advantage to inverted surrounds?

Options
nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited October 2003 in Speakers
Can someone explain to me the advantages of an inverted surround, or even if there are any? I've seen anything from $10 computer speakers to my mid-line 70's RS speakers (which sound pretty nice) to ultra-high-end stuff. Is it just hype, or do inverted surrounds sound better?

nadams
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• scornful
    scornful Posts: 272
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I'm still fairly new at mid to high end audio, but what exactly is an inverted surround?
    Denon 3802
    B&K 7270
    Outlaw ICBM
    Behringer DSP1124P
    Samson S1000
    SVS 20-39CS+ (x2)
    RTi150's
    CSi40
    FXi30's
    RTi38's
    Win Vista HTPC
    InFocus 4805 ~100" Screen
  • nadams
    edited October 2003
    Options
    An inverted surround is where the surround on the speaker cone is flipped over, so that it curves in instead of out.

In the following picture, the surrounds on the 8" woofers that are in the top pair of speakers, are inverted. They're RadioShack Nova 6 speakers
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited October 2003
    Options
    here's a better close up of that woofer:

DSC00002.JPG
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    edited October 2003
    Options
    No difference I would think, allows more excursion.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nadams
    edited October 2003
    Options
    that would be a difference, then.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • erinrobb
    erinrobb Posts: 16
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I thought you were talking about just turning the speaker upside-down, and boy was I ever puzzled! ;)
  • nadams
    edited October 2003
    Options
    anyone know any more differences?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I don't know of any sonic differences.

Russman knows for sure, but I believe the old Advent speakers had inverted surrounds....and thougths Russ?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited October 2003
    Options
    When my son was a little younger, we had some trouble with inverted dustcaps and tweeter domes. I think we have that corrected now. :)

My dad had a pair of those RS Nova 6's with the inverted surrounds, at one time. Don't know for sure what difference it would make, though.

Jason