Polk LSi question

Options
Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited October 2003 in Speakers
Just hooked up my Polk LSi speakers and noticed something strange that I didn't think I would encounter. They are bi-ampalbe speakers, which I'm doing at the moment, but they are wired oddly in my opinion.

The one binding post set that I have 1 channel of amplification hooked up to ONLY powers the tweeter. Then the other binding post powers TWO 5.25" drivers and an 8" woofer. I would think Polk would have had the tweeter wired in with some other driver(s) and the 8" maybe on its own channel but that's not the case. What I'm currently doing for a few months until I can afford an amp is running the rear channels into the speakers as well and just running 5-channel stereo, using 4 of the 5 channels, 2 per speaker. This way I get more power and I don't throw a 4-ohm load into my weak little HK AVR230 receiver.

Anyone that could clarify why Polk would do this would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited October 2003
    Options
    correct me if i am wrong, but biamped each load is still 4 ohms, you are just sending two 4 ohm loads instead of one.

I think your 5 channel stereo mode idea is a bad idea, but whatever floats your boat.
  • Rotarydude
    Rotarydude Posts: 40
    edited October 2003
    Options
    yep he's right, you are still using 4-ohms only way to run 8 ohms is wiring them series :)

you probably won't overload the reciever if you keep volume down, and not expect 85db+

Good luck, all LSi series requires really good amps. Even my $3k DTR 9.1 have trouble driving all my LSi
    Family room:
    2xLSi25, 1xLSiC, 4xLSiFX, SVS 20-39PC+, PT-52DL52, TS160, DTR 9.1, DVR985, DVL-700, CDP-C910, Panamax 5500 connected by Canare (4S11 w/Vampire and L-5CFB)

Masterbed room:
    2xAR312-HO, 1xAR4C, 2xAR15, NHT Subone, WT-46805, SR-HD500, M-VR900, Denon 1600, Monster HTS-3500 connected by Monster Cables

Waiting:
    Denon 5900, Denon 2200, and a 7 Channel 4ohm stable amp!
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You guys need to research impedance some more :D It's running dual 8-ohm loads. When the metal connector is between the binding posts it makes the connection a "parallel" connection, which drops the impedance down to 4-ohms like Polk says. Trust me on this one. But what is REALLY pissing me off is the way Polk wired the internals of this speaker. I wrote the same question on AVS Forum and here was my reply today...

Yes, I'm still pretty miffed about it. I had intentions on getting a 7-channel amp and running 4 of the channels on the LSi15s thinking each post would power 2 of the 4 speakers. I wanted to purchase the Outlaw 7100 which is 7x100 @ 8-ohms. Now what will happen is the tweeter will get 100 watts and the dual 5.25" and the 8" woofer will get 100 watts, 33% of what the tiny 1" tweeter will get. The only other option I have is to get a larger 5-channel amp so the fronts can get enough power. Gah, I'm MAD! LoL! :mad:
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Why not just get a more powerful 2ch amp and a 3ch for the center and surrounds?

Maurice
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited October 2003
    Options
    mmm i guess I was wrong, it seems like biamping would yield two nominal 8 ohm loads. Biwiring on the other hand, still a 4 ohm load.