Ripped off by Polk. Baught RM6000 for $499

vvemuri
vvemuri Posts: 2
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I feel totally ripped off by Polk.

I bought Polk RM6000 for $499 in December. Now they can
be had for $299. This is the last Polk purchase I will make.

:(
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited January 2002
    Depending on where you bought it, you might be able to get a refund for the difference, if it's been less than 30 days or so.

I don't think that's a reason to be angry at Polk, however. Price drops just happen..... It's irritating when it happens so soon after you buy, but that's just the way it goes sometimes...

Jason
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2002
    .....and this is Polk's fault because _________ ?

I can understand being irritated but it isn't Polk's fault. I would be more p.o'd at the place you bought them.

Look, products get discontinued and updated all the time from cars to appliances etc. and the old models are then available at a good discount. That's capitalism in action my friends.

Of course, Bose has been **** people for years with the same products that they jack the prices on every year.....Micah, Paul, are you taking notes??

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited January 2002
    i'd like to know where in the hell you can find them that damn cheap! i know polk drops their prices every once in a while, but i didn't know that would mark down a new product that much.

joe :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2002
    That was an intelligent post....

Someone call the WHAAAAAAAmbulance.

R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited January 2002
    I bought my Denon 3801, 2 months later I could of had the 3802 or 4800 for the same price. Am I pissed a Denon NO, the place I bought it from YES. For not telling me this would happen when they knew it was going to. Won't buy there again but O'well thats life. I could also think of a lot more to be pissed off at in this world then just 200 bones.
    Chris :)
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited January 2002
    "You can't satisfy all of the people all of the time."

As was said before, it's not Polk's fault. Go **** at the dealer for not alerting you of the price drop.

John
    No excuses!
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited January 2002
    the dealer is always out for the$$ .
    Bought an onkyo receiver a few years back paid $800 for it 5 months later same receiver same store $400.. a little upset ..yes but hey that is what happens when you want things..
    buy a car drive it off the lot you lose money in your investment with every mile.
    you buy now you will always find it cheaper later.
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited January 2002
    Price increases, decreases in electronics are...
    Retailers are...

The only question is:
    How does it sound?

If your happy with the performance of the unit,
    then there is no reason to blame polk.

-luc
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    i agree, for $499 you still got the best sound for the money you could. i too, would be irritated if it's now $200 cheaper, but that's not polk's fault. i would suggest contacting your retailer and let them know your feelings...
  • cimmy
    cimmy Posts: 7
    edited January 2002
    I am sorry to hear that you where jiped by the store. I guess that is the price we pay for livinng in a money diven sociaty. I had a simaliar thing happen to me when I bought my R 40's. I had went into a local store that spiecalises in high end audio, a place that if it wheren't so far out of my way I would be there at least twice a week with droll cup in hand. At least untill they sold my speakers, that they ordered for me from another store only two days prior, out from under me to a person buying several thousand dollars worth of equipment. The only reason I know this is because they were dumb enough to tell me the actall reason. I then let Him know that Circut City just got my money. :mad:
    Shhhh.... Don't let My wife know. She thinks that I am buying flowers.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    sound like a **** place cimmy, i wouldn't give them any of your future purchases pulling something like that...
  • vvemuri
    vvemuri Posts: 2
    edited January 2002
    You are absolutely right - I am very happy with my speakers.
    I guess that is all it matters. I believe it is a steal at $299.
    Look in J&R ad in New York Times or jandr website for the price.

I guess many times, I am a beneficiary of incredibly low prices.
    It all evens out sometime.

Not Polk's fault, of course. I was a little POd regarding the
    incredible markups and Polk capitulating to dealers' high margins.

That's all.

:o
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2002
    I think if you go price comparable products from Boston, Klipsch, Bose, B&W, Paradigm....etc. You are going to find that Polk's prices are comparable and in most cases lower and that the markup rates are very similar.

You want a company that really twists the arms of dealers? Bose and Paradigm. I think you will find Polk's strategy pretty liberal compared to them.

I can see you being pissed and all but you are still a little off base.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited January 2002
    Troy's pretty much right on this one. Sorry for the bum deal, vvemuri, but I would contact your dealer and see if there's a chance you had a "best price guarantee" or something. We really don't manipulate prices from the corporate level. We set a price, and the individual dealer works around that however they see fit. It's pretty straightforward on our part. But, as with promos and stuff, we allow a lot of dealer leeway. Check it out. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the speakers!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited January 2002
    Dont worry, you still got great value for money, worldwide bose ripoff customers with crap quality and sound ten fold so enjoy your polks knowing for the money you have good sound and quality.:)
    The Wonder From Downunder