SACD Poll

Options
Bubinga99
Bubinga99 Posts: 283
edited March 2010 in Electronics
Just curious how many SACD'ers there are.
Post edited by Bubinga99 on

Comments

• wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Other

I have an SACD player, but no discs so far. My first gen 80GB PS3 supports it, but have never tried it. Hoping to do so soon though.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I've got an SACD player, but not very many SACD's yet.

Just Dark Side of the Moon, the two Allman Brothers SACD's, plus a couple of the Stones SACD's.

The sound quality on all of them is phenomenal.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have just about 25 SACDs.
  • Tower Boss
    Tower Boss Posts: 52
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Marantz DV9600 & 50+ SACD's
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited March 2010
    Options
    7 players and over 150 sacd's.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Like Curt, above, I have a Player (mid-level Yamaha..looking to upgrade) ....but few discs...will change that when I get back to the states.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Jesse will win this one~

I've had an SACD for over 2 years; have right around 25 discs & a LOT more in the qeue on amazon.com~
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • Hilbert
    Hilbert Posts: 316
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have an Oppo BDP 83 and 10--15 disks. Listened to a couple of them last night and resolved to buy more; sound quality remarkably better than redbook even in 2-channel.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,947
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have 2 players and about 15 SACD's and a couple of DVD A's, 2 of my SACD's I payed good money for, almost stupid money... LOL
  • TNRabbit
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have 2 players and about 15 SACD's and a couple of DVD A's, 2 of my SACD's I payed good money for, almost stupid money... LOL

So it was YOU who bought the Aerosmith "Rocks" SACD on ebay, huh?!?

:D
    TNRabbit
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • Toolfan66
    edited March 2010
    Options
    TNRabbit wrote: »
    So it was YOU who bought the Aerosmith "Rocks" SACD on ebay, huh?!?

:D

:eek: That was stupid money, No I have a couple od SACD's that I payed about $80ea. to me that was almost stupid money but the only way I was going to have them. Alison Krauss & Union Station was one of them $75 bones and I thought that was a deal as it was sealed and I have seen them sell as much as $125 $150.
  • TNRabbit
    edited March 2010
    Options
    :eek: That was stupid money, No I have a couple od SACD's that I payed about $80ea. to me that was almost stupid money but the only way I was going to have them. Alison Krauss & Union Station was one of them $75 bones and I thought that was a deal as it was sealed and I have seen them sell as much as $125 $150.

Are you talking about the Live SACD?
    http://www.amazon.com/Alison-Krauss-Union-Station-Multichannel/dp/B00008NGHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1267791056&sr=8-1
    TNRabbit
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • Pycroft
    Pycroft Posts: 1,960
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have a SACD and one disc. Looking to try out a few more before I decide if it's worth it.

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have the SACD player in my 2 channel rig and 20 SACDs. One of these days I'll buy a better universal player and move the DVD89 to the HT.
  • Toolfan66
    edited March 2010
    Options
    tnrabbit wrote: »

yep!!

My spelling sucked as I was typing from my IPOD...lol
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have a UDP and perhaps a dozen SACD's. I am hooked, but having a helluva time finding stuff I want.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Cassidy
    Cassidy Posts: 87
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I will soon receive a used Oppo DV-980H (universal player) but I have no SACD's yet. I love the mulitchannel music from DVD and blu-ray concerts so I'm expecting to enjoy SACD and DVDA discs as well.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,624
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Denon 3910 and a 2900 plus 80 SACD and 75 DVD-Audio's.....life is good
    If you didn't start your collection 4-5 yrs ago and are just now starting you should re-think getting on this band wagon the affordable titles are drying up and the prices are going through the roof. If your taste in music is classical or something similar then by all means jump on because there are hundreds of those titles out there and still building but for rock and jazz what i bought for 5-7$ are now 50.00 to 200.00 IMHO it's just not worth the chase.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have three players and around 200 sacd, I keep two players in the Rabbit Hole, one can also do DVD-A although I only have 10 of these, but I do enjoy that 10 in rotation.

I suspect Danny has the largest collection of the club,he has some great OOP discs.

RT1
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have 2 Sony CD/SACD changers, a Sony DVD/SACD player and a Denon DVD/SACD player. I have 100± SACDs.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Bubinga99
    Bubinga99 Posts: 283
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I heard my first SACD not long ago, while speaker shopping. It was really an "oh wow!"
    But I've also read reviews of SACD's where people were not as impressed compared to lower-cost versions of the same recording. The gear you have will play some role in that too.

So I've been considering buying a SACD player (or universal player), but the costs of the discs and assembling a collection is holding me back somewhat.

Wondering...

would there be interest in starting an SACD swap/trade "club" where CP members list their collection and arrange dics swaps among members? We seem to have widely-ranging musical tastes here, and that could be a great way to hear a totally new artist or genre of music, as well as hearing old favorites that were transferred to SACD.

Maybe a couple-few SACD's at a time, maybe for 2 weeks then return them, just to see whether you want to buy your own copy of a particular SACD?

There'd be obvious issues of trust to deal with, but that seems like a manageable problem.

Any thoughts? Or maybe this has been tried in the past and didn't work out well?
  • shack
    edited March 2010
    Options
    A lot of my SACDs are OOP and would be difficult to replace...so no...I would not participate in a SACD disc swap. Several of us have taken SACDs to the Polk Fests and most members would be willing to do an in home demo if asked.

The price of entry is not all that bad. You can still pick up titles at or near the same price of a redbook CD.

Here is a basic amazon search just using sacd as the search criteria.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_n_0?rh=n%3A5174%2Ck%3Asacd%2Cn%3A%21301668%2Cn%3A37&bbn=301668&keywords=sacd&ie=UTF8&qid=1267805664&rnid=301668

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have two SACD players and one SACD disk. Something seems backwards here.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • bevo
    bevo Posts: 306
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have an SACD player, but no SACD's. I haven't found one yet that is anything close to what I would listen to more then just to hear how it sounds.

If anything, what is the best sounding quality SACD I should try, just to get a taste of how SACD's sound.
    Denon 1909, want to upgrade for pre outs
    Fronts-polk RTi A5
    center-polk CSi A4
    Sides Polk FXi A6
    rears- polk rm8's
    sub-SVS pb-13 ultra
    Blue ray-ps3
    Panasonic plasma 50 inch
    Buttkicker(don't use or need it anymore since getting the Ultra)
  • shack
    edited March 2010
    Options
    bevo wrote:
    I have an SACD player, but no SACD's. I haven't found one yet that is anything close to what I would listen to more then just to hear how it sounds.

With almost 6,300 SACD titles you would think there would be at least one that you might like.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,019
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have two SACD players and one SACD disk. Something seems backwards here.

That's funny right there. But I'm right behind you.

I also had a player for a yr. and no SACD....so I'm getting there.

I have 1 player and 1 disc.... If I see an rediculously cheap player somewhere..:D.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2010
    Options
    bevo wrote: »

If anything, what is the best sounding quality SACD I should try, just to get a taste of how SACD's sound.

Wow, you don't know what you are missing. What genre of music do you like?
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have 3 SACD players
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have 5 SACD capable players (gotta have spare players) and over 400 SACDs :rolleyes:

Latest SACDs: Sting's "Sacred Love" (why do I think this maybe a snooze-fest?) and the Wallflowers' "Red Letter Days"
  • shack
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    I have 5 SACD capable players (gotta have spare players) and over 400 SACDs :rolleyes:

Latest SACDs: Sting's "Sacred Love" (why do I think this maybe a snooze-fest?) and the Wallflowers' "Red Letter Days"

You are right about Sting...not his best work at all. I bought the redbook CD cheap (glad I did) and would not spend the extra coin for the SACD. I have the Wallflowers SACD and it is very good.