Surround Installation Help

Options
donahue
donahue Posts: 125
edited October 2003 in Speakers
Hi,

I am currently in the process of running speaker wire into a rear wall for my surrounds. I have access to the wall from a crawlspace undeneath. The only problem that I can forsee is that this rear wall used to be the outside wall of the house and now it is the inside wall of an addition that we had put on. Therefore, there is a rim joist undeneath this wall. Can anyone offer any pointers on drilling through this rim joist into the wall above? Will this even be necessary or will I still be able to drill through the footer?

Thanks in advance,

ray
Post edited by donahue on

Comments

• bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Well, I can't really help you much with your question, but I just wanted to say that's one hell of a system you've got there! NAD is killer. I don't have any, but they should always be on anybody's short list of equipment to buy. Have you had any reliability issues with them?
  • donahue
    donahue Posts: 125
    edited October 2003
    Options
    No, the only problem I have had is that the standby light on the receiver has gone out. To me, this is not a big deal and would probably cost too much to fix. Eventually, I hope to upgrade to a later NAD model.
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Yeah, they are nice. I put them into about the same class as Rotel, music first and features second. B&K is at the top of that class/range in my book, followed by Rotel and NAD, then comes HK, Denon, etc.
  • thehalo8
    thehalo8 Posts: 127
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hey Ray,

I live in south Florida, and a majority of us don't have crawl space under our houses. I put my wire up through my internal wall, through the attic, and down through the outside wall to my rear surrounds. I had a metal plate capping the top of the cinder block on the outside wall, which was not that difficult to drill through. Getting the wire back out the hole in the back wall was the real trick (took about an hour to get them both through!!!)

Mike
    Mains: Polk RTi70's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surrounds: Polk TC60i's
    Sub: Polk PSW505
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS696
    TV: Samsung HLS 5687W 56"
    DVD: Sony DVP S5300
    Protection: Monster HTS 3600
    Backup Battery: Belkin AP3080010
  • paymontana
    paymontana Posts: 234
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I drilled holes down through the floor right at the tac strip for the carpet and then removed the base board and fished it up through the floor, across a notch in the tac strip and up the dry wall . Then replace the base board. Under -neath the base board and behind the tac strip is an excellent place to conceal wire around the perimeter of the room. The only place you have to be careful is doorways. I hoped I helped.
    "It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ****."