option... Someone in the Club has one... Can't remember who right off...
    Gee, who could that be? :p:D
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • madmax
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by dcarlson
    Gee, who could that be? :p:D

Someone with a Michell? Here?

madmax

• madmax
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by tapeshc
    On a recent visit to a audio store my wife saw a truntable and now she wants a turntable.

Tapesh

Actually, it seems to me that the next day you show her the Michell Orbe, cartridge and tube preamp that you just bought for HER! Is that good enough honey? I can't get a refund but I can always trade up if that's not what you want...

madmax